• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3rd Game or Sequel Speculation

What would you like to see in Generation VI after Pokémon X and Y?

• Total voters

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2013
    I mean I guess I could see a sequel to the games, but you can't really know until X and Y come out. It depends on the story, and if a sequel would be good enough for the game.s Personally, I would like to see a ruby and sapphire remake before a sequel or anything like that would to for X and Y.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • This poll did not contain my answer.

I'm expecting/hoping for a single sequel, not a third version, by the name of Pokemon Z.

I believe that sequels are VERY superior to third versions, because they provide more content than just a new battle facility. Sequels offer us an entirely new story, set years in the future. Similar to how GSC gave us a glimpse to how Kanto had changed over the years, sequels do the same without a region having to bleed over into the next.

If Gamefreak created a third version without a new storymode, that would be taking a huge step backwards.

Think about it: what exactly was it in BW1 that actually required there to be two sequels? One, was that depending on which legendary N aligned with in the prequel, you would catch in the sequel. Second, the scenery of technology/nature remaining constant. Third, version exclusives. That's it.

But are any of these actually necessary for a sequel, especially when we have capabilities like the memory link? If X and Y were to offer different environments, Z could offer entirely new scenery. Just as how Crystal/Emerald/Platinum had different exclusives, so could Z. Just as how they allowed you to catch all 3 legendaries, so could Z.

For those not familiar with Memory Link, it allowed BW2 to get extra features after communicating with BW1. Z could do the same, except it would differentiate between X and Y to affect the world differently. This would have to be done in such a way that those who didn't play X or Y wouldn't miss anything, though.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I also agree for it to become a single sequel. I don't think a "third" game would be even justified. In the past the 3rd games did not only contain a slightly changed story but also new features like in crystal we got the animated sprites and female playable character, battle tower and in yellow we we got a following pikachu and we could get all starters and it removed the missingno glitch and mewtwo dungeon was diffrent and of course anime pikachu voice. But since ruby&saphire the third games added less content. In emerald you could choose if you wanted latios or latias and you could catch all main legendary's. That's what i hated in the third gen and later on. That you could not cath the opposing pokemon if you had ruby or saphire. But then again it had some extra features to like animated sprite again and diffrent colors on the characters and instead of only the battle tower we got the facility's. Platinum was like emerald not much added content even less than emerald had over the third gen. And now for the reason wy a third game wouldn't be justified is that it will be on the 3ds we could have DLC for extra features or maybe extra storyline ANd thats wy i would like to have a single third game that is also a sequal. And if the sequal would get added features they should become a dlc for the older games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I also agree for it to become a single sequel. I don't think a "third" game would be even justified. In the past the 3rd games did not only contain a slightly changed story but also new features like in crystal we got the animated sprites and female playable character, battle tower and in yellow we we got a following pikachu and we could get all starters and it removed the missingno glitch and mewtwo dungeon was diffrent and of course anime pikachu voice. But since ruby&saphire the third games added less content. In emerald you could choose if you wanted latios or latias and you could catch all main legendary's. That's what i hated in the third gen and later on. That you could not cath the opposing pokemon if you had ruby or saphire. But then again it had some extra features to like animated sprite again and diffrent colors on the characters and instead of only the battle tower we got the facility's. Platinum was like emerald not much added content even less than emerald had over the third gen. And now for the reason wy a third game wouldn't be justified is that it will be on the 3ds we could have DLC for extra features or maybe extra storyline ANd thats wy i would like to have a single third game that is also a sequal. And if the sequal would get added features they should become a dlc for the older games.
    Emerald fused the plots of Ruby and Sapphire, and had a different ending to the conflict between the Super Ancient Pokémon (the Weather trio's in game title), the first battle frontier. Platinum added forms, changed the story, added more post game content, and legends that weren't in DP. So I don't see how they added any less content than Yellow or Crystal...

Also we don't even know if they'll have DLC...it's possible Gf will not put it in order to justify a third version...

