• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leader Challenge

Years
  • Basically like the R\B\Y one, but for G\S\C!

All you have to do is choose one of the 16 gym leaders in G/S/C, and then go through the game using only the Pokemon listed under your chosen leader in the spoiler below. (Pokemon lists compiled from R\B\Y, G\S\C, Stadium, Stadium 2, and the anime)

Spoiler:

And the rules:

1. You may only use Pokemon used by your chosen gym leader.
    2. This is not a race so take your time!
    3. The first Pokemon of your type must be caught before defeating Whitney.
    4. No glitches whatsoever.
    5. No legendary Pokemon!
    6. No trading unless it is to evolve a Pokemon or to get otherwise unobtainable Pokemon (i.e. the Kanto starters, fossil Pokemon, and version exclusives).
    7. HM slaves are allowed (2 maximum), but you CANNOT use them in battles!
    8. No Gamesharking.
    9. You may choose a gym leader even if someone else has started a challenge with him\her.
    10. Emulators are acceptable, and you may use the spacebar for speeding up grinding
    11. Please update posts once every few gyms... Or every gym if you feel so inclined ^_^
    12. Your challenge ends after defeating Red.
    13. Please specify which version (Gold, Silver, or Crystal) you are using for your challenge.
    14. HAVE FUN!

And without further ado, let the challenge begin! I will participate, using Blue's Pokemon.

Current Participants

Brock: Andrew1989
    Misty: Hyashi_san
    Lt. Surge:
    Erika:
    Janine: Zeffy
    Sabrina: myrrhman, HaloSonic
    Blaine: Melvern
    Blue:
    Falkner: JustinHolmes
    Bugsy: Hallylicious, johnathondrag
    Whitney: syphilis
    Morty: Blues003
    Chuck: overlord tyranitar
    Jasmine: Espeon Master
    Pryce:
    Clair: Seal, Jacob77, Maci12

Hall of Fame (Completed Challenges)

Brock:
    Misty:
    Lt. Surge: WKnite
    Erika:
    Janine:
    Sabrina:
    Blaine:
    Blue: Luigi-San
    Falkner:
    Bugsy:
    Whitney:
    Morty:
    Chuck:
    Jasmine:
    Pryce:
    Clair:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I'll do it with Sabrina. I'll do whichever one you can catch Sandshrew in (i think that's gold, am i right?). However, I am really busy at the moment, so it might take a while for me to start. But when I do, chances are I'll finish shortly thereafter, because I like using the speed button.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    I've never done this before, but sounds fun. I'll be misty. Crystal version in emulator

Pokemon I plan to use in the beginning:
    Tododile (starter)
    Jigglypuff
    ----After Violet Gym---
    Wooper
    Poliwag
    Slowpoke

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'll do it with Sabrina. I'll do whichever one you can catch Sandshrew in (i think that's gold, am i right?). However, I am really busy at the moment, so it might take a while for me to start. But when I do, chances are I'll finish shortly thereafter, because I like using the speed button.

Yes, Sandshrew's in Gold.

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i'll try this using whitney's pokemon in crystal.

and so i started.

-named myself whitney.
    -named my rival whitney (obviously...right?).
    -did the dumb beginning stuff and caught a phanpy named carlos.
    -beat up on some birds and some bugs to get to goldenrod.
    -caught a female nidoran named harlequeen.
    -did some grinding until i realized harlequeen would learn body slam at lvl 23 if i evolved her, so i stopped grinding.
    -got beat by whitney :(
    -grinded some more and then an evolved carlos murdered her.

Team:

carlos lvl 25
    gbc232.gif

-Flail
    -Take Down
    -Defense Curl
    -Mud-Slap

harlequeen lvl 23
    gbc030.gif

-Double Kick
    -Tackle
    -Scratch
    -Growl

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • A's Sabrina Challenge Pt 1/3

And here we go.

Guess we're starting with Cyndiquil, because Sabrina had one. Named it "Inferno"
    Went to Mr. Pokemon's house and got the egg and pokedex
    Beat rival
    Returned to Elm and got Pokeballs
    Headed to violet city, and beat Pokemon trainers on the way.
    Beat Sprout Tower, where Inferno evolved on the last trainer.
    Beat Falkner
    Fought trainers and made it to Azalea
    Kurt and I beat Team Rocket. I got a Lure Ball for my efforts
    Went back and caught a Slowpoke, named it "Zen"
    Beat Bugsy
    Beat Rival
    Saved the Farfetch'd, got Cut, Taught it to Inferno, and went back to get charcoal, which inferno is now holding.
    Got to Goldenrod, got a coin case and 200 coins, bought Abra ("Yin"), bought 3 elemental Punches, taught them to Abra
    Beat a few trainers, and Yin evolved into a Kadabra
    Beat Whitney
    Beat Sudowoodo
    Got Magnet, which Yin is now holding
    Beat Morty
    Saved and called it a day

