• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Forum Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
If you have any ideas for improvement of the forums, stick 'em up here and they'll be considered, with a vote, because I've got an idea myself. ^^

1. Re-do the Drawing Board thing. Honestly, I think it's dead, and nobody gives feedback there. I think we should have a set of RPer's who give advice, and general information out to people who post there, helping them delve into their RP's, lengthen it, and make it grow into a better plot in general. Because currently, nobody's giving advice, and I know that when I posted MY roleplay idea in there, I got zero replies.

2. The universal roleplay that is being discussed in Nagoyaka Aikouka's thread, where it helps newer roleplayers get the hang of how the roleplaying at PC works (because it's different then most other sites from what I know)

So basically you can express your opinions on these ideas, post your own ideas, and vote yes or no for the ideas brainstormed in this thread.

Use the number order, such as, my 1. and 2. would be set up like this:

1. That's an idea, I think it's great! I vote yes!

2. Er, I dunno, that could have both negative, and positive outcomes. I'm neutral on this one.

And,

3. Your own idea.

Hopefully that wasn't confusing, but basically, don't use the same number again once someone else has used it. If I'm not too lazy, I'll list a brief summary of each idea here in the first post....if.

Whispering Winds

Kirby Dance! (>'-')> <('-'<)
Years
I've got one idea. I'm not sure how well this would work, but I think it would help both veteran and new roleplayers improve skills.

3. Set up an organized roleplaying school. It would require a group of 'teachers,' comprised of the most elite roleplayers on PC who wish to cooperate. To become a teacher, one would either have to submit a roleplay sample and be accepted, or recieve an invitation from whoever is in charge of the whole thing.

There would be a thread for 'students' to post in if they are interested in taking either personal or group lessons with the teachers. It might be a good idea to allow the students to request a certain teacher since everyone has a different style of roleplaying that might be easier or harder for each student to learn from. After a teacher is assigned to a student, they would conduct lessons over PMs, or by IMing each other. The method of communication would be agreed upon by both the student and the teacher. It might be possible to also conduct group sessions in certain IM programs.

Also, I vote Yes for both of Bell's ideas, particularly the second one. If the roleplaying school is created, students could test what they've learned from private lessons in the universal roleplaying environment.

Last edited:

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
3. It was an idea that was discussed in the other thread, but it depends on who would actually participate, etc etc.

David said that we shouldn't have singled out roleplayers, for equality. In a way, I agree with him, but then all three of our ideas wouldn't work. ^^; *Shot* I know that I personally didn't care that I wasn't considered an expert roleplayer, and I knew who was, so the sense of equality was never really...er, there for me in the first place.

4. Equality amongst roleplayers. This idea would kill the other three, which is why I'm putting it up as an 'idea'. What do you guys think? Do you care, do you not give a ****, do you think it's something that we need, or what? I personally think we can restrict it to the roleplaying lounge, since that is where the last two ideas save for my second one would go.

5. Charizard_Maa (GENDER BENDER *shot*) was telling me he'd never even seen the roleplay lounge, because the only direct link to it is in the other roleplay forum. Think we should add a link to the Pokemon Roleplay Forums? Because important announcements get booted to the lounge, and may be a reason why some pokemon roleplayers miss some of the announcements. (The ones who go to the Pokemon Roleplay forums and only the Pokemon Roleplay forums) I personally could care less, but I thought it was an idea we should think about. *shot*

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
Years
Hmmm, 1, I approve of, 2, I'm not sure I grasp this "universal" RP thread. (I seriously need to bug parents for more online time...) But it seems good fomr what little I know. I personally approve of 4 and 5 as well. However, I have no idea what you mean by "Equality" For 4.

I'm not giving this a number because it's not really something to voteupon, but just the random musings of my brain. If we do impliment an education system, we need incentives. Because as I see it, not everyone who needs it is eager to hone their skills. Either they don't think that it's worth it, or they don't believe that they really neeed it, which is a huge waste, as I see it.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Good point, but there are roleplayers who know they need to work on their skills, as rare as it is these days.

Equality, which means, no roleplayers are singled out. Such as the Drawing Board idea. I would have to single out 4-5 roleplayers who agree to help people elaborate on their roleplays. David says we're trying for equality, but then, there was my view of it when I was a wee litt'al n00b, where I knew people were better at roleplaying then me, therefore, the equality was never there for me personally, so I wanted to know if you felt there was an equality, etc etc. (But as the human mind works, we've all got our little 'ranks', so I guess equality is kind of discarded.)

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Personally, I think the only way a roleplayer CAN get any better is if he/she is singled out occasionally. If you don't stop and point out the person's mistakes to them personally, they'll never really understand it, and not get better.

