• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leader Sabrina

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
Years
Do you like her? Personally I like her a lot. She's dark, mysterious and she isn't affected by emotions easily. Plus I like her kind of cool attitude.

C.J.

Ugobama on Serebii
Years
I personally don't like her. She is one of my least favorite gymleaders.

bmah

B.A.M.
Years
I think I remember that old episode where Ash battles Sabrina and he loses to her. She's almost/just as powerful herself as her pokemon are in terms of psychic abilities. I think the fact that she controlled a voodoo doll or something like that was disturbing. Sabrina teleported Ash and friends to some other world where the now giant voodoo doll chases after them (now that's a nightmare!).
I think Sabrina's nice on the inside, but she sure is creepy when demonstrating her psychic abilities.

Psychic*Absol

Psychic Student
Years
Is that a question? XD I'm probably one of her biggest fans (see the fanclub 0=) ). Sabrina's the gym leader with the best character development in Kanto save for Misty and Brock, but I don't count them as they're not working as gym leaders throughout the whole Kanto season.
I like that she's not goody-goody like many ohter gym leaders and that we also see glimpes of her childhood and how she grew up. And that she gave Ash a run for his money. 0=)

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
I personally really like her. She's the only gym leader who didn't like Ash at the begining (with the exception of Pryce). She was also unique in the fact that she was psychic, which is a trait I'm afraid to say none of the other gym leaders have. Plus, added to all that, she was one of the few (if not only, I don't feel like raking my brain at the moment) gym leaders whoe's childhood we learned about.

So all in all, I think she is most definatley one of the top Gym Leaders.

Years
The video games don't offer much with her personality, so I'll address the anime and Special.

Anime: Of all the Kanto GLs, it's astonishing Sabrina's given all this detailed back story. Certainly one of pathos and quite the daddy issues (since the powers are from his bloodlines and he pushed the training at the extent of all others), and the doll angle is refreshing. Although, in terms of archetypal personalities, she has all the cliches: quiet, borderline dual personality (even creating a Scarface/Ventirlquist setup, Batman fans will know what I mean), stoic to the point of being a Vulcan. And unfortunately, her final episode doesn't offer much in terms of personality, beyond the telepathic connection to her Kadabra. It's a mixed blessing (as one could say regarding the most emotional stunted Kanto GL, first only to Giovanni perhaps).

On another plus side, Lisa Ortiz offers quite the voice with her, and that should be commended.

Whereas the anime one has its shortcomings, the Special one succeeds.

Special: Of the Kanto GLs, she is unique as she has proven she has more dimension, given the series' standard treatment of her.

One: Unlike the rest of the Elite Triad, she was the only enthusiaistic Rocket vis-a-vis wearing the uniform, as opposed to Koga, who did initially and then discarded it. Then there was Surge, who was more neutral, but later cared, as seen in the Silph showdown and the G/S/C saga. Either way, Sabrina was the true believer of the bunch.

Two: Indulgence. One major theme with Sabrina is indulgence and the ability to outlet herself. Since her doll was absent, the writers offered a personality shift whenever she was in Battle vs. her in conversation. Her emotions surge out most in the game, there. Special, while not addressing it like the anime (like in the laughing scene with the Haunter), plays with her subtext given in Three.

Three: Humanity. This isn't an issue of compassion, but more on herself as a person and her interactions with people. One being her female side as shown with Green's breast joke and her insinuations toward Giovanni (creating an interesting ship) in the Silph showdown. Other examples would be her acidic relationship with Koga, and the amused/bemused interactions with Green in both the dubbed arcs.

She comes off as a person, not a caricature. On the down side, Special offers no back story or any reason to care about her, beyond what is laid before you. It's a shame, it really is, because it would make for such a delicious package.

That is my take, for what it's worth.

I'll correct the spelling later.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
Remembering things like that from so far away makes me want to watch those episodes again.

When you think about it she did got he most time in the anime and focus. Not counting Giovanni, Brock and Misty. Blaine had the most time devoted to when it came to gym leaders from Kanto. Sabrina had three if you count the first time Ash frought her, the Haunter episode because they only reason they went to Laverner Town was because of her and then the episode where Ash gain the badge. Blaine only had two episodes.

We really never got to know her personity. We only really saw her as a evil like person and her nice side was only shown after Haunter saved her. All we can tell from her was that she was nice but pushed too far because of her psychic abilities. Seeing how the episode ended we can all guess she is really nice.

She isn't really my fave of the gym leaders but she was a good one. Sabrina is one of the gym leaders from Kanto you don't forget because of what she does and it was a great change compare to the other gym leaders of Kanto.

Years
Actually, all the Kanto GLs were distinctive in their own way, but yeah, Sabrina really stood out. Amazing they could do what they do given her two-dimensional sprite character. One thing I forgot to say before is while Ono did use her in his manga, she had a rather generic pleasant personality from I recall. She was so cheery, it was frightening.

Given Sabrina's overall 'creepy' image, I'd almost say Ono's portrayal of her was out of character. On the other hand, it's nice to deal with a Rina who wasn't Ms. Gloom and Doom, right?

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
Well the other Kanto Gym Leaders were much nicer compare to Sabrina. She was kinda crazy and acted more like a villain compare to Blaine and Lt. Surge were. The only gym leader that comes close to how villain like was like you said Pryce.

This is where I wish that the anime creators would be a bit more aftermath with the gym leaders and have showcase them a bit in Battle Froutier so we can see how Sabrina is doing now. I would really like to see how she is with out her doll and evil like personity.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2022
I really like Sabrina, as she is my favorite gym leader and one of my favorite characters. In the anime, she actually had a backstory, as well as a family. She was one of the very few gym leaders that was a villainess to Ash, although it was not totally her fault that she was. And of course, she proved to be an extremely powerful gym leader. The manga also makes her to be the most interesting of the Rocket gym leaders. Her ongoing with Green was very amusing.

Psychic*Absol

Psychic Student
Years
*muses about how there was actually a title named 'Psychic vs. Ghost! Midnight Battle!' in Kanto BF and they were actually near Saffron...* The writers must hate me...
Anyway, I think her personality in Ono's manga wasn't as good as in the anime/Pokemon Special, but she still had some. She was driven by the revenge for her pokemon, and there was something between Brock and her...

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Shes alright but I really don't like her because she has "Psychic" type Pokemon and I don't like Psychic type Pokemon but other than that shes okay I guess

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back