• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

could we have been wiser when cars were made?

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
  • lately i've been thinking about how cars have affected us and it seems they don't really help us much, i mean just look at it this way: now that cars and roads are everywhere people without them can barely get around, before cars there were open towns where you could easily walk across to the other side in a few minutes or even seconds but now you have to get in your car and wait 5 minutes at each traffic light just to get from wendys to MCdonalds, now with all these cars people are getting asthma and getting hit by cars, with all the cars theres no reason to have local business because you can just drive to walmart and save a few bucks by buying eggs of lesser quality and this makes the economy worse. maybe if we didn't put so many road in we all would have been better off, maybe just some roads to connect far away places would be better. what do you think?

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    lately i've been thinking about how cars have affected us and it seems they don't really help us much, i mean just look at it this way: now that cars and roads are everywhere people without them can barely get around, before cars there were open towns where you could easily walk across to the other side in a few minutes or even seconds but now you have to get in your car and wait 5 minutes at each traffic light just to get from wendys to MCdonalds, now with all these cars people are getting asthma and getting hit by cars, with all the cars theres no reason to have local business because you can just drive to walmart and save a few bucks by buying eggs of lesser quality and this makes the economy worse. maybe if we didn't put so many road in we all would have been better off, maybe just some roads to connect far away places would be better. what do you think?

Cars are definitely not a bad thing. And its just progress. People are always going to be trying to get further faster. In rural areas cars are even more essential and less troublesome because the people are so far away from each other and there is so little traffic. Only in very crowded cities would it be any faster to walk somewhere than to drive. I get what you mean, roads make everything look dirty and homogenized, but they do more good than bad. Also I dont know if cars are the cars are the cause of asthma or of people going to more big corporate stores instead of small private businesses.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • lately i've been thinking about how cars have affected us and it seems they don't really help us much, i mean just look at it this way: now that cars and roads are everywhere people without them can barely get around, before cars there were open towns where you could easily walk across to the other side in a few minutes or even seconds but now you have to get in your car and wait 5 minutes at each traffic light just to get from wendys to MCdonalds, now with all these cars people are getting asthma and getting hit by cars, with all the cars theres no reason to have local business because you can just drive to walmart and save a few bucks by buying eggs of lesser quality and this makes the economy worse. maybe if we didn't put so many road in we all would have been better off, maybe just some roads to connect far away places would be better. what do you think?

... The days were not better when we didn't have cars, at all. Without cars people have to grow their own crops to sell and survive. Now lets remember back to when the people had to grow these farms. They needed large labor forces that had to be on site at all times because travel was too hard. Thus it was harder to abolish slavery in the south (it wasn't just because the south was full of illiterates (which is also false)). Also cars help our economy by increasing the amount of people can work far from their homes, also uniting the country better (before you could stay in you town or maybe two others, but that was it.)

Yes short distances like a walk across the street are easy, but most people don't just carelessly drive like that, most times I choose to walk on base but if I have to go off, I will always go with a car.

Also cars don't promote big businesses in the way that you say, that is generalizing it. Yes it would be cheaper to get eggs at wal mart, but people don't have the drive (pun) to go out of their way in this manner. In other words, people don't always think in terms of money but convenience, and how many people actually compare prices? (The people who do will go out of their way to a wal mart anyways). Also what would stop wal mart from simply moving closer to where the houses are?

Small towns are nice, but they didn't do much for any country's economy. Also if we had less roads wouldn't that make cars less efficient (traffic is terrible on highways).

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
    Years
  • ... The days were not better when we didn't have cars, at all. Without cars people have to grow their own crops to sell and survive. Now lets remember back to when the people had to grow these farms. They needed large labor forces that had to be on site at all times because travel was too hard. Thus it was harder to abolish slavery in the south (it wasn't just because the south was full of illiterates (which is also false)). Also cars help our economy by increasing the amount of people can work far from their homes, also uniting the country better (before you could stay in you town or maybe two others, but that was it.)

Yes short distances like a walk across the street are easy, but most people don't just carelessly drive like that, most times I choose to walk on base but if I have to go off, I will always go with a car.

Also cars don't promote big businesses in the way that you say, that is generalizing it. Yes it would be cheaper to get eggs at wal mart, but people don't have the drive (pun) to go out of their way in this manner. In other words, people don't always think in terms of money but convenience, and how many people actually compare prices? (The people who do will go out of their way to a wal mart anyways). Also what would stop wal mart from simply moving closer to where the houses are?

Small towns are nice, but they didn't do much for any country's economy. Also if we had less roads wouldn't that make cars less efficient (traffic is terrible on highways).
    i'm not saying we would be better off without them, i'm saying that maybe we shouldn't have made it so we have to use them so much. for example i used to try to ride my bike since the store is close by but a highway with no bike lane and deep ditches was made right next to my house so it's too dangerous to ride my bike there now, also when i say it made the economy worse i meant that if we didn't use cars so much we would be likely to have more local stores to open up and more people would go to them instead of driving 5 miles to a chain store in another town that makes all of its merchandise in china or some other country

#isthenumbersign
    Years
  • No one could've guessed how dependent we would be on cars, or the negative effects that could've arisen. People just try to make things more efficient, and by creating the car they've done just that.

And buying merchandise made in China helps the economy does it not? Foreign trade is good as far as I know. The way you're saying it, it sounds like you think no cars would promote small domestic companies. But automobiles affects the whole globe, you can't think of its scope as just within one country.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    i'm not saying we would be better off without them, i'm saying that maybe we shouldn't have made it so we have to use them so much. for example i used to try to ride my bike since the store is close by but a highway with no bike lane and deep ditches was made right next to my house so it's too dangerous to ride my bike there now, also when i say it made the economy worse i meant that if we didn't use cars so much we would be likely to have more local stores to open up and more people would go to them instead of driving 5 miles to a chain store in another town that makes all of its merchandise in china or some other country

Roads already take up enough room without all of them having bike lanes and sidewalks. As nice as it would be if there was, there just isnt room for all of it. And the thing about people going to chain stores instead of local stores doesnt really have much to do with cars. Also its pretty rare to find even a very small town that doesnt have its own walmart. At least where Im from.

And I dont think where the product was manufactured has much to do with its effect on the economy. Except for that if people buy products made in the USA it makes more jobs for US manufacturers. And yeah, shopping at chain stores is bad for the economy because it puts all the money in the hands of a small group of people. But people arent going to go out of their way to goto small local stores when chain stores have better prices and more convenience.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Enviromentally, cars could have been better from the start.

The only reason they weren't was because gas was dirt cheap back then, the enviromental effects were not known/understood that well, and by the time we did realize the effects the oil companys had entrenched themselves enough to stop the majority of early research into alternative energy sources and vehicles.

Even today, they still try to stop it. It's harder for them now, with the free exchange of information (meaning that now, almost everyone knows just what negative impacts gas and deseil vehicles have on our enviroment).

Edit
    http://rense.com/general72/oinvent.htm

Last edited:
    Years
  • Only in very crowded cities would it be any faster to walk somewhere than to drive.
    Not exactly true. While it's true that the difference between having cars and having nothing but your own legs would make cars the fastest option in most cases, there are alternatives to cars besides walking.

I lived in Japan, in an area of the country that was quite rural for the most part. I could take a train to get from my city to a nearby city in an hour and a half whereas a car would take 3 hours to get there. I could also go between parts of the city by train and have it be faster than driving. Within the city I lived in there were subways, too, and they were about as fast as cars depending on how close you were to a station or how easily you could find parking.

Plus you didn't always need to go far to get to everything you wanted/needed because it was a city, and not even a super-crowded city.

Back