• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Why are you making your ROM hack?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
So I got asked the other day "why am I spending so much time on making my ROM hack".

Well I enjoy it a lot but there must have been another reason. Ever since I was a kind, it's kinda been a dream to make my own video game, espically a pokemon one. It's something I have always been interested in and I find it a lot of fun. It's also the greatest feeling in the world when you accomplish something and people acknowledge your hard work.

So my question for you guys is, why are you guys making your ROM hack?

What is it about ROM that makes you so determined you are willing to sacrifice hours on end to create something for others to play?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I hack games since like 2 or 3 years (I discovered Pokémon hacking this year, though) and since then, I deem ROM hacking as my hobby. I do it just to waste some time and also because it is really interesting making games, because you have control over everything and you can share with the world what would you do if you were the one who created any game.

Now, I spend hours making something for others because I want other people to enjoy games, too. For example, when you finish every Pokémon game it can get kind of old, with the only new thing being different teams, but, when you are playing a ROM hack you have no idea what to expect and it is like a new game.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Mmmm.

sssshhhh.....
Le pug is talking.

Because building a pokemon hack is not just for fun, it's a learning experience. You learn a language that you (for most) have never seen before. You also get to be creative by using your artistic abilities to create maps, whether they be your personal tilesets or not. You are also creating a story and writing stories is a great way to become smarter, as you have to think of a story that is intriguing enough for everyone else to want to follow. The many events of trial and error you encounter in scripting also tests your patience and your ability to troubleshoot and fix things. This makes you handy and reliable and will help you go far in life. Besides all that, yeah it's a time killer and it's productive instead of just playing a game, you're building one.

...okay le pug is done.
still sssshhhh.....

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
Years
Mmmm.

sssshhhh.....
Le pug is talking.

Because building a pokemon hack is not just for fun, it's a learning experience. You learn a language that you (for most) have never seen before. You also get to be creative by using your artistic abilities to create maps, whether they be your personal tilesets or not. You are also creating a story and writing stories is a great way to become smarter, as you have to think of a story that is intriguing enough for everyone else to want to follow. The many events of trial and error you encounter in scripting also tests your patience and your ability to troubleshoot and fix things. This makes you handy and reliable and will help you go far in life. Besides all that, yeah it's a time killer and it's productive instead of just playing a game, you're building one.

...okay le pug is done.
still sssshhhh.....
Totaly agree,
couldn't said it better myself!

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Mmmm.

sssshhhh.....
Le pug is talking.

...okay le pug is done.
still sssshhhh.....

That was beautiful! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Back