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Maybe it will be known as XZ/YZ instead?
    Like fusing Xerneas to 'Z Pokemon',
    in a similar fashion where Yveltal combines with "Z Pokemon",
    since lotta people suggested the motif as DNA.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If Game Freak want to make good money then their best option would be direct sequels similar to Black 2 & White 2. They went down so well, perfect reviews, great storyline and sales for those games went through the roof.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I would much rather prefer Z than X2 and Y2. I kind of feel that...B2 and W2 (to me) were made to kind of correct the faults that were present in B/W. Continuation of the storyline is nice and all, but that would mean that they're just re-making the entire game over again, just with more added features to make the game more interesting. .___.;

I'd rather a totally different game like Z be the case. I'm not asking for anything to be drastically different, but I don't think there needs to be a storyline extension unless necessary.

I kind of agree with your opinion,
    my suggestion is a complete whole new plot,
    but not a direct sequel like BW2,
    while taking place in the Kalos region.
    That would bring a fresh twist to game bloggers,
    game magazine and fans as well.
    New different criminal syndicate,
    new sets of main and rival characters.
    Instead of changing the Gym Leader or adding a new location for a new Gym,
    Why not move the Gym to an another location instead?

Years
  • Maybe the sequels can have a name like Team Cool which uses Ice Pokémon...
    The sequels can be Pokémon W and Z (W is the chromosome that goes with Z btw) lacking the X2 Y2 as they aren't actually sequels like B2W2 were but more like how GS were sequels to RG except in the same generation.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • If Game Freak want to make good money then their best option would be direct sequels similar to Black 2 & White 2. They went down so well, perfect reviews, great storyline and sales for those games went through the roof.
    Honestly, I would just wait for the third version (and not buy X/Y) if not for great possibility that the "third version" would be a sequel. They're getting my extra $50.

Maybe the sequels can have a name like Team Cool which uses Ice Pokémon...
    In Black/White 2, Team Plasma became less interesting villains than they were in Black/White 1. I think it's very likely that they're planning the reverse, with some type of way to make the villains more interesting in the sequels--or like you're saying, perhaps a new team all-together.

Years
  • Game Freak could do whatever they want, such as throw a curveball at us on what to do after the release of X and Y, but I chose to go with sequel because I thought that the release of Black 2 and White 2 was such a success for the first full-fledged sequel game, and it would be really neat to see Game Freak make a sequel again..

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm not trying to start an argue,
    please don't take it that way when you read this post!
    If my memory serves right,
    BW2's review scores are slightly lower than BW.
    BW obtaining 40/40 -- perfect score from Famitsu.
    Sales unit are also lower than the first sets of Gen V.

My main point is the sequel failed quite a bit,
    it failed because of it's plot being lighter and not as tense as BW.
    Sequel is actually not a bad idea, but one of the things they should mind,
    that is the plot's quality should be at least on par or much better than the original versions of its own Generation.

Therefore I hope these sister versions we're expecting are not slightly modified versions like Emerald and Crystal.
    Or as sequel(s), with much stronger story line than X and Y.

What I meant was it seems that direct sequels seem to go down better rather than having third games, maybe BW2 didn't get perfect reviews but looking at a collection of reviews from several professional gaming companies I think they did pretty well being the follow ups to Black & White and it seems that if Game Freak did make sequels to X and Y they would generally make more money than a third game would.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    What I meant was it seems that direct sequels seem to go down better rather than having third games, maybe BW2 didn't get perfect reviews but looking at a collection of reviews from several professional gaming companies I think they did pretty well being the follow ups to Black & White and it seems that if Game Freak did make sequels to X and Y they would generally make more money than a third game would.

I apologize for misinterpreting you words!
    I feel silly right now... :3c
    I agree with your opinion that a pair of sequel will bring much money,
    than a solo sister game!
    Though I still hope for a revamp story line of X and Y instead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I could see the Sequels named Pokemon W and Z if they ever do 4 legendary for each chromosomes.

EJ Nero

Water forever
    Years
  • I wonder if the possibility of this generation, or any after, becoming a trilogy exists. Going through the same cities, gym leaders and so on three times would be too tedious; however, GF has already drastically changed pokemon with gen six so there should be no reason they couldn't make it work. X-2 and Y-2 could be direct sequels to X & Y. They would in essence build onto the story, and as in B2W2 bring about new locations in the region as well. Z could possibly be a different side-story who's storyline breaks off of either the original games, X-2 & Y-2, or is completely new but takes place in the region. Perhaps Z could be a main series game that takes aspects from spin-offs (Pokemon Ranger and/or Mystery Dungeon). In addition to this in-between all three we could have a new spin-off game, and a remake of generation three.

