• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I like your accent, where'd you get it?

droomph

weeb
Years
  • What accents do you like? In addition, what accents would you say you have, compared to where you live?

I personally like Irish and Scottish accents, for some reason. Mainly because it's the closest to actual English. And the russian accent in females is very…cool? I don't know the word for it, but I like it.

Andddddd california. so you can tell already right?

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I like british accents and I dunno what else really. I dont have an accent myself.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I like the Swedish accent, if you want to know, also the American one-Georgia.
    My Scottish accent has disappeared a few years ago, so not really an accent.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I have a South Australian accent myself. It's pretty much entirely self-taught with the help of learning the IPA and practicing pronunciation for years. I used to speak with a light Canadian accent when I decided I wanted to teach myself to speak Australian English, and in the process, I kinda made a pitstop at Cockney and accidentally forgot how to flap my t's. It's not really problematic, and it gives my accent a little idiolectic twist, but I am teaching my self to flap my intervocalic t's again.

As for the accents I like. Of course, I love Australian accents (kinda why I wanted to teach myself one). Broad ones are pretty awesome to hear, possibly from the years of religiously following the Crocodile Hunter when I was a kid. There aren't that many accents I dislike, to be honest. Most of them are either so ridiculous they are comical: such as the Lanky dialect or Yorkshire dialect, or are incredibly sexy and cool, like Scottish, Aussie, and Canadian. American accents kinda fall in the neutral zone with me, even though I love Mid-Atlantic accents, and Southie English kinda falls in the so ridiculous it is comical category. New Zealander accents are something I try to avoid (and sometimes fail at that) speaking. I've occasionally shocked myself with my pronunciation of words like fish and chips as fush and chups, and I've been frantically hypercorrecting that by tensing my i's even more than ever. Still, I don't dislike New Zealander accents, as long as I don't start speaking it myself.

The only kind of accents I strongly dislike are the half foreign half English accents, especially the Dutch version of English known as Steenkolenengels is lurchworthy whenever it appears within my hearing range. Most other foreign accents add an exotic tinge, but Dutch, no...no...just no.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Off the top of my head, I'll say the British, Australian, Scottish, Irish, and Jamaican accents are probably some of my favorites.

As for myself, I've just got your average American accent. Whatever that is.

Sirfetch’d

I like Australian accents the best, but Jamaican accents always make me happy too!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • British.. but only certain types... I don't like south london accents, birmingham accents, and some other misc british accents. German is quite nice, too! That's about it, though .o. And I have a Canadian accent.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Received Pronunciation and General American; radio voices.
    My accent is Estuary English, notable for th-fronting.

There's no such thing as not having an accent.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
  • hmm,i like Swedish accent while speaking English..it sounds funny specially R letter lol

i like my accent when it comes to Arabic...i find it the easiest and coolest of all Arabic accents..

hmm,French accent is good but i hate that they speak so fast that i don't get what they say >.<

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
  • One of my friends is from norway and he has a pretty great accent.

I'm from south wales, and so I have a welsh accent.

There's a plethora of different welsh accents though; but mines more of a coastal/south wales accent.

For reference; Joanna Page is from the same hometown as me.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I don't really care that much. I:

I don't think I have an accent. However, because of previously knowing some Spanish, I occasionally (accidentally) roll my tongue while speaking. Sometimes it gets on my nerves.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
  • I looove it when people speak spanish and roll their Rs. It is gorgeous.

I have a crush on my friend and when she does that I just melt. :0

Or when she says El Nina or something in science class. Mmmm

Crushes aside, I like a strong english accent. Not the harry potter whatever, but the one where it sounds like their nose is plugged up. I don't know why.

Welsh roll their R's a lot, and have some sounds that aren't in English entirely. Such as Ll, which is a sort of 'Chluh' sound, hard to explain.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I don't really like accents, and I've been told that I don't really have an accent. I say some stuff in an odd way, though. Sometimes I pronounce long E's as short E's. But seeing as everyone around me as a southern accent, I think I turned out well.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I love Australian, British, American, French and Japanese accents. There are others I might have left out, but none of them come to mind as of now, or I just don't recall how those accents sound like.

As for me, I have a.....Malaysian accent? My accent is a mix of this and that. Must have come from my country's historical background with dealing with different countries. Perhaps when I try that Accent Challenge around here, you'll be able to hear how I sound like. ;P

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Well, I have a strong Scottish accent, with living in Renfrewshire for nearly 21 years. The accents that I do like are: Northern English accents, French accents, Spanish accents, Japanese accents and also Eastern Europe accents.

Years
  • I don't think I have any favorite accents, but I do love to hear the word choices of people who are fairly fluent with English despite not being native speakers. Some of them can be quite poetic or just clever.

th-fronting.
    I find this kind of thing fascinating. It always grabs my attention when I hear it and makes me wonder if differences in pronunciation like this will increase over time.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Irish. The Irish accent is sexy as hell and that's it. It's all in Harry & Gav's accents.
    Apart from that, the British accent is really sexy too ;-;

Back