• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Instrument Changing

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
  • Introduction
    I'm pretty sure someone else may have done this successfully, and that is changing the sound that an Instrument in a VoiceGroup makes. This is made possible by changing the pointers for the sounds through a hex editor. I've covered this in my tutorial on how to re-point cries. I've gotten the sound to change for some instruments, but there are many which I've had no luck with.

How I've Done It.
    Quick Demo.

Well here's a brief explanation. By encoding a sound with PokeCryGui to an offset we can use the sound as an instrument for music by changing the pointers in a VoiceGroup.

These would be the pointers used for a Trumpet in a VoiceGroup
    40 00 00 00 [S-HIGHLIGHT]5C A5 48 08 E4 30 4A 08[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Note: This could be flawed!
    What I do is use this string to point to the sound I encoded with PokeCryGui, which is the same string used for cries.

20 3C 00 00 XX XX XX 08 FF 00 FF 00Where XX XX XX is the pointer in reverse hex.

This works for some instruments, but for some instruments this won't work. Some being the Timpani and the Strings. I haven't tried it out with Drums, but I am sure the above formula won't work because it uses multiple samples.

Goals
    So what I need to find out are these things.

1. A way to use it on instruments that use multiple samples.
    2. Figure out what the default Key (on a Piano that is) the encoded instrument uses.
    3. Make an instrument loop (like strings)
    4. Fix issues with how the sound comes out. Some samples come out distorted, it could be the string I use for replaced instruments.

Esmas

General
    Years
  • This is interesting...I think this would be a great way to make a ROM hack seem "new," and an easy way to remix something, instead of inserting an entire new song.

Back