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i haven't really done too much, just beat morty.

caught some more team members though :D

Team:

the meat lvl 31
    gbc241.gif

-Stomp
    -Rollout
    -Defense Curl
    -Milk Drink

thomas lvl 30
    gbc035.gif

-Dizzy Punch
    -Pound
    -Sweet Kiss
    -Sing

harlequeen lvl 29
    gbc031.gif

-Double Kick
    -Body Slam
    -Scratch
    -Growl

dux lvl 32
    gbc054.gif

-Surf
    -Scratch
    -Screech
    -Confusion

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I'll be doing Morty, on Crystal version :P

EDIT:

Okay so here goes my progress so far (speed toogle = win):

Started the game, named myself Morty and my rival Belmont. Chose Totodile as a starter, who became my Cut and Surf slave.
    Caught an Hoothoot (Evrae).
    Progressed all the way till Bellsprout tower, where I got Ectoplasm, my Ghastly.
    Proceeded to defeat every trainer with either Tackle from Evrae or Lick from Ectoplasm.
    Made Falkner easy by Hypnosis-ing him with Ectoplasm and then attacking with Evrae's Tackle.
    Went all the way till Azalea.
    Swept the Slowpoke Well with Ectoplasm's Lick.
    Swept the Bug gym with Evrae's Peck.
    Progressed till Goldenrod. Got Cubone (Wishbone), Snubbul (Pedigree) and Exeggcute (Eggcelence) there.
    Leveled up everyone till level 20.
    Handed Whitney easily (Leech Seed + Confusion + Hypnosis >>>>>> her Miltank).
    Did everything in Ecruteak, including beating Morty, starring my newly-evolved Ectoplasm.
    Went to get myself a Lapras.
    Saved.

gbc164.gif

Evrae, level 20
    Peck, Tackle, Mud-Slap, Hypnosis
    Albeit its bad moves, it still handles situations pretty good. He's a joy to have on my team, and a definte life-saver when needed.

gbc104.gif

Wishbone, level 21
    Dig, Headbutt, Bone Club, Leer
    So far, the most disappointing member of my team. Slow and frail, he barely gets any chance to do some real sweeping.

gbc210.gif

Pedigree, level 25
    Headbutt, Shadow Ball, Bite, Charm
    I was thinking of getting Sudowoodo first, but this thing is just beastly. Shadow Ball deals with Ghosts, and it's much more effective on him than on Ectoplasm, as it runs from its physical attack stat. It tears teams appart, and apparently likes doing so.

gbc093.gif

Ectoplasm, level 25
    Lick, Night Shade, Curse, Hypnosis
    Not too bad considering its attacks aren't that good. I'm looking foward for some special move I can teach him (Psychic?). Also, I'm considering evolving him, though I still do not know how.

gbc131.gif

Ferry, level 21
    Surf, Body Slam, Mist, Sing
    Still do not have a strong opinion about it, as I just got it. I'm sure it'll be a useful member of my team though.

