• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sooo.... is Mewtwo evil or not? (anime, games and unrelated games spoilers.)

..:i n n e r_宇 宙:..

This is called 'YOU SUCK'
Years
  • He seems to be an 'anti-hero' as everyone suggests. Something like Sabata from Boktai: The Sun is Yours, and the series that goes on with that. He also only wanted to fight people and all that in the Jap. version of the Movie.

The English are very strange: They add something that wasn't meant to be there in the first place.

So, hope I made myself clear.

From,
    ~TheRoad

Years
  • I usually avoid taking this road given the mixed behavior of Mewtwo (including my own for personal reasons). I'll use the Japanese animated since it was the anime that first imbued Myuutsu with a personality.

Anti-hero is the main convention and with Myuutsu's later reactions, I'll concede that, but I want to focus on his origin here. Don't forget, he had trust in humans originally (Birth of Myuutsu short/CD Drama) with Ai-Two, but he couldn't grapple with the concept of death as she "disappeared". Plus the seditives, which the scientists said it would cause brain damage. Then, as he laid dormant, far as we know, they never repaired the brain damage.

Of course, the easist solution is giving Tsu a lobotomy as we see in other clone media to control. However, we can't here as we're in a kids' show, despite the envelope being pushed as is. Now the point: remember Tsu's initial reaction when he discovered man created him instead of God -- he rampaged and actively killed the scientists. That is the one scene I carried from that movie, because of the perfunctory carnage (really rare for a kids' cartoon on both shores) and Two, from what is translated and stated, chose to attack the scientists.

Granted, we could blame the brain damage for his overreaction and we should, but the fact the anime never again refers to his reaction to the seditives or Ai-Two could be a tell that we shouldn't, either. It's possible we should simply rationalize him, just as he rationalized his reason for murdering the scientists: the ends justifying the means. Just as he justified the destruction, he justified briefly allying himself with Sakaki, and then justifed removing humanity despite the fact he had a good start with Ai-two.

Then, we really get into nature vs. nurture and that's another topic for another day.

Of course, then, we're treated with his monologues and the opportunity to see where he is coming from (which I'm negative on and I won't go there at the moment) and try to appreciate him like all anti-heroes despite their prior bad acts a la comic books -- Venom, Sabretooth, Mystique, just to name a few.

While Special's take is similiar, but they went a different route substituting Katsuya for Sakaki for the human connection and thus a deeper meaning to the creator/creation relationship. Granted, their Myuutsu didn't have the impact/personality than his anime version did, however, he wasn't as trumped up and had a subtle way to get the message across -- such as a brief glimpse of the canon lab destruction, the detachment to the Rocket-Dan organization, and his obeying Katsuya despite his own issues.

And quite a lot of depth for a game sprite, I know. Collapses.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    He's not really good, or evil. He just kind of does whatever he wants. Going by DnD standards, I would call him "Chaotic Neutral." XD

MewTwo from Pokemon is like Laharl from Disgaea. They both have evil tendencies putting them on the 'Chaotic-Neutral' alignment. However, they also have kind sides to them. Both of them have something they care about, and thus they aren't completely evil.

But if you really want to put D&D references into the equation, MewTwo is Drizzt.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Nope, I don't think Mewtwo is evil...He's nice enough in his sequal movie.
    In the games, he's just some wild Pokemon, so I don't think he's evil in those either...

mew2_v1

The Unknown
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 14, 2010
    Mewtwo is evil because he believes that trainers use pokemon as slaves so he clone pokemon and battle against the trainers for revenge.

as it comes in the Mewtwo Returns, he was nice to the trainers at the end to keep him to his memory.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    In the english version he is supposed to seem more evil than in the japanese version of the movie. I've heard that they censored much in the english version and changed Mewtwo's personality a little. Is it true?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    I think he was originally evil because he got bad terms with humans. So he thought all humans are evil and all pokemon that is loyal to them are to be 'saved from them but that is until he killed Ash. It looks like after that incident, he finally thinks that not all humans are evil. That's why he's nice in Mewtwo Returns

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
  • As you well know Mewtwo is a clone of Mew. It was therefore artificially created with genetic data put within its proccessing system. The information that Giovanni and his scientists put into its head was of evil motives so that they could use Mewtwo to control the world. However Mewtwo is not evil deep down as shown in the second movie of pokemon 'Mewtwo strikes back'.

~Kipper~

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    I don't really think that it's evil, just...misguided?

pkmn foreva

Anime fan
    Years
  • as his first trainer was pure evil his influence on mewtwo is crucial. Gionvanni was the leader of team rocket and therefore evil so he treated mewtwo bad therefore putting the idea that humans were bad into mewtwos head.

thats why he wanted to take out all the humans in the pokemon world. but fortuantly ash showed him how good a trainer can be to his pokemon so he erased all memory of what had happenend and left to make a new beginning with the rest of the clones on top of the mountain in Mewtwo Strikes Back.

so therefore he is not evil just mislead...

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • No, I don't think he's evil. If you're considering the first movie, I'd tell you he was just confused, and got off with the wrong group of humans. But all-in-all, he's not evil, or good, he's just... a pokemon xD

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I agree with Prince Gryph, Mewtwo is just a confused creature who doesn't feel like he belongs. He may be depicted as evil, but I think he's just neutral. :\ He may trun good in the inside, but who knows...

Back