• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriter's Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoisevil

Evil Trainer
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
Felt like making some Chespin fanart so I made this about a week ago, hope you guys like :P

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Elygem, that is one cool portrait. I like the way you blended the outlines with the black background, and you made him look good by using minimum colours.

Geo, that Chespin looks nice, but I suggest you rethink that shading on the head. Other than that, it is pretty nice.

geoisevil

Evil Trainer
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
What would you suggest needs to be re-shaded on the head, because the current shading is accurate for the light source.

geoisevil

Evil Trainer
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
It's monocolored for a reason, its bright enough that it doesn't need shade, but also doesn't have a highlight to show that its a little farther back and very slighlty darker than the other pieces who have highlights.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
So I recently started getting into pixel art for my game, since I'd rather use my own graphics, but I'm in need of some critique.

2el2RGO.png

This is one of the gym leaders. As one of the first pixel sprites I've made, I'd really appreciate some critique and help in ways to improve and what not. (I can't seem to make the hair look non-sharp and stale)

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
That's pretty good! Unfortunately, hair tends to be a problem for novices and experienced spriters alike, as there's no hard fast rule about how it should look. The only advice I can offer is to think of it as more of a fluid than a solid, liable to come apart the farther it is from the source, and to try shading with lower contrast. Whenever you're replicating an existing style, it's also helpful to closely examine and play around with the original sprites, to get a feel for what looks good and what doesn't.

rr2wcj.png

Here's a slight modification of the hair from the sprite you posted. While it's just a few small changes, they have a big impact on the design. Take a close look at differences between the two, then try applying the same principles to other characters' hair.

You may also want to avoid using #000000 (true black) and #FFFFFF (true white) in sprites.

Mortalis

Years

Wow, that's much better! Thanks for the tips. You actually fixed up her hair exactly the way I imagined it. I created her VS. sprite first, then went on to to her trainer sprite.

BDjsMEF.png

As you can see, you pretty much fixed the bangs the way I wanted them to be (now just to manipulate the bangs in this picture as well). Thanks again! I'll get to fixing the sprite and artwork up.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I didn't mean for you to use the modified hair (although you're free to, of course), I just wanted to show you a practical application of what I described. Make sure to keep these things in mind when working on future sprites. :)

Mortalis

Years
Oh, yeah of course. I meant I was going to apply what you showed me, but in my own way. (: This is how it came out.

7qjqGD5.png

As you can see, you helped me out a lot here. Thanks again!

geoisevil

Evil Trainer
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
These are my Fakemon starters for my personal region. I actually made their sprites in like July, but I wasn't really active on this site at the time, so here they are now :D The fire is Hyember, grass is Chemling, and water is Phantide.
my_starters__who_ya_gonna_pick__by_geoisevil-d5by1d0.png
starters_backsprites_by_geoisevil-d5k3x3a.png

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
This is my first semi-scratch trainer sprite
(I took one hand, and the two boots from another trainer sprite(official))
myfailattempt_zps49499060.png

Inspiration/Based off of Amon (I am not trying to make an exact amon sprite I just like amon's look, and thought it could work from my hack)

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
A fire-based Elite Four member. :)

elite_four_russell_by_superjub-d5ud3e9.png

(copy & pasted from another website where I posted this sprite.)

Elite Four Russell (name meaning "little red" which I found VERY appropriate.)
"WOAH, WOAH WOAH! I'm on FIRE!"

• Magcargo
• Ninetales
• Magmar
• Flareon
• Houndoom

Russell is a man of a very short stature. He has a very fiery and excitable personality and often shouts when speaking. He is also easily angered.

Due to his size and love for fire, before becoming an Elite Four member he was a member of the Ekkul circus. Since a young age he's been infatuated with flames, and this passion has often caused him problems. He has mastered arts such as fire-breathing and juggling torches because of this, which has assisted him many times when he was a part of the circus. In recent years, mostly due to not being occupied with the circus anymore, he has took on experimenting with chemicals to, as he puts it, "create the most shockingly-amazing explosions! BOOM!"

Despite his seeming less-than-intimidating appearance, he as proven to be a powerful trainer and the Champion himself while watching him at the circus took him in as his student and Russell is now the fourth and strongest member of the Elite Four.

Last edited:

Trainer Jun

Team Rocket Veteran Trainer
Years
So... I decided to draw my own sprite of Retribution's character...
picture.php

EDIT:Whoops! Forgot the bangs. Oh, well. Finishing it with my left hand (because my right one is feeding me Hot & Spicy Cheez-Its).

EDIT 2: Here is the left-hand-edited pic.
picture.php

FINAL EDIT: ... Sorry, guys. I just had to make sure I really liked it. The angular symmetry is fixed on the pigtails.
picture.php

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2014
Tyler Durden Trainer Sprite

What's up fellas.

I need feedback on this. I'm working this sprite for my hack, and I need it to be convincing that it will look like the original character.

So here is the trainer sprite I made resembling Tyler Durden from fightclub.

gymleadertylerdurden.png

If u don't know who the fluff he is. here is a pic:
warning: big image
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Nice sprite you've got there Retribution. It's clean enough, the hairstyle is good, but I really don't understand what's with his right hand (left from here) and what's putting off the smoke on the right side. The legs look a bit stubby, but maybe that's just his character. I think the right leg (again, left from here) needs a little less curve since that's making him awkward.

Trainer Jun, I can't see your sprite.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Nice sprite you've got there Retribution. It's clean enough, the hairstyle is good, but I really don't understand what's with his right hand (left from here) and what's putting off the smoke on the right side. The legs look a bit stubby, but maybe that's just his character. I think the right leg (again, left from here) needs a little less curve since that's making him awkward.

Trainer Jun, I can't see your sprite.

Thanks for the compliments. :) As for what's going on with the right hand, it's meant to be an explosive solution of sorts, hence the smoke. :) I could try and make it a bit more obvious I guess though. xD As for the legs, yeah they're meant to be stubby but I guess I could elongate them a little. And yeah, I agree with you on the curve. I'll sort that out now. :) Thanks for the constructive criticism. ^^

And I'm flattered Jun. :) I can't really see the sprite either though. :o

And so this isn't completely irrelevant, you're welcome to offer your thoughts on this:
06aaae1817273c0e468f640b9009da84-d5vd7t0.png

One thing I know is going to be brought up is the legs, but for some reason I can't seem to make them look... 'right'? Idk, maybe I need to expand the skirt a little or make it flatter. Any other advice would be nice though. :)

Also, just to give you a bit more of an insight onto this sprite, it's meant to be a revamp/correction of this:
Student_Trainer_Sprite_by_Superjub.png

Which in turn is a revamp of this:
OLD_Student_Trainer_Sprite_by_Superjub.png

Both of the previous versions are really old so brace yourself because they're pretty bad. xD

EDIT: Updated her a little. Fixed up the more glaring issues. :)
new_female_student_sprite_by_superjub-d5vd7t0.png

EDIT: Updated Russell :)

>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back