• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Welcome To Amer-I Mean Unova!

Years
  • So as we all know, Unova is based on America, specifically New York. Do you think Unova did a good job of representing New York? How about America as a whole? Were there any monuments or places or characteristics of the USA you wish had been included? Did you like that Unova was based on America, or do you think Pokemon should have stuck with basing the regions off of Japan? Should the reference have been toned down?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I liked that it was in America! It was a nice new change for the games to vary up where they're at. Plus the advantage is you've also got awesome new Pokemon designs that couldn't happen in Japan, such as Braviary, Garbodor, etc, which all make NU even better! :3;

Plus Castelia wouldn't be as awesome if it wasn't based on America~~~

Years
  • This was one of the reasons I loved Unova over any other region, the basis of America is just such a nice break-away from the usual stereotypical Japanese-based region. And like what Nica said there's Pokemon designs that would not have happened if Unova was based on Japan like Braviary, Garbodor and I think even Scrafty and Cinccino.

Also, Castelia City just reminds me of NY so much! If Unova had a Japanese basis it wouldn't be cool eh?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    With no offense meant, I think the whole notion of it being based on New York has been vastly overblown (not in this thread - just generally). Yes - I know Masuda said it was inspired by it, but I think what he meant when he said that and what people have taken it to mean are obviously different things. I mean - just look at it.

The overhead view of Castelia City bears some resemblance to lower Manhattan, and that's really about it. By the time you get out to where Long Island would be and find that it's a Mexican shanty town straight out of a Sergio Leone movie with a volcano looming overhead (or when you come out on the other side of that volcanic mountain and find yourself at a Caribbean resort, or when you go south from Castelia and find yourself in a windswept desert surrounded by steep canyons), I think you should be getting past the idea that it's really, in any broad sense, anything other than VERY loosely based on a fairly broad range of environments, most of which have counterparts in or near North America. And that's about it.

Back