• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first try at making a BW team

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    So, this is basically my first attempt ever at putting together a team for BW. I've been playing DPP and I have that down (I'm not all that good, but I at least understand the threats and what types synergize with what other types). Now I'm stepping into a brave new world in which I have no idea what people tend to use (I seem to battle a lot of UU pokemon that I'm not prepared for), and it's hard for me to get my pokemon to synergize when I don't know what pokemon others tend to use.

Nevertheless, this team has had some moderate success, though I don't think it synergizes well…usually what happens is if I win, it's only because I managed to get in either a SD on Lucario or a Shell Smash on Cloyster, at a point that the opponent just isn't prepared to handle it. When I lose it's because the opponent has a pokemon or combo that I'm just not prepared to handle myself. I don't seem to have a lot of "close matches." Is that just the nature of BW competitive battling?

Anyway...onto the team.

Kitty Cat (Espeon) (F) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Hardy Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

I was really happy when I found out Espeon had jumped up to OU. Magic bounce is really fun to have, and it prevents entry hazards from getting set up which my team doesn't really like. Unfortunately I don't have any way of keeping the opponent from setting up on Espeon. I considered using Mew for basically this same purpose, but it doesn't have magic mirror and isn't as fast. Dual screens because my other team members like being able to take half damage while setting up.

Demigod (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Bullet Punch

This is my primary sweeper. He cleans out a lot with bullet punch backing up extremespeed. Justified for intercepting dark type attacks meant for Espeon, Latios, or Chandelure. I originally had baton pass on Espeon to scout and so that pursuiters would end up hitting Lucario for the justified boost, but removed it for hidden power fighting, which I'm considering throwing out again because it doesn't really do much for me except to hit Weavile who outspeeds anyway. At least with baton pass I can evade pursuit from Scizor, Tyranitar, etc.

Pokey (Cloyster) (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Hydro Pump

I absolutely <3 this guy. He sweeps just as much if not more than lucario. Of course, it sucks that he's weak to mach punch, but mach punch's low BP plus Cloyster's immense defense plus a potential reflect from Espeon could make it not too big of a deal. Of course, he probably couldn't switch in on e.g. Conkeldurr, but if Conkeldurr switches in as a counter while I shell smash, he might be able to KO Conkeldurr before the opposite happens. I think. It's never had a chance ot happen yet.

Belly Flop (Snorlax) (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 SDef
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Pursuit
    - Fire Punch

This one…was unfortunately a filler. I had way too many ice weaknesses before, so I got rid of a gliscor for a Snorlax. Honestly, I'd absolutely love a suggestion for a replacement here, because Snorlax hasn't been helping my team much even during matches I win. Anywya, Body Slam for paralysis, E/Q because E/Q, Pursuit to kill psychics and ghosts, fire punch for, er, dunno. I guess Crunch would probably be better there since I don't exactly have a bronzong weakness (thanks to Chandelure), and fire punch is useless against Skarmory anyway.

Cool Guy (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock

He's supposed to provide much-needed special attack power. I'm considering switching him out for his sister, to use the CM set. Thoughts? I would switch to Choice Specs, but would it really be worth not being able to switch attacks? Or, perhaps a different special attacker would be better here.

Chandler (Chandelure) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

I really liked the look of this guy, as well as the fact that he has sky high special attack along with ghost typing and flash fire. To be honest, I would have rather it been levitate, but ah well. He never seems to have a chance to switch in on a fire move, because none of my other team members are really weak to fire and therefore nobody can really act as a lure. I wouldn't mind replacing this guy as well. The trouble, as I've already noted, is simply that I don't know all the other options so I'm having a hard time putting together a good team.

Problems:
    -Chansey/Blissey. Even Latios's Psyshock doesn't do much. In one battle (in which the other guy had BOTH Chansey AND Blissey >_>) I used psyshock and it did less than 1/3, which of course is easily softboiled off. I could hardly bring Lucario in because if he got t-waved, he'd be relatively useless against anyone that couldn't be OHKO'd with one of his priority moves. So, I really think I need a taunt user.

-A good deal of random other stuff. Lol.

Halp?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well you kinda have a Terrakion weakness which hurts basically everything and that stands out more than the ice weakness (of two Pokemon), plus you've got Chandelure/Lucario for the ice weakness whereas you have basically nothing that isn't majorly affected by Terrakion.

I'd personally switch back to Gliscor, since Chansey/Blissey can't really do anything to that and if it has Taunt/Poison Heal then you're all good because you can taunt them to stop them from attacking/healing or doing anything, and being poisoned won't affect you. Also the fact that Terrakion can't hurt it really much either, which is a good thing.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
    Impish
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt / Ice Fang / Facade
    - Protect

That'd be the most appropriate tbh, and Snorlax doesn't really add anything imo.

Also Espeon needs Timid to outspeed things that'd otherwise outspeed it, not Hardy. :x

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Well you kinda have a Terrakion weakness which hurts basically everything and that stands out more than the ice weakness (of two Pokemon), plus you've got Chandelure/Lucario for the ice weakness whereas you have basically nothing that isn't majorly affected by Terrakion.

I'd personally switch back to Gliscor, since Chansey/Blissey can't really do anything to that and if it has Taunt/Poison Heal then you're all good because you can taunt them to stop them from attacking/healing or doing anything, and being poisoned won't affect you. Also the fact that Terrakion can't hurt it really much either, which is a good thing.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
    Impish
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt / Ice Fang / Facade
    - Protect

That'd be the most appropriate tbh, and Snorlax doesn't really add anything imo.

Also Espeon needs Timid to outspeed things that'd otherwise outspeed it, not Hardy. :x

Fuu. How did I miss not having changed Espeon's nature...

Anyway, going back to gliscor is actually a fantastic idea. Before the gliscor I had was the flying gem acrobatics kind, but this would work much better. Thanks!

Would you recommend any other changes? I ask because I'm trying to absorb as much knowledge/insight from experienced people as possible.

Years
  • Hey not a bad HO team kind of reminds me of SOMALIA's.

Anyway shave you considered a Specially Defensive SD Scizor over your Snorlax? It makes you a bit less vulnerable to Terrakion and also checks Specs Latios really well, which is able to effectively run through your team with Draco Meteor, not to mention it helps against Dragons in General, since most of them are frail and Technician and STAB Boosted Bullet Punch is cool for tearing a whole through them. I'd also throw Recover> HP Fire on Latios; Luke and Chandelure take Ferrothorn to the cleaners and you can play around Scizor, I really think it's best to use Recover to constantly keep Latios alive so that you can beat Rain/CB Terrakion.

Scizor (F) @ Iron Plate
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
    - Swords Dance
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Roost

Last edited:
    Back