• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Everyone's a Psychologist... or so they think...

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Scenario time: if one of your friends is down in the dumps/depressed about something, are you the kind of person that'll do whatever it takes to cheer them up or look on the brighter side of things? Or would you rather not get involved in their problems?

Again, another straightforward thread from me.

Last edited:

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I would put myself in her place, and cheer him/her up. Although the times I've done that can be counted and most of the times I can't help them 'cause they're all far away.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I usually try my best to cheer them up. Doesn't seem fair to just ignore them.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I would try to cheer them up, if possible. I'd end up making an idiot of myself doing so.

My best friend was really down when her grandmother was being hospitalized and they thought she was dying. After a while, I stopped trying to directly make her happy and just talked her through it. So apparently that works, in some situations.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'll try to cheer them up if I can, of course.

My preferred method is through distracting them with something fun because that's how I myself deal with moods like that. It's probably not the healthiest way, but I'm obviously not very good at dealing with my own emotions so I rarely have any idea how to approach others in that regard. I'm always willing to lend an ear if someone just wants to vent about their problems which is usually enough. Otherwise I can also attempt to give lame advice or actually talk about things with less venting and more heart-to-heart but I don't feel like that would go down well so I always hope it won't come to that since I never really know what to say.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Psh, i'm great at cheering people up.
    I've even gone so far as to put myself where they are/in their situation to be able to understand it better.
    The funny thing about problems, issues, and bad scenarios though, is that if you realise how pathetically short life is then you won't be bothered by them.

Life is short.
    And i've honestly learned the hard way that you shouldn't squander it away in worry, regret, and self-pity. As such, I will allow none of my friends to.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • IRL? If I notice something is wrong, I ask them what they'd prefer. If they don't want me in their business, it's better to ask than just assume they want to involve me. If they do, then as a friend I try whatever I can to help them and whatever is best for them in that situation.
    Online? If they mention it to me, I;m assuming they want to talk about it because why bring it up in the first place then?

Sirfetch’d

I always try to find a way to cheer my friends up if possible. If I can tell it is really personal I won't push too hard, but I always let them know that I am there for them.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Well, something like this happened recently, and while all I wanted to do was to cheer them up, I just couldn't think of the right thing to say. I certainly did feel bad for quite a while afterwards. And that's my problem in these kind of situations. Unless I know the person well enough to know exactly what to say, I'm just gonna be fumbling around with whatever possible thing I could say to cheer them up in my head, and always end up with the conclusion that I'm gonna end up sounding like a dork.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I ask them but since I can't imagine myself in their shoes because I don't have good understanding of others' emotions...
    You can probably call me cold-hearted but I don't really know what to say so I just let them explain it and I just listen without doing anything.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If it's something serious then I'm good at 'rationalising it away'; generally I'd rather leave well enough alone, as I would want to be, myself.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I try to do whatever I can, but the problem is I'm really bad at it so often I either make it worse or just make no difference whatsoever which makes me feel really bad :P

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I would help the person in whatever way I can, provided if the person approached me. If I knew the thing and the person didn't approach me, I would pretend it didn't happened cos there would always be a reason why he/she didn't approach me.

Back