• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
I think I've asked this question for one time but received no valuable answer. I mean, how do I add background music for Bicycle theme and Surfing theme? Now the music doesn't change when I use surf or start to ride on a bicycle. Please help.

shinylugia249

I'm back
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
You right click on the name of the map on the left and select MAP PROPERTIES.
The auto-change Bgm is the music.

mad.array

Eeveelutions... need more...
Years
Ok, I was originally going to answer a few questions before asking my own but I realised that mine would be lost underneath the answers. So I'm putting mine first :P

1. Is there a way to make it appear as if an NPC has used Flash? Obviously I wouldn't want the 'X has used Flash' or the animation to appear. It's basically going to be part of a cutscene.

2. Has anyone got the pokeball to appear in the battle window if the pokemon you are facing has been caught? I'm tending to get confused myself about whether I've caught pokemon when playtesting.

3. Every time I launch my project from within RMXP, any animations I've edited revert back to the converted RMXP ones. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Ok, time to answer some (and hopefully get the m right)

@Hall of Famer: Go into the metadata,txt in the PBS folder. You should see a section that defines what the music is for wild and trainer battles. Underneath those put lines:

# SurfBGM=yoursurftune.mid
# BicycleBGM=yourbiketune.mid

Obviously what comes after the equals sign will be whatever your midi files are named.

QUOTE]@Yaoimutt: The information about the D/P berry trees hasn't been put in notes.html yet and I can't make head nor tail of it. Hopefully the information will be released soon. Or someone wiser than I might already know.

@Yuoaman: The information for setting up trainers isn't in the editor, as it's a heavy customisation of the normal RMXP. The information can be changed in the editor.txt (when it works) or by manually editing the trainers.txt and trainernames.txt files in the PBS folder. If it is a new type of trainer not already entered then Read this quote. If not go straight on ahead to the end of it.

Go into trainernames.txt and go right to the bottom. The last one should be 082. Add 083 on the next line and add your information in this style, obviously ignoring everything in brackets:

083(which you should have already added),SITHLORD(The name that the engine looks for, not seen by the player and not allowed to have spaces),Sith Lord(Class used on the battle screen),80(Optional. This is the money the player gets, multiplied by the level of the highest pokemon that this character uses),Sithbattle.mid(Optional. Used if custom battle music is going to be played),SithVictory.mid(Optional. If victory music is played),DarkEncounter.mid(Optional. Music to play when the character approaches you on the map after they get the exclamation mark above their heads),MALE(Or FEMALE, depending)

Ok, so you've either read the quote or not. Now we move on. Open trainers.txt and once again go to the bottom. You'll see some other custom trainers from the default starter kit. Add a new one and edit like so (again replacing my info with whatever you want and ignoring stuff in brackets)

SITHLORD(Internal class name of enemy)
Darth Loki(Name used in battle)
3(number of Pokémon)
TYRANITAR,67(Species,level)
EMPOLEON,71
TYPHLOSION,73

If you had more or fewer pokemon in the guys squad then you'd need to add/remove lines. There is other information you can add to the pokemons data, but I usually leave it as it is.

Ok. Last step. Look at the way poccil makes a trainer in rmxp, on one of the test maps. You can basically copy and paste the event onto your map, changing the graphic if need be. Then look for the class/name of the trainer and change them to yours. You may also want to change the text used. I hope that wasn't too confusing (or so late that someones sent you a PM).

Thanks for slogging through guys.

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
3. Every time I launch my project from within RMXP, any animations I've edited revert back to the converted RMXP ones. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

i've noticed this myself and the only way i've found around this for the time being is to use the RMXP animation editor.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Darksun: Copy and paste this script into a new script section, above Main.
Code:
def pbAddPokemon(species,level)
  if pbBoxesFull?
   Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("There's no more room for Pokemon!\1"))
   Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The Pokemon Boxes are full and can't accept any more!"))
   return false
  end
  speciesname=PBSpecies.getName(species)
  Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} obtained {2}!\1",$Trainer.name,speciesname))
  pokemon=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,level,$Trainer)
  pokemon.makeShiny if $game_switches[50]
  pbNicknameAndStore(pokemon)
  return true
end
Then use the same code as previously given, replacing the pbWildBattle with pbAddPokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Ok, I was originally going to answer a few questions before asking my own but I realised that mine would be lost underneath the answers. So I'm putting mine first :P

1. Is there a way to make it appear as if an NPC has used Flash? Obviously I wouldn't want the 'X has used Flash' or the animation to appear. It's basically going to be part of a cutscene.

2. Has anyone got the pokeball to appear in the battle window if the pokemon you are facing has been caught? I'm tending to get confused myself about whether I've caught pokemon when playtesting.

Ok, time to answer some (and hopefully get the m right)

@Hall of Famer: Go into the metadata,txt in the PBS folder. You should see a section that defines what the music is for wild and trainer battles. Underneath those put lines:

Obviously what comes after the equals sign will be whatever your midi files are named.

QUOTE]@Yaoimutt: The information about the berry trees hasn't been put in notes.html yet and I can't make head nor tail of it. Hopefully the information will be released soon. Or someone wiser than I might already know.

@Yuoaman: The information for setting up trainers isn't in the editor, as it's a heavy customisation of the normal RMXP. The information can be changed in the editor.txt (when it works) or by manually editing the trainers.txt and trainernames.txt files in the PBS folder. If it is a new type of trainer not already entered then Read this quote. If not go straight on ahead to the end of it.

