• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google introduces Chromecast

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Google's Chromecast is Mountain View's next foray into the television market. In brief, it's a $35 HDMI dongle that mirrors content being played nearby on a tablet, smartphone or computer. (Hrm, that sounds familiar.) Importantly though, the mirrored content isn't beamed from your local device, but is streamed from the cloud direct to the dongle when you activate mirroring on a Chromecast-compatible service like YouTube or Netflix. At that point, your PC or mobile is freed up for multi-tasking, and for working as a WiFi-based remote control for the content on the bigger display. Check out our hands-on to see the Chromecast in action, or read on for more detail.

Source: Engadget

OK, if you're anything like me, you kinda want one of these! It's only $35 and you can beam things from your phone or PC straight to your TV straight through your WiFi connection! No, your TV doesn't even need internet access, either. OMG I want one so bad ;-;

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or not?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Judging by the commercial they provided, it seems like you may need either a Chromebook, or an Android phone to stream videos or TV shows to your TV. However, I really like the fact that it's actually....cheap! $35 bucks for a USB powered streaming adapter? I'm sold. I really want one too!

I have a feeling this is probably gonna beat out Apple TV and Xbox. With Chromecast you don't need a giant box and all that. :D

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
This... actually looks pretty nice. Unlike the Google Glasses
Also the price is really great, 35$. Apple would've sold it for like 100$...internet connection required.

Years
It looks promising for the price, and I may seem interested in one, but probably won't be getting one since I already have a Roku box in my possession, and I just see it being similar to that, and it seems similar to Apple's AirPlay, except that the content comes from the cloud instead of the local device.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
I have an epic need for that thing.

Too bad it'll probably be hard to get for a while.

I don't want one bad enough to pay and arm and a leg for it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Hmm...$35? So, factoring in exchanges rates etc. that'll probably be £150 over here in Britain. We get overcharged for everything else, so I don't see why it would be different.
Sounds pretty cool though.

Back