• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of the Action Replay users?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I generally don't care how you play the game, as long as you're not trying to pass off your hacked Pokemon as being legit, or using them in battle with others. I think that's low. If you wanna hack your stuff, that's fine, just don't push that on others through trade or battle.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Like most people have said, I don't care what you do as long as the results of your actions don't effect someone else in a negative way. I usually use the All Items/All TMs code on games I've beaten multiple times so I can breeze through the game. It's especially useful when I finished SoulSilver, and found out you needed the Kyogre from HeartGold for Rayquaza. I don't mind things like that.

But when you start offering hacked pokemon in trades or cheating in battles online that's when I have a problem with it. That's why I usually keep a clone of the pokemon I'm offering just in case I get cheated.

TL;DR Offline it's cool, online you're a scumbag.

Like most people have said, I don't care what you do as long as the results of your actions don't effect someone else in a negative way. I usually use the All Items/All TMs code on games I've beaten multiple times so I can breeze through the game. It's especially useful when I finished SoulSilver, and found out you needed the Kyogre from HeartGold for Rayquaza. I don't mind things like that.

But when you start offering hacked pokemon in trades or cheating in battles online that's when I have a problem with it. That's why I usually keep a clone of the pokemon I'm offering just in case I get cheated.

TL;DR Offline it's cool, online you're a scumbag.

Last edited:

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
Joining the bandwagon of responses here. If it doesn't effect others in a negative fashion, there is no problem with it.

Heck, I used Action Replay with my older games, once I exhausted every possible use for it. Mostly it was just for fun, and I would never dare to take that to Nintendo Wifi.

Joining the bandwagon of responses here. If it doesn't effect others in a negative fashion, there is no problem with it.

Heck, I used Action Replay with my older games, once I exhausted every possible use for it. Mostly it was just for fun, and I would never dare to take that to Nintendo Wifi.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
As long as they aren't doing anything with their Action Replay that would affect another person's gameplay, then sure do whatever the hell you like with it. You can hack in your Pokemon, make them immediately Level 100 and even throw in a few Master Balls here and then for all I care. If it improves your overall experience of the game and you yourself have no issues with it, then I'll be okay with you using an Action Replay. Generally I frown upon cheats such as unlimited Rare Candies but I can't exactly change what another person wants to do with their game. The only time I'll be annoyed at a person who is using an AR is if they trade hacked Pokemon / use them in competitive play or do anything that gives them an unfair advantage in tournaments/competitions, because that's just not cool. :(

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
I use it cause it just takes WAAAAY too much time to build my competitive team without it. I mean who has the time to breed for moves and IVs or natures and etc., you have to be super dedicated for all that lmao. And I really don't care if people have Pokemon that are legit or not, as long as their Pokemon is using legit moves(not Caterpie with Spacial Rend) and as long as their stats are legit I wouldn't really care about anything else, so what if someone caught a Shaymin in Route 1? It'll still have the same stats as any other Shaymin, give or take a few depending on IVs and nature. I mean hey it saves a bunch of time so why not use it, lol. As far as gameplay goes, I never use it on my first playthrough of any Pokemon game. But once I've beat the Elite 4 and captured some Legendaries I'll use codes like "100% Capture Rate" and sometimes "Shiny Wild Pokemon" if I'm looking for a Pokemon that has a shiny form I like. That's pretty much it.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I pity them for their ignorance and impatience. They are simply getting a negative perspective of the game by not playing it properly.

A game it thought to be extremely hard, unless you've legitimately played it.

I neither encourage nor discourage such actions, as I have used them personally a few times.

I try not to dwell on it too much, lest I may start using them too.

Years
Who cares if they're "cheating"? It's just a game, owner of the game has the right to do anything he or she wants to with the game, whether it's playing legitimately, playing with action replay, smashing it with a hammer, or eating it for all I care.

Last edited:
Years
My first reaction to this was "people who use AR are pretty much just cheating the game". Then I read other's posts and realised I agree... as long as said people aren't cheating this Pokemon to use competitively or anything, it's fine. Not everyone will have the time to train Pokemon, and I can totally understand that.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I divide AR users, or rather hackers in general into three distinct categories.

1: Those who cheat to get the perfect Pokemon, items, etc and then pass themselves on as "legit" Trainers online.

2: "Offline hackers," who either cheated to speed through the story or to obtain items, complete their Pokedex, etc without intending to play with hacked things online. This may even be justified, such as obtaining event only Pokemon from a past event or of one they couldn't attend.

