• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips for a beginner?

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
I am about to start playing with the cards for the first time since 2003, and I dont have any cards. Any advice as to what starter sets to get?

Years
Well, for a rules refresher, the Trainer Kit is not all that bad. And it comes with a couple of pretty good Pokemon from the HGSS sets in Raichu and Gyarados.

Other than that, just go with the one that has the Pokemon you like. (b'-')b

None of the theme decks are made ready to go for tournaments by any means. Tournament decks run so much faster.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
Alright, thanks. Another quick question, how many energies should one deck have? I would like to try to build my own deck as I go along.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
Amount of energy depends entirely on what deck you are running. Gyarados, a meta-deck right now, needs no energy to attack and only runs 'tech' energy like rescue and warp, while a less popular meta-deck called mewperior can have more than half the deck as energy. Generally, you want approximately half of your deck to be trainers and supporters, then just experiment with the number of pokemon vs. energy. Play a few matches (even if it's solitaire, it doesn't matter), and if you always draw too much energy then lower the count, and vice versa for pokemon.

Chlobo-Jester

TCG Collector
Years
I feel the same way, I really want to get back into the game but I'm personally waiting until Black and White come along.

I'm not sure how rotation works but I can't seem the point in all the deck building when a new generation is just around the corner.

Years
I'm not sure how rotation works but I can't seem the point in all the deck building when a new generation is just around the corner.

Well, deck-building now gives you experience for the future. That and rotation is usually only done four sets at a time, and there are six sets still legal from Diamond&Pearl and Platinum in addition to the 4 HGSS sets and Call of Legends, so if you do the math, they probably aren't going to be rotating the HGSS sets, which don't really have too many cards relevant in the metagame right now, but are still worth a look. Then there's also the collection element of being able to say you have certain cards even if they're being rotated out of tournament play.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
No, there has never been a totally clean slate rotation in pokemon, some sets that are legal now will be rotated while the ones released more recently will remain in format. They want sets to be in rotation for at least a year, sometimes up to two years. There wouldn't be any point to organized play if they scrapped a set they just released that year because the next set was coming out, if that were the case there would be sets released that never even saw tournament play at worlds etc.

Back