Ok, so you've either read the quote or not. Now we move on. Open trainers.txt and once again go to the bottom. You'll see some other custom trainers from the default starter kit. Add a new one and edit like so (again replacing my info with whatever you want and ignoring stuff in brackets)

SITHLORD(Internal class name of enemy)
Darth Loki(Name used in battle)
3(number of Pokémon)
TYRANITAR,67(Species,level)
EMPOLEON,71
TYPHLOSION,73

If you had more or fewer pokemon in the guys squad then you'd need to add/remove lines. There is other information you can add to the pokemons data, but I usually leave it as it is.

Ok. Last step. Look at the way poccil makes a trainer in rmxp, on one of the test maps. You can basically copy and paste the event onto your map, changing the graphic if need be. Then look for the class/name of the trainer and change them to yours. You may also want to change the text used. I hope that wasn't too confusing (or so late that someones sent you a PM).

Thanks for slogging through guys.

well.... that doesn't answer my question at all, we have a lot of scripters on this topic that CAN answer the question. i know the information isn't in the note.html, or else i wouldn't ask. (and as far as i know, they berry trees never really worked in dp, they only actually did what they were supposed to in ruby/sapphire)

i've noticed this myself and the only way i've found around this for the time being is to use the RMXP animation editor.

same here, i have over 63 battle animations done, i did them the first time around in the editor, but for some reason, that never really worked, so i ended up doing them in the normal rmxp.

Dose anyone know how to make 1 animation be for the enimy and one for the hero? (for the same move, just one happens when the hero attacks, and the other happens when the enemy attacks)

and lastly, does anyone know how to make a reacuring attack animation? (for instance, the wrap attack happens several times, but after the first time, there is never another animation for some reason)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Yaoimutt: the recurring animations haven't been implemented in the scripts yet, as the pbAnimation method is only called when the move is used and not when it says "OPPONENT was hurt by WRAP!".
To fix this, search for "pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} is hurt by {2}!",i.pbThis,movename))" in the PokeBattle_Battle script, and add "pbAnimation(i.effects[PBEffects::MultiTurnAttack],@battlers[i.effects[PBEffects::MultiTurnUser]],i)"
directly before it (without the speech marks). I haven't tested it, but give it a go.

MisterTdK

Game Maniak
Years
Does anyone know how to change the color of the text in the battle menu's? (Also the text of the name of the Pokémon)
Because I changed it to D/P style, but the text is still black so the Pokémons names are hard to read.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Yaoimutt: the recurring animations haven't been implemented in the scripts yet, as the pbAnimation method is only called when the move is used and not when it says "OPPONENT was hurt by WRAP!".
To fix this, search for "pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} is hurt by {2}!",i.pbThis,movename))" in the PokeBattle_Battle script, and add "pbAnimation(i.effects[PBEffects::MultiTurnAttack],@battlers[i.effects[PBEffects::MultiTurnUser]],i)"
directly before it (without the speech marks). I haven't tested it, but give it a go.

thank you very much. i'll try it out!

any does anyone know when the first movie was supposed to take place in the series?

also, i want to make a custom evilution where if the trainer has the 6 of the same specific pokemon in his party, then the one in slot 1 evolves, how would i do that? (i got the idea from salmon, because if a hole population is female, then one or two will turn male, so i thought it would be cool if a pokemon evolved that way)

Last edited:

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years

Thank you for this answer. However, I tried adding those lines in my metadata.txt file with the correct music track names but it still doesn't work at all. How can I add the background music for Surfing and Bicycle themes, please help!

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
Thank you for this answer. However, I tried adding those lines in my metadata.txt file with the correct music track names but it still doesn't work at all. How can I add the background music for Surfing and Bicycle themes, please help!

upgrade to the latest starter kit and then go to the visual editor. using the gui, don't click on any of the maps. instead double click empty space and it'll let you edit the metadata. or you could it the short way and edit metadata straight from the separate editor.

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
upgrade to the latest starter kit and then go to the visual editor. using the gui, don't click on any of the maps. instead double click empty space and it'll let you edit the metadata. or you could it the short way and edit metadata straight from the separate editor.

You mean the starterkit I'm using doesn't have this feature yet? If so, I'll have to ask someone to upgrade it for me again. I already sent several to Flameguru who helped me out last time but received no reply. Can someone else help?

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2011
Is there a caterpillar script that's compatible with the starter kit? I want Pikachu to follow Ash like in Yellow Version.

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Is there a caterpillar script that's compatible with the starter kit? I want Pikachu to follow Ash like in Yellow Version.

Make a custom Charset with Ash and Pikachu and have it as PlayerC or PlayerD and set it as the Main Character when appropriate.

@ Hall of Famer:

I've been busy over the last week and I'm leaving for a 1 week vacation Friday so I won't be able to help for another week to a week in a half.

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
Make a custom Charset with Ash and Pikachu and have it as PlayerC or PlayerD and set it as the Main Character when appropriate.

@ Hall of Famer:

I've been busy over the last week and I'm leaving for a 1 week vacation Friday so I won't be able to help for another week to a week in a half.

I see. So can someone please tell me how to implement the Surf and bike background music even without having to upgrade the starterkit? More specifically, what script section do I have to edit and what're the codes?

shinylugia249

I'm back
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
Can someone tell me how to play an animation while it hails in-battle. I already have the animation i just need it to play in battle.

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
Years
like wat kind sl. an attack animation? if its an attack one. wat you do is set it in the database. and im pretty sure the pbs has something with the attacks that tell you their animation or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back