• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I had an iPad Air for a week and I returned it. I was hoping it would take some usage away from my Macbook and give me something to just surf before bed, carry around the house, etc. but it had some annoyances that I just couldn't get past. Mostly the lack of multitasking - I'm the type of person that will be IMing on Skype and having a Youtube video open in the background while browsing, and not being able to switch between apps easily was just a deal-breaker for me.

I do kind of want a tablet again just for the instances I would use it over my laptop (taking it to the kitchen for recipes and things like that, playing some Hearthstone matches while watching TV in the living room, etc.), but I think I'd just go with a cheaper Android one rather than a $300+ iPad.

You could always go with a Windows 8 tablet as well. Windows 8 does have built-in multitasking between apps and the desktop, or you could just push the open windows side-by-side on the desktop. :)

I'd easily recommend the Dell Venue 8 Pro, although it isn't necessarily cheap. It was less expensive than my 2013 Nexus 7, though.

Or, if you really don't care about pretty much everything, the HP Stream 7. Do be warned that it's a 16 GB device, but you do also get free Office 365 Personal for a year.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I tried installing Gentoo, so far so good.
    Unfortunately, when I use the command emerge -rv kde-meta, it lists packages and their required USE flags. Unfortunately, I don't know how to handle this x_x

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • You could always go with a Windows 8 tablet as well. Windows 8 does have built-in multitasking between apps and the desktop, or you could just push the open windows side-by-side on the desktop. :)

I'd easily recommend the Dell Venue 8 Pro, although it isn't necessarily cheap. It was less expensive than my 2013 Nexus 7, though.
    Not really interested in Windows tablets...might as well just use a laptop. :P
    Exploring mobile-specific apps is a major part of why I'd like a tablet in the first place, and the Windows app store is severely lacking compared to the Google and Apple app stores.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Not really interested in Windows tablets...might as well just use a laptop. :P
    Exploring mobile-specific apps is a major part of why I'd like a tablet in the first place, and the Windows app store is severely lacking compared to the Google and Apple app stores.

Haha, yeah, appiness is a thing, too. :P

Sometimes it does make me wish everything was available for everything at the same time.

Duckface

Eating Souls Everyday
    Years
  • Just by experimenting. I learnt how the fan cools down the CPU, by taking apart my laptop bit by bit, and using a book so I know what things are, and what they do. Although I started off with software I still love hardware more then it.

Years
  • Not really interested in Windows tablets...might as well just use a laptop. :P
    That makes sense. I honestly didn't think about the lack of apps from the Windows store when I made that post. :P So yeah, Android tablet for sure if you ever want to get one.

Also, this DCC is now dedicated to my birthday. :P

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Even though it's not as complete as Android's Google Play, I think Windows Store is quite decent and special for being also available to the Windows 8 in PC, because thanks to it, I'm able to use some software and even playing some of the mobile games inside of my laptop.

However, Android will still be my choice if it comes to mobile phone, I'm not sure of tablets yet, though.

And happy birthday, Zach :)

Last edited:

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I'm always told that Android tablets lack "tablet" apps. As the owner of an iPad Air, I know iPads have plenty of tablet-optimised apps and Android tabs used to lack them, but is it still the same today? I'm thinking of switching to an Android tablet because iOS just doesn't seem "right" for a tablet.

Anyway, happy birthday Zach. I know I've already wished you in Celebrations, but have a blast.

Years
  • Unlike iOS apps (separated between iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad), Android apps are all-in-one and can determine how it looks based on whether you use a tablet or a phone. Some apps are separate between tablet and phone (like DirecTV's apps for Android), but for the most part, the apps for Android optimize themselves fairly well for tablets.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Me, I can live pretty fine with even a Windows RT tablet, since I tend to use tablets and phones as more like "Internet browser in hardware form" and "actual phone".

I want an x86 Windows 10 tablet, though. Maybe someone will make a good one in the future that's 10.6" and doesn't have an excessively beefy CPU.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • This sure is a lot of fun. Thought I'd share it here in case you guys'd want to play Progressive and name your price on the thing... heh.

Anyway, this is the PC I'm looking to build for myself. The 750 will give my PC a needed boost for MC on 1080p, and plus will make things smooth enough with games like AoEIIHD and RCT2 on that large display, hopefully. I'm getting the i3-4370 for its clock rate and am debating turning one core off to save power as well – my friend Alex says the RAM is overkill though, as much as Photoshop would love it. I think for the price, why not? It's all in all around $900 including peripherals and a GPU, all from Amazon with Prime... it's good, I think. Maybe others might not think so, who knows.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Anyway, this is the PC I'm looking to build for myself. The 750 will give my PC a needed boost for MC on 1080p, and plus will make things smooth enough with games like AoEIIHD and RCT2 on that large display, hopefully. I'm getting the i3-4370 for its clock rate and am debating turning one core off to save power as well – my friend Alex says the RAM is overkill though, as much as Photoshop would love it. I think for the price, why not? It's all in all around $900 including peripherals and a GPU, all from Amazon with Prime... it's good, I think. Maybe others might not think so, who knows.

It does look really nice, but I agree with Alex on the amount of installed system memory being straight-up overkill. I think you can use the money saved to buy an internal HDD in addition to the SSD, or upsize it. I don't recommend going below 256 GB-tier SSDs if it's going to be the only internal drive.

Years
  • As the topic title says... :P it's not my birthday anymore lmao

I find myself not using half of the devices I own sometimes, and it often makes me wonder why I even own them.

Years
  • As the topic title says... :P it's not my birthday anymore lmao

I find myself not using half of the devices I own sometimes, and it often makes me wonder why I even own them.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    As the topic title says... :P it's not my birthday anymore lmao

Hehe. Maybe we're all secretly dragons hoarding gadgets

I find a use for almost everything I use, though.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think I'm going to hold off and not do my entire build in one fell swoop... so as to hasten things along. I've really shaved off a lot from a financial standpoint, and it is still looking great. I'm happy.

As for "devices" of mine, could I say… I don't have any? All I've got is this netbook and two motherboards I use as guinea pigs with some old IDE HDDs and spare 2½" drives. I fix others' computers with those PCs.

Years
  • There are a handful of devices that I have, and if I still knew where my old Dell laptop was I would see how well that holds up. Even though I got that in late 2010 and it's probably long past done by now, haha. I don't buy devices for nothing.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Just a few more months until my laptop reaches its first birthday without incident. Hopefully I don't jinx it with that statement. (I have been much more careful with it. :P)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Hey guys, just a really quick Q&A. Does having wi-fi and mobile data on simultaneously cause problems for phones?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back