If this were ever possible imagine:

X & Y: fall 2013 release
    New spin-off: fall 2014 release
    X-2 & Y-2: spring 2015 release
    Potential Gen 3 remake: spring 2016 release
    Pokemon Z: fall 2017 release

I'd really like to see this generation go out with a bang. There is so much that can be done. Game Freak doesn't have to automatically jump to a new generation after just one sequel. If what I suggested ever happened, generation six would have a four year streak from 2013-2017, or potentially longer if the release dates between each game is pushed a little further back.

Years
  • Maybe Gf could do two pairs of sequels rather than one. Like the first pair can be Pokémon X2Y2, and third be X3Y3. If one put the number as a power the 2 would represent 2D and the 3 3D and tie in with the 3DS and the dimension aspect. Of course a Pokémon Z, O, or W and Z would be good too. Personally I prefer a more original name for the sequels.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • Maybe Gf could do two pairs of sequels rather than one. Like the first pair can be Pokémon X2Y2, and third be X3Y3. If one put the number as a power the 2 would represent 2D and the 3 3D and tie in with the 3DS and the dimension aspect. Of course a Pokémon Z, O, or W and Z would be good too. Personally I prefer a more original name for the sequels.

I personally will always prefer the Trilogy set that is traditional for pokmon. A third game, nothing more...
    Alpha and Omega, that's original, right?~

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The only way we'll know is if there's a third legendary.

The 3rd game is always centered on the third legendary, ever since 3rd gen. So far, there have been 3rd games in 3th and 4th gen. In 5th there were sequels because of the nature of Kyurem. Unlike past legendaries, Kyurem was just a husk waiting to be filled with the power of another legendary and, because you could fuse either Reshiram or Zekrom with it, it made much more sense for GF to make a pair of sequels than a third game. However, despite being sequels, B2W2 still retain a good deal of similarities to BW. Quite a bit of dialogue is the same, and the path you take through the game is much similar to the first games until you beat Skyla.

Deep within the game there will be a 3rd main legendary that will be the key to knowing whether we'll have a 3rd game.

Years
  • The only way we'll know is if there's a third legendary.

The 3rd game is always centered on the third legendary, ever since 3rd gen. So far, there have been 3rd games in 3th and 4th gen. In 5th there were sequels because of the nature of Kyurem. Unlike past legendaries, Kyurem was just a husk waiting to be filled with the power of another legendary and, because you could fuse either Reshiram or Zekrom with it, it made much more sense for GF to make a pair of sequels than a third game. However, despite being sequels, B2W2 still retain a good deal of similarities to BW. Quite a bit of dialogue is the same, and the path you take through the game is much similar to the first games until you beat Skyla.

Deep within the game there will be a 3rd main legendary that will be the key to knowing whether we'll have a 3rd game.
    I think it'll be easier to find out who is likely to be the third based on appearance if they're doing another letter named game.

Also not sure if this is true or not but it's said that GF had originally planned to make a third for Gen V but were forced to make sequels to attract buyers considering the games were for a dying system instead of the 3DS like Nintendo had hoped it'll be.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I'm not trying to start an argue,
    please don't take it that way when you read this post!
    If my memory serves right,
    BW2's review scores are slightly lower than BW.
    BW obtaining 40/40 -- perfect score from Famitsu.
    Sales unit are also lower than the first sets of Gen V.

My main point is the sequel failed quite a bit,
    it failed because of it's plot being lighter and not as tense as BW.
    Sequel is actually not a bad idea, but one of the things they should mind,
    that is the plot's quality should be at least on par or much better than the original versions of its own Generation.

Therefore I hope these sister versions we're expecting are not slightly modified versions like Emerald and Crystal.
    Or as sequel(s), with much stronger story line than X and Y.
    No No No No No No No No No No No Nooooooo

You can't use those numbers that way.
    BW sold 14 million yes but it's been out for 2 years 11 months
    BW 2 has been out for 1 year and 1 month
    So BW2 has sold almost half the copies as BW did in half the time , so if given more time it would of caught up

And also think about this , it was only out 7 months before the next gen of pokemon games were announced , so that's not gonna help sales in the fall

Back