3: Those who hack to create funny and / or more challenging experiences. Perhaps a code to increase the levels of all NPCs' Pokemon by 20 to make the game harder.

I'm mostly against those in the first group, as they accomplish what could take legit players months of careful training and breeding. The other two I have no issues with. I have a friend with an AR and thanks to him I am the proud owner of a Magikarp with 999 in all stats and Hyper Beam. I don't use it however, I just keep it for laughs.

Last edited:

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
If the person is using the Action Replay to get Lvl. 100 shiny Pokemon with all special ribbons and every great TM imaginable, then I don't really have much sympathy for them. But if they're using it for a special challenge, then I'm a bit more lenient.

Sirfetch’d

I don't mind if people use them. It is their decision and I personally don't see an issue as long as you aren't trying to claim hacked Pokemon as legit. I only use one if doing a challenge that requires hacking in Pokemon, but I only do that with an emulator. I'd never use one on my games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I have no problem with anyone who uses them. As long as they're not trying to trade their hacked Pokémon with me, I'm fine. xD As I kid, I used to play around with Action Replay a lot. Now, I don't use these kind of things at all. They just take the fun out of the game. In my opinion, you'll end up feeling very proud of yourself if you can successfully raise a Pokémon the way you want to without the use of any cheat codes.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I use an Action Replay -- I've been playing Pokemon with a "cheating" device since R/B/Y.

There's a couple reasons I use it, and some restrictions I have for myself.

1) Events. I don't have time or the motivation to go to a Toys R' Us always, and I think it's really stupid for me to miss out on stuff just because I didn't get around to playing a certain game until years after.

2) Speed. As an older player (I'm 25 years old) I really just don't have a lot of time to play. I have a full-time job and lots of other commitments, and I like to have a social life too. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I train every single Pokemon I catch. So I usually use a 2x or 4x EXP code. Because otherwise, it would take me years to beat one game the way I like to play.

3) Convenience. I've never had many friends who were into Pokemon, so I've never had many friends to trade with. Sometimes, if my brother has had a different version, we've been able to trade, but otherwise, if something is version specific, I will hack in an egg or something like that.

4) Cloning. I worked hard to have a full Pokedex on my Gen III games. I'd still like to be able to use Pokemon in the Battle Frontier there, but also be able to use them in my newer games.

Really, what it comes down to is that this is a video game! If you're using a cheating device for your own personal play, who cares? It's supposed to be fun. If someone's idea of fun is hacked Pokemon so they can breeze through the game, good for them. I personally don't like the game to be easy, so I only use hacks that will make gameplay faster than it normally would, or to add enhancement to my game (like events). I don't like to actually "cheat".

But when people trade hacked Pokemon for something someone put a lot of time in, or totally beat up someone with non-hacked Pokemon in battle, that's when things get unfair. I think the system is perfect as it is now -- there are checks to prevent people from getting taken advantage of, and players who want to change the way their personal game is still can do so.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
As someone who never battles online, plays for Pokédex completion and buys all the games to trade with himself (I like being in control of how my Pokédex completion is going :P ) , I don't care at all if other people use cheating devices.

I don't use them myself, but I think I might for one reason, and one reason only: event Pokémon for past gen games. I recently finally completed the National Dex in my Gen 3 games (I know, it's like half the current Pokédex, but oh well) , there are two blank spaces in there and I don't like it :) . Other than that, I like catching my mons the legit way, cause that's where the fun is.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
Doesnt matter to me I use AR codes for small stuff like getting charmander and pichu in regions where u can't get them with out trading . Plus like someone said early I won't have the time to train breed or even go shard hunting just to give my pikes a certain move . With that said I have no sympathy for cheaters if your using it to get an edge on the competition Nintendo should ban you similar to Xbox live banning you if you cheat on COD or something. But if you use something like a WPM or level multiplayer I don't Mind

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Who cares if they're "cheating"? It's just a game, owner of the game has the right to do anything he or she wants to with the game, whether it's playing legitimately, playing with action replay, smashing it with a hammer, or eating it for all I care.
Pulling out the logic of your post, it's like saying no one cares if you rape or kill or "play" with your neighbor's wife and daughter since you live in a free, democratic country. People still have to keep a fair and moderate responsibility for their actions, especially if they're bound to trampling over someone else's "rights", or "morals" if they overdo whatever they're doing. Don't forget, most people play games for entertainment. While one may find hacking as "fun", some others may not, especially if they're on the receiving side.

