• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Can't Stop Loving You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • 250px-Hoenn.png

Hoenn seems to have been kind of a love-it-or-hate it region. It's not for everyone, certainly, but I personally adore it. Hated it at first actually, but then I got Emerald and everything changed. I remember what I was doing when I went from grudgingly thinking 'okay, it's not godawful' to 'you know what, this is brilliant! I just want to play this forever!'- I was training up my first Mightyena just north of Mt. Pyre. And suddenly I realized I was really quite attached to her and the rest of my team. And the region. And everything.

So the questions I have here is definitely more for the lovers of RSE. Why and how did you fall in love with these games? Did you gradually come to like them or were you all over them from the start? Do you still adore them? Play them? Even so many years later? Do you like them more or less now than you first did? What are the bits that really stand out? What makes them special to you?

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I wouldn't say I adore RSE but I really dig Flygon. I never have a team without him. I used to not like RSE that much either because it wasn't as good as my Crystal when I had it. I'm not gonna lie I like SS more than any other Pokemon game. But now I play Emerald all the time I always like making new teams on that game. But Flygon is never ever and I mean never replaced.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2020
    I always liked playing Sapphire for the first time and discovering all the cool Pokemon and places to see, I just couldn't get over how much I loved this game back then, and I still do. I always had a Gardevoir on my team, no matter what I do. I will not play that game and not get a Gardevoir, it's impossible for me to do. I don't play that game as much as I used to, or as much as I should either, but the game will always have a spot in heart, right next to Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • I found emerald when i was younger in a rental car that someone left in there... If that didn't happen i would have never gotten into pokemon in the first place. I fell in love with pokemon emerald it was unlike anything i ever experienced in gaming. treecko forever ^_^

Munchlax11

Munch?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Feb 15, 2014
    [SIZE="a"]I remember being at the mall as a little kid and seeing Pokemon Ruby. I took it home and put it in my gameboy ASAP to play I was really excited to see all the new Pokemon I chose Mudkip as my starter and eventually got it to level 100. I've lost that game now, but I'm a big fan of hoenn. Although Ruby was my first Hoenn game Emerald is my favorite. Emerald probably has the best post-game out of all the other games. Actually I played my Emerald version just the other day! I still love these games just as much as I did when I got Ruby.[/SIZE]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Although Yellow was my first game, Sapphire was the first game I actually got past the first gym leader and got to go through the region, see all the Pokemon, etc. So if you want to get really technical, I guess you could call it my first main game. I think that's my reasons for loving it. I familiarized myself with Hoenn like other people familiarized themselves with Kanto and Johto and came to love it because it held all my firsts. That doesn't mean I'm a nostalgia butt face about it, of course, but I think that's where my love of the games and region comes from. I've replayed them countless times, and much more than any other Pokemon game, probably followed closely by FRLG (what was I thinking?) and GSC.

Since I played it so much as a kid, and so many times in general, the things that stand out, oddly enough, are just some dialog quirks. When I read things, I automatically picture what's being said and I give them a certain dialect without really having to try. So I have things in the games that I read a certain way or every time I read a line, I think of something weird (like the guy whose ear is burning off in Emerald...although that's gross when I think about it). And idk WHY but I especially remember the girl outside the Seashore Hut, specifically how I read what she said. I read a LOT of stuff wrong when I was a kid, so when I read her dialog, I read it where she sounded like she had no clue what she was talking about. Playing it at an older age, I realized she wasn't memorizing some weird script and wasn't messing up her phrase. Does this make sense? I think I'll go be weird somewhere else.

Oh. And weird things like "Hunh?" cause I read it as "hunnuh" instead of "huh." Okay BYE. fufufufufufufu.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I fell in love with Hoenn ever since I first turned on my Ruby when I was little. After already loving the previous games, how could I not love Hoenn's Pokémon and unique region. I still love Hoenn, and am in fact in a Pokémon contest in Sapphire as I type this! I love everything, underwater, Mt. Chimney, Sky Pillar, you name it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I really liked the Hoenn region because of the catchy, upbeat music in some places, particularly Slateport. Some of my favorite Pokemon are also from Hoenn (like Swampert, Salamence, Flygon, Gardevoir, Deoxys)

Years
  • Why and how did you fall in love with these games?
    I got Emerald and it was the first game I really fell in love with after the joy of Silver.

Did you gradually come to like them or were you all over them from the start?
    I loved it as soon as I started playing it - it was the first GBA game I got (I got Leaf Green after) so the changes were more obvious to me and there were so many new features that worked for me as well as maintaining the same old formula that works so well :)

Do you still adore them? Play them? Even so many years later?
    It's still probably my second favourite game after Silver and I still play it and all my older games from time to time :)

Do you like them more or less now than you first did?
    About the same - having played Diamond now the newer features are less new in Hoenn but nevertheless no less enjoyable :)

What are the bits that really stand out?
    Weather (like when it rains), competing in the contests, loving a grass starter for the first time, having two evil teams etc :)
    What makes them special to you?
    It was the first game I got to play as my own gender :) That was probably the most special thing for me :)

Years
  • When I first started Sapphire I fell in love immediately. The graphics were such an upgrade from gen two, and I was actually old enough to understand the game and the different aspects. Plus the Running Shoes. <3333

Then I met Sableye. Oh hello no weaknesses. Despite Sableye sucking majorly, I still loved it and made sure to train one on every run.

