• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Moth's Vs Butterfly's Vs Bee's

TheTrenchCoatVenomoth

The Trench Coat Venomoth
Years
  • In Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow There were 3 Main Bug/Poison Types Butterfree, Beedrill And Venomoth Which one was you're favourite

Guest123_x1

Just so we know, Butterfree is actually Bug/Flying, not Bug/Poison like the others listed.

As for any of these, my choice would be Butterfree. Looks really cute, and can learn some interesting moves (particularly Confusion.)
    I'm not all that fond of Beedrill - although it can learn some unique moves, I don't find it to be all that useful. Similar story for Venomoth.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    Without accentuation via TMs or HMs, it's gotta be Butterfree for me. When it learned confusion it started to pack a punch.

Beedrill looks like it should be a menace, but it's not.

Years
  • My favorite would have to be Venomoth, I like its design and usability most, even though it didn't have much of significance (especially late in the game) it had Psychic, which was nice. And a better balance of stats I would say. So yeah, that one.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I liked Butterfree because it looked so beautiful xD

Venomous didn't really appeal to me and Butterfree just looked better o stall than Beedrill. But Beedrill would be my 2nd choice because it looks baddass!

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Venomoth because at least it's pre-evolution is half useful, the frustration i get from trying to win battles with Metapod or Kakuna scoring half points since it can't actually win a battle by itself takes forever to get to Level 18 or whatever it is for evolution.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I caught a Caterpie in my first game and had a Butterfree, so I've always had a soft spot for it. I love all the moves Butterfree can learn and you don't tend to get Venomoth until later in the game, plus Beedrill starts off with Fury Attack which is not that useful while Butterfree gets Confusion.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • My choice would have to be Venomoth, it has always been a favorite of mine since I was little. I would always have a lot of problems training Venonat's though.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Venomoth, by far.

Butterfree was fine up until you got to Vermillion City, but pretty useless after that due to the stronger Psychic types that became available, and Beedrill is just awful, generally. Pin Missile and Twinneedle are decent moves, but Beedrill can't land more than one hit without being KO'd.

Venomoth is one of the fastest sleepers in the 1st generation, has a wide and varied movepool and can cause all sorts of problems with its unpredictability. It's fragile, but it's not built to tank or sponge hits, it's like a Bug-type version of Electrode with less speed, very much a one-hit-and-switch Pokemon.

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
  • Venomoth is my favorite generation 1 bug type by far. It's a great Pokemon capable of sleeping other Pokemon quickly and effectively while learning a wide variety of moves. Sadly, both of its stabs for the first three generations were both physical and left the poor bug only capable of using nonstab move effectively, not that generation 1 even had wide amount of bug moves. I love it both in design and usage though.
    Out of the three in the title, I would rank them, Venomoth>Beedrill>Butterfree.

Back