And that kind of defeats the entire purpose we're looking for.

I'm not saying that we should jump down the throats of our students, I just know that we need to correct them individually, lest things get out of hand quickly. Politeness is the key, and I think, with that, we'll reach some sort of an "equal" basis. We're all treated as RPers, but there are always going to be those that are better than ourselves, and we must acknowledge and accept this.

I'm still very, VERY for the whole "Universal RP" bit. Thus, to keep in the rules of this thread, I shall do the following...

6. My ideas from my own thread stand firm and strong in my mind. A city-scaled RP with a mapped out city including housing, cafes, movie theaters, book stores, malls, so on and so forth would give EVERYONE something to do, and new RPers could jump in at any time without worrying about where the plot currently is or who they need to talk to to actually get involved. If we're worried about the actual plot deficiency(sp?), I would personally take on responsibility for providing maps, and pre-announced activities for the entire city (i.e. dances, dollar movie nights, disco spectaculars... ehehehe...)

7. If the city RP starts becomming too crowded and there's just too much going on, the overflow new RPers will be provided with a list of willing RPers who have been chosen to be on the list based on their RPing skills. These RPers could then RP one on one with thier "tutor" if you will.

Hopefully, using the two of them, we'll be able to cycle RPers in and out fast enough to keep up!

Just my two cents.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
The issue with most ideas I've read in here is the fact that you need members willing to participate. We can't make RPers who need the help go through with this, nor can we provide any sort of incentive other than the assurance that they'll get better. A lot of ideas that have said have been tried in the past, and to my knowledge, they've failed do to inactivity, and the fact that members just don't want to learn from others, amoung other reasons. =/

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
I'm speaking from prior experience, but like Axel mentioned, the enthusiasm for what seems to be a tactical plan is often drenched by the lack of participants available once it has started. Despite trying to retain polite manners and the will to help, inactivity will invariably dominate, unless you can definitely obtain more RPers.

I agree with the drawing board, though, if (like I said), you get a group of determined people who are willing to sacrifice time and patience.

This is just my small add-in, though. ^_^;

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Yes, but not all of these ideas require participation that depends on other roleplayers, nor does it even involve universal participation at all. < <;; Also, for the roleplay I had suggested, with a good flexible plot, it shouldn't be a problem getting roleplayers, and if no roleplayer that needs improvement joins, then so be it, it will become a regular roleplay.

Besides, you always gotta try to see the outcome right? ^^ There's really no harm in trying the idea, and if it fails it fails, and we all move on! It's no biggie if nobody wants to participate in whatever plan we cook up, we'll leave it for the future generation of members to cook it back up! Besides...*eye glint* We've got new staff in town and this girl ain't gonna sit and let it pass like she's a fat sloth (not saying that I'm not,) so...*cracks whip* Failure is plan B.

xDDDDDD *showered with bullets*

*dodge! MATRIX STYLE!*

*fall*

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
You're free to do whatever you wish if that's what you feel, but I'm just saying...irony is,

Besides, you always gotta try to see the outcome right? ^^ There's really no harm in trying the idea, and if it fails it fails, and we all move on! It's no biggie if nobody wants to participate in whatever plan we cook up, we'll leave it for the future generation of members to cook it back up!

You are the 'future generation' of the past plans that were similar to this. XD

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Well I mean the future future generation, sorry if I didn't make that clear. ^^;; I meant the future generation after myself, because since I am the future generation, I naturally would not refer to myself as so, I would refer to myself as the 'present generation', but then that would mean that you guys- okay I'ma gonna shut up now. < <;; *shot*

History is bound to repeat itself yes? ^^ Be it video games or real life, it always finds a way to come back and ***** slap us twice! *Shot*

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
[COLOR=#CCC6699]If you want to generate interest... well... GAH! NUMBER THINGY!!

*clears throat*

8. To help get interest and maintain interest, I believe the following things should be done:

A. There should be banners made. One for those viewed as good enough RPers to be tutors, one for those in the program (be it the huge RP or the tutorialss), and one for those who have "graduated" so to speak. People love banners and buttons and things. The banner doesn't have to be huge, and in fact, smaller would probably be better!

B. An announcement should be put up in Other Roleplay, Pokemon Roleplay, and the Announcement section on PC. This will get many people to see what we're doing, and if the announcements are done right, it will generate a TON of interest. The announcements should have the date that the entire thing will be starting, preferably about a month after the announcement is posted. That way, more people will be able to see it and get ready to join!!

Once again, my two-cents. Although, I suppose this is now four cents.... *sighs* Okay, we round up to a nickle. Satisfied? :P[/COLOR]

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Okay, let's see if I got the system right...