The issue is more about "is it fair? and if so, to what extent?", than "should cheaters burn in hell?". Generally, most people simply hack for convenience - they are actually free to do so. Now others simply don't do it because that's what they think is right. Be it their ego, morals, pride, or sense of challenge, there should be no big deal.

However, some just abuse it to seriously and intentionally trample over others, I guess, and that's where the messy stuff begin. To cite some examples in the entertainment industry (games, CDs, etc), there's a reason why there's always a "Fair Use" section for any EULA or "Terms and Conditions" stapled in some corner. Basically, we still need a list of "limitations" to keep the world in peace.

Nonetheless, your post would've been totally acceptable only if Pokemon simply never involved online or competitive battling altogether. Same goes with: if there was only one person living in this world (or in your household/apartment/neighborhood), there would've never been any limitations or rules or laws to follow.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I use an Action Replay -- I've been playing Pokemon with a "cheating" device since R/B/Y.

There's a couple reasons I use it, and some restrictions I have for myself.

1) Events. I don't have time or the motivation to go to a Toys R' Us always, and I think it's really stupid for me to miss out on stuff just because I didn't get around to playing a certain game until years after.

2) Speed. As an older player (I'm 25 years old) I really just don't have a lot of time to play. I have a full-time job and lots of other commitments, and I like to have a social life too. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I train every single Pokemon I catch. So I usually use a 2x or 4x EXP code. Because otherwise, it would take me years to beat one game the way I like to play.

3) Convenience. I've never had many friends who were into Pokemon, so I've never had many friends to trade with. Sometimes, if my brother has had a different version, we've been able to trade, but otherwise, if something is version specific, I will hack in an egg or something like that.

4) Cloning. I worked hard to have a full Pokedex on my Gen III games. I'd still like to be able to use Pokemon in the Battle Frontier there, but also be able to use them in my newer games.

Really, what it comes down to is that this is a video game! If you're using a cheating device for your own personal play, who cares? It's supposed to be fun. If someone's idea of fun is hacked Pokemon so they can breeze through the game, good for them. I personally don't like the game to be easy, so I only use hacks that will make gameplay faster than it normally would, or to add enhancement to my game (like events). I don't like to actually "cheat".

But when people trade hacked Pokemon for something someone put a lot of time in, or totally beat up someone with non-hacked Pokemon in battle, that's when things get unfair. I think the system is perfect as it is now -- there are checks to prevent people from getting taken advantage of, and players who want to change the way their personal game is still can do so.

You have good points. I think everyone who uses their AR in a restrained way probably thinks the same.

I quit using mine because I heard of possible damage to the games but I'm still skeptical about it. I had a Gameshark for N64 back in the day and the codes never harmed my games at all. However, I never use codes like walk through walls which CAN break the game if not used properly.

I also believe PokéGen doesn't harm the game as long as you create a legal Pokémon.

The problem is that GF really forces us to use it. To have a complete Pokédex in BW2, for example, you'll probably need 4th gen games to transfer starters and legendaries from, if you don't want to beg for Pokémon online. To stand a chance in competitive battling, you'll need perfect Pokémon, which are easily attainable with an AR. And, to get more TMs (in 4th gen and older games) and evolutionary items beyond what the game offers, you'll need an AR. I remember in 4th gen games there were only one or two of the new evolutionary items, with NO possible way to get more. So if you wasted your Protector on a badly EV trained Rhyperior, you were done and couldn't get another one. Ever since 1st gen, GF has made it hard to get evolutionary items. In 2nd gen it was ridiculous as there was only ONE of each Stone (excluding Moon and Sun Stones) in the games (Crystal fixed that in a very gimmicky way). In DPPt there's only one Up-Grade and only one Dubious Disc, with no way to get another. I don't know why they do it, but it certainly forces people to cheat.

As someone who never battles online, plays for Pokédex completion and buys all the games to trade with himself (I like being in control of how my Pokédex completion is going :P ) , I don't care at all if other people use cheating devices.

I don't use them myself, but I think I might for one reason, and one reason only: event Pokémon for past gen games. I recently finally completed the National Dex in my Gen 3 games (I know, it's like half the current Pokédex, but oh well) , there are two blank spaces in there and I don't like it :) . Other than that, I like catching my mons the legit way, cause that's where the fun is.

Easy way, buy the "main" games, then the rest you download the ROMs into a DSTWO and take your Pokémon from that... Not recommended if you're not into piracy... But yeah, trading with yourself is costly but pays off.

Back