• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "Rival TOOL is challenging you to a battle!"

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
What did you name your rival in HeartGold/SoulSilver? Did you stick with the default Silver, did you give him some other name, or did you name him some sort of disparagement. I did the latter and called him TOOL. It was appropriate at the time, but I felt bad about naming him that after he started to become a nicer person toward the end of the game D:

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I tend to always name my rivals Justin. That was my friend's actual name who was my Pokemon rival when I was younger, so it seems appropriate.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've named him Silver, because, well, isn't that his actual name? XD If I were to give him some other name, I'd probably go with something short, such as Chris, Kev, Lan, etc.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
The first time I played HGSS, since I was just borrowing the game for a few hours of playing, I named him ???. I dunno, seemed appropriate then. Now I just call him Silver because continuity and manga. :3

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
if i remember correctly the first time i played i named him Lucas, who was a good friend of mine at the time.

now i just name him red, which can get confusing once you get to kanto

Years
I think I named my rival Red before. It was because of the red colored hair. That's the first word that came to my mind. I kind of regret it though, because there was the real Red on Mt. Silver, so yeah. xD

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
Years
Tool is also the name of a really awesome band, so you shouldn´t feel bad for naming him that ;D Well, whenever I get the chance to name my rival, I usually go for something foul...so better not mention it here! XD

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Currently doing the event challenge on SoulSilver over at the challenges subforum, and I named him Gregg -- it's an Easter-themed challenge :P

Though the first time I played this game with my boyfriend, we went with IDIOT. We never finished that game, and never will anyway, so it was just a silly joke.

Years
After living through a rival named ??? in Gold (that's what he said his name was!), I just decided to give him his default name in HeartGold, much like I do with the majority of rivals post 2nd gen.

Years
In my main copy of Heart Gold, I named him Jack. Not very creative.

But in my Soul Silver Nuzlocke I did back in early 2013, I named him Ernest. I don't think of silly names for him, so yeah. =/

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I always name my rivals like their Original names would be in the series/story. Concerning gold/silver/heartgold/soulsilver would the name be Kamon ;)

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I always just stick with the bog-standard 'Silver'; I'm not creative enough to come up with a decent name for him.

Years
I wasn't sure how to name in my current (and first) playtrough of SoulSilver, so I named him Paul, as Ash's rival from the DP series. Then I remembered I use to call him Jordy in Crystal after a friend of mine but, my friend is actually a nice person so that was kind of unfair :P

Tek

Years
I have taken to naming my rivals Kite. My chosen name is usually TK, flip the letters around and add vowels, and you get the rival's name. Adds a weird psychological dynamic. Specifically in the Johto games, I like to imagine the PC is also the rival, and he's just a schizophrenic.

Uh, is that weird? Whoops.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I decided to go with a throwback to the 2nd Generation games.

Anyone remember ??? I either named him that or the normal Silver. All outta creativity.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I named in ??? in Pokemon Gold because I literally thought his name was '???', haha. In HeartGold though, I called my rival Silver. :p

Back