gbc102.gif

Eggcelence, level 22
    Confusion, Leech Seed, Hypnosis, Reflect
    A great wall. Confusion is powerful enough for now, and Leech Seed + Hypnosis + Reflect beats so much stuff it's insane. Love having him around.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Progress:
    Started
    Named self Volten
    Started with TOTODILE
    Grinded it to ten to be safe.
    Talk to old man to get TOWN MAP
    Got Mystery Egg & pokedex
    Destroyed RIVAL
    Delivered Egg to Elm, named Rival Regal
    Collected various berries
    Accientally let mom save my money. didnt really care.
    Registered Wade's #
    Went hunting for a bellsprout after beating the firs group of trainers.
    Caught a level 5 Bellsprout that retained 1 HP after a scratch atk, forgot to nickname it >_<
    Caught a 2nd Bellsprout and named her Razor
    Ditched the first Bellsprout into a box
    Switch-Trained bellsprout till it learned Wrap
    Went to dare cave to pwn some geodudes/zubats/dunsparces
    Went to ruins of alph. solving the Kabuto puzzle and killed Unowns
    At lv 18 beat Falkner's Gym Trainers
    Healed
    Went to sprout tower for more training
    Got Flash, my Bellsprout now at level 19. My goal 4 levels aways.
    I headed back to the strange ruins with letter shaped pokemon.
    My Bellsprout evolved into weepinbell. I was paying attention I wanted to stop it, but alas, I have learned from my mistake. I decided to try to take down Falkner now.
    I healed.
    GYM BATTLE 1:
    VS FALKNER
    2 Vinewhips KOed his Pidgey. What a pathetic pokemon.
    Then he sent out a level 9 Pidgeotto. I started with poison powder, then 2 vine whips took it out. I was shocked that I did all that training for such a pathetic battle.
    When I left the gym Proffessor Elm called me, telling me to meet his assisstant at the PKMN Center
    So I healed my pokemon a bit and got an Egg.
    I headed south, I heard I could catch a wooper there but, alas, I think the time of day was wrong.This Weepinbell is quite annoying. 10 Vinewhips, 20 Wraps and I have to heal. How the bloody hell will I ever get through the cave at the end of this path.
    I battled some trainers, and registered LIZ's number
    Some idiot tried to sell me a slowpoke tail for a million pokeyen. I told him to go fly a kite and if I wanted a slowpoke tail id catch a slowpoke and cut it off myself.
    I healed and realized along the way I had found 2 Great Balls. WOOPER IM COMIN FOR YA!
    Anyways, I battled some fools on a fishing bridge. When I was done my mother called me and told me she bought me a rare item, I checked my PC. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHE WASTED MONEY ON A SUPERPOTION. BAD MOM! RESPECT MY AUTHORATAR!
    When I was training I gave up on finding a Wooper, deciding to head back here at night, I headed through the cave.

Anyways
    I found a few items in the cave, nothing to noteworthy, aside from a 3rd greatball and a tm39.
    I healed when I got into town. I headed into the forest for some training. I talked to some old guy named Kurt. Blah blah blah slowpoke well blah blah blah. Then he stormed out.I decided to head back to the cave to train but I saw that there was a big empty hole in the ground... Hmmm. I jumped down. Oh da- I hate Kurt. Blah blah blah Fell in Blah blah cowards blah blah. I shrugged Kurt off and explored the cave and this fool attacks me with a Rattata. Needless to say my Weepinbell took it out with 1 hit. The guy sends out another to the same fate. He begs for forgiveness, so I punched him in the face and took his money :)
    Then some lady tried to attack me but met the same fate. There were too more people and they both met the same fate. There money is mine. I found a -shudder- super potion in there. So suddenly I was teleported into Kurt's house. Apparently those people who attacked me, and provoked me into robbing them were part of a crime syndicate called team rocket. Apparently im a town hero. Kurt gave me a weird pokeball that I probbably wont use.I left and healed, then went into the gym. God theres alot of trainers here. Inside the gym, a couple steps after beating some annoying little girls, the egg hatched into... a strange egg-shaped pokemon. Anyways, I defeated all the gym trainers and battled Bugsy. When it was all said and done, the entire time I was in the gym my Weepinbell took 9 points of damage. After Bugsy gave me a tm and a badge I decide to go outside for a ciga- to call Elm. He begged me to hurry to his lab so I healed and started walking back towards the cave, the whole time thinking... This is gonna suck.

Team:
    Razor
    Level 27 Weepinbell
    Acid/Vinewhip/Wrap/Stunspore

Togepi(not for long)
    Totodile(HM Slave)

Jacob77

Are you reading this?
    Years
  • Sign me up :) !
    Clair / Gold / Emulator.

However it sucks tho you can't win a Dratini at the gameslots in crystal :( *Sniff*

Last edited:

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    oh, hey, i beat the pokemon league and forgot to update and stuff.

didn't buy any healing items, just used what i had. it was pretty easy :\

this is my team:

thomas lvl 47
    gbc036.gif

-Ice Punch
    -Thunder Punch
    -Dizzy Punch
    -Fire Punch

dux lvl 46 @ Nevermeltice
    gbc055.gif

-Surf
    -Ice Punch
    -Fury Swipes
    -Confusion

harlequeen lvl 46
    gbc031.gif

-Icy Wind
    -Body Slam
    -Double Kick
    -Earthquake

radish lvl 45
    gbc182.gif

-Petal Dance
    -Moonlight
    -Acid
    -Sleep Powder

the meat lvl 43 @ Pink Bow
    gbc241.gif

-Body Slam
    -Milk Drink
    -Defense Curl
    -Shadow Ball

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    Sorry that I haven't started this yet, Soul Silver came out late in Britain so I've been sidetracked by that.

Back