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
    Years
  • At first I didn't care for it too much, when my cousin would play Sapphire, he'd want me to play Ruby but then i'd say "Nah I don't want to, i'd rather play Blue version." xD Then he'd say "But that game is old!" But as I played it years later, I fell in love with it. :3 Personally it's my favorite Generation, probably because of the Pokemon, and the secret bases was the coolest feature that has been in a Pokemon game. Plus Ruby was the first game I caught all the Pokemon in, and I had a very strong team. ^_^

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
  • A long time ago, I lost my love for Pokemon. Countless nuzlockes on Pearl that ended up horrible:
    (one run where the first pokemon I met on every route was a Starly or a Staraptor...*shudders*
    -a different run where I overestimated myself and everyone died :'(
    -ANOTHER run where my friend deleted my save file and overwrote it with his own DX)
    With my love for Pokemon rapidly fading, the unwillingness to go through Pokemon Red again(NOTHING WILL REPLACE MY RED TEAM. NO MORE RED PLAYTHROUGHS. My team is and forever will be my only run of red <3)...I turned to Ruby. A while ago, I got a bootlegged copy of it. The save kept deleting, but it was the only game where despite how faulty the save, I'd always start a new game and keep going before I lost it. So I bought a non-bootleg copy...and fell in love with it.

Suddenly, I was once more a pokemon trainer. Ruby was special as it was the only game that I could replay over and over again without it getting old! It was the game where I accidently discovered my first shiny(despite a dry internal battery.) It was the game where my brother and I had a contest to see whose secret base could look more awesome! It was the game where every pokemon on my team had at least one contest ribbon, as contests and gyms rivalled each other for which could win my heart first.

To this day, I enjoy Ruby madly and wish that it would get remade so I could once more relive the adventure without having to buy another copy. Ruby is and always will be my favorite pokemon game...(unless B/W2 would like to challenge that)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I remember really liking Hoenn as a region when playing through Sapphire for the first time. And yet thinking back on it, I can't really remember anything specific about it, other than there was a hell of a lot of water (which is A-OK in my book). I don't know whether it's just because it has been so long since I've explored the region (as opposed to Kanto/Johto in HGSS, Unova in BW, and even Sinnoh in my recent Platinum playthrough) or because it's simply unmemorable. The only areas I can remember clearly are the Weather Institute, Sootopolis City and the route where you capture Skarmory. Other than that, the entirety of Hoenn is kind of a big blank. Which is something I can't really say for the other regions, unfortunately. Indeed, I can pretty much remember everything in Kanto, the amount of times I've played through it!

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    My affinity for Hoenn is practically genetic - I played both Crystal and Yellow before I got Emerald. It had a nice change in graphics, just as any other generation, and the Pokemon were great here as well. I, unlike many other fans, loved the water here. I love the ocean and swimming, so surfing around all the time, meeting Tentacool and Wingull (a nice change of pace from those squid), was almost fun. There were a lot of Water-types to fish up, and I spent a lot of time fishing in various spots to catch specific Pokemon. The legendaries had quite a new way of catching them. Sky Pillar had those crackling floors, which were still fun, but annoying as well. Even so, catching Rayquaza was worth the time and effort of getting up there. The Regis were practically an adventure on their own. There were many obstacles and puzzles to solve to begin to unlock the Regis, and then catching them was another ordeal. Running around the region, searching for the caves was also fun. I had a blast trying to catch them. It was more than just simply running up to a legendary Pokemon and catching them.

There were a lot of diverse areas for Hoenn, like a volcano, a desert, and a town on the sea. I'd call them memorable. The weather was cool. Rain made some routes feel tropical, while the sandstorm made the desert even dryer. There's a reason why the title trio is dubbed the Weather Trio. The Pokemon were fantastic overall. There aren't many Pokemon that I disliked in Hoenn. I could catch just about any Pokemon and use them on my team, whether it was as an HM Slave or a battler, or even for contests.

Yeah, I'll stop gushing over Hoenn. In short, Hoenn is an awesome region and my favorite.

Malaa

Years
  • I started out with Pokémon Blue, but i didn't understand what to do. Then I got Fire Red, and I came out in the game until i didn't understand more. Then, I got Sapphire and I understood it all.

That's probably why I love RSE so much. I'm currently trying to fill my Pokédex in Sapphire. (Without hacking)

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Hoenn is by far my favorite region. Probably because everything was all new to me when I first played it, I've only seen a handfull of the new pokes. My English also improved a lot, so I enjoyed it a lot more then GS. The graphics were also completely different, it was like a set foot into a new world.

I loved it ever since I started playing it, and I still play it on a regular basis. Generation 3 had the best games of the series, and I will keep playing these games for a loooong time.

Polizard'12

Pokemon Trader
    Years
  • From the moment I began playing it, I enjoyed it immensly! The graphics were a huge change from what I was used to (Yellow & Gold)... Also all the Pokemon were great especially the Legendaries, the cutscene with the weather trio made my Jaw drop haha, they really should implement more of those in the games and not just once.

Years
  • Hoenn is by far my favourite region. My first game was Pokemon Red and I completed it, and every Pokemon Game since. Hoenn though, was my favourite. I remember picking Treecko as my starter, and taking it all the way to the Pokemon league. I had so much fun with my team, getting beaten time and time again by Norman, and Liza and Tate. So many good memories in Hoenn.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I loved the games from the start. Sure, Emerald was a little different then it's predecessors, but I was always open to change. And I felt it was a change for the better. I still have my Emerald, in fact, and I wish I could play it, but can't since I don't own a DS or Game Boy. Unlike my White, I didn't give it away. Maybe that shows something?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    I really disliked Hoenn the first time around. Mainly because of all that water. But over time I grew to love the region because of most of the Pokemon that came along with the 3rd gen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back