• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What starter did you choose?

Which Hoenn starter did you pick?

• Treecko

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Torchic

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I've always chose Mudkip, even if i like only his sprite and not much his evolutions. But, considering that it can learn many powerful HM such as surf or strength, being both water and ground type i think made it really powerful, combining Mud Shot and Muddy Water in battles.
Sometimes i try out Torchic, more rarely Treeko, on the emulator got a save for everyone of them as usual.

Years
I picked Mudkip, cos it was the one that did the best job for me.

Also, I love Water-type starters best.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I usually pick the Water starter, so at first I decided to go with Mudkip. Not only that, but I liked its design also, and it seemed the coolest for me. But now, I usually go with Treecko, since Sceptile is more of my favorite now.

MichaelSK16

Pokemon Connoisseur
Years
I almost always take Torchic because Blaziken is awesome. The Blaziken family has always been among my favorites and Torchic is my favorite starter out of all of them.

Years
First time I played through Ruby I picked Mudkip. I don't even know why, as none of them look all THAT cool to me. I just went with him.

Of course, then he eventually became Swampert and was outstanding, so yeah, no disappointment there. :D I'm pretty sure once Emerald came out I even went with Mudkip again- I'd gone with the other two before it, and it just didn't seem worth going with one other than Mudkip.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I beat the elite four at least twice with each starter but I can't pick a favourite! AAAH so frustrating seen as every other gen I know my favourite of the three.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
I never liked Mudkip's design (I know it's a shallow reason to not pick a starter), so I never chose him. I always went with either Treeko or Torchic, but Torchic has seen the most action.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
The Gen 3 starters are the most interestingly designed in my opinion, but Torchic is my favorite starter to this day.

Years
I usually go with the water pokemon so I picked mudkip, also mudkip has the cutest cry ever. (Sounds a bit cruel but ... meh) In The Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire games I actually love the grass pokemon, treeko, though. Probably one of the only pokemon games I like the grass starter in.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
3rd gen was when I started the tradition of always choosing the Fire Pokémon at the beginning. Before, I chose Bulbasaur and Totodile.

Why? Because it was when Gamefreak started to troll us Fire-type fans.

Really, if you don't choose Torchic in RSE, you have only three options for Fire-types: Numel, Torkoal and Slugma. Between those, Numel is clearly the best, the others just plain suck.

DP made it worse by only making Ponyta available. The only new Fire Pokémon in 4th gen besides Chimchar were Magmortar (evo of Magmar), and Heatran (a legendary). Luckily this was sort of fixed in Platinum, when they made five lines available prior to beating the E4, all of them really good (even Flareon).

So from 3rd gen onwards, I always choose the Fire-type, even if the other starters look better or have better stats. It's my answer to Gamefreak's trolling. The only real break Gamefreak gave to us Fire-type fans was in 2nd gen, when they gave it two more resistances (against Ice and Steel), an advantage (against Steel), boosted Charizard and Arcanine's Special Attack stat, and created Houndour/Houndoom.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I always pick the starter that is based on what color the version I'm playing.

Torchic on Ruby, Mudkip on Sapphire, and Treeko on Emerald.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I went for Mudkip. So far, I have always picked the water starter in my first game of any generation, and gen 3 was no exception. I also have never been all that fond of the gen 3 starters (unlike a lot of people). I did add the other two to my team later, and Blaziken has grown on me, but I wasn't too taken by the other starter choices when I started my gen 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back