RE: 1 - Hear, hear. The drawing board is like a friggen' ghost town...o.o You know Bell, I was actually almost done with my comments on your RP idea and one of the others, but then I was shooed away from the computer before I could post, and when I finally recalled the thread again I noticed that it had been a long time since anyone posted and figured that it was best to let dead threads lie. Anyway, I'm definitely for a new and more active drawing board. Oh, and as a suggestion which I just came up with...

9. How about rounding up a couple of regular or at least semi-regular reviewers/commentators/whatchacallits to look after the new Drawing Board? Quick and regular feedback would do wonders for improving the thread's popularity, methinks, and it always helps to have other people read through your RP plots, even if they only reassure you that it's fine, so RP quality would probably improve as a result. ^^

RE: 3 - Eh, see my post in Nagoyaka Aikouka's threads for my full thoughts on that. Suffice to say that I vote 'nay'. The whole definition of 'elite RPer' alone is too vague for me. -.- I mean, how do you measure that unless you've RPed extensively with everyone? Time spent RPing or posting length are certainly not reliable measures of skill.

RE: 4 - Could you please be a bit more specific about this 'equality'? Do you mean like everyone should be considered equally competent at RPing regardless of what our eyes and common sense tell us? If so then I'm definitely against this. True equality is a completely fictional concept, anyway, we're all putting our little labels on everyone else, whether we acknowledge that or not. I mean, just your snazzy, green username is going to make a number of people go "OMG! You must be good!". Not that I am saying that you aren't (Because you are), but people will form that opinion without any actual evidence to support it, because that's the way the human mind works, which, in turn, would probably lead to them appreciating your opinions over those of non-mods like me. That's inequality right there. My vote is on 'nay'.

RE: 5 - Nyah, he made a good point. When I first started RPing around here I thought for sure that the RP Lounge was only there for the Other Roleplay people, and it still feels that way even though I know that it's technically for both. Yes, I'm definitely for adding a sublink from the Pokémon Roleplay section too, as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's faced this misconception. Incidentally, what's wrong with gender bending? o.o

...right, you didn't see that last part.

RE: 6 - Nyah, that sounds very...MMORPGish. o.o I know it will appeal to some people, but I'm also pretty sure that the whole feeling of vastness is going to alienate others. It could probably work, but you'd probably need a couple of assistant plot people (Preferably from many different time zones) to ensure that newcomers will never be left hanging for long. Anyway, I don't feel ready to vote on this one yet so I'll abstain for now.

RE: 7 - Eh, looks like I was kind of echoing this point in my previous comment. For what it's worth, I vote 'yes' for this one.

RE: 8

A - I believe this one was already brought up in the other thread? *Wags index finger* It's not polite to take others' ideas without asking. That is called plagiarism, and is, in fact, frowned upon by this community. Nah, nevermind that last bit, that's just my sleeplessness getting to me. xD A 'yes' for banners and suchlike, I say. ^^

B - Yay for announcements. It's always a plus if you can get them, certainly. A question, though: are all announcements global (Appearing in every section) or can you restrict them to the relevant ones? It just seems kind of obnoxious to bother the people in places like 'Strategies and Movesets' or 'Japanese Entertainment' with stuff that doesn't really concern them. It might be a big thing for us RPing folks, but we aren't the only people around here. Just something to think about.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
8.B., Alter Ego- Yeash, I believe you can restrict the announcement to one thread only.

4.- Labels Labels Labels, it's how the human brain works!

Bell said:
Equality, which means, no roleplayers are singled out. Such as the Drawing Board idea. I would have to single out 4-5 roleplayers who agree to help people elaborate on their roleplays. David says we're trying for equality, but then, there was my view of it when I was a wee litt'al n00b, where I knew people were better at roleplaying then me, therefore, the equality was never there for me personally, so I wanted to know if you felt there was an equality, etc etc. (But as the human mind works, we've all got our little 'ranks', so I guess equality is kind of discarded.)

Basically, nobody is treated better then the other. That's the only definition I could give...

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
I haven't been on this site long but where my roleplay started was on a different forum. They had a roleplay tutor and academy. The had a normal section for normal roleplayers then the best of the best would go in a section locked to normal roleplayer called advanced roleplay.

I like the academy and the tutor idea, but the advanced roleplay is where you draw the line. That is when you have inequality problems and others treated as "High." What you do is you have the actual best or most respected rpers as tutors or teacher or w/e you want to call them. Then from those you start to have try-outs then those who prove they are good enough become teacher or tutors. I know I have like posted like three times but I am not new to roleplay and so that is my insights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back