• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animal Testing-Good or Bad and Why?

Hero of Time Link³

KFC's 33rd Employee
Years
I'm doing a school topic on Animal testing(the use of animals to test drugs etc.) and I was wondering if you guys could help me gather info about what "normal people" think about it.( I guess this could got Other Voting Polls but I don't really know)

Last edited:

Jester Girl

Heke?
Years
To be truthful, if it doesn't harm the animal too much I think it's perfectly fine. After all, we can't figure out something with out testing it out, right.

Same with vegetarianism, it doesn't do anything for the society. Really, it doesn't. If we didn't eat meat in the beginning of time we wouldn't be here today.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I think it's probabaly necessary. It usually doesn't hurt the animal in any way, but if it did, I would rather that not happen to a human.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Again, I would rather that not happen to a human if it didn't work.

Here's the deal. Animal Testing has led to medical breakthroughs that have saved human lives. It's really the only way. Our other, less-appetizing options are:

a) Suffer through diseases and medical issues that could be cured through research done on animals.

and b) Do testing on humans, which is what Hitler did.

I don't know about you all, but neither of these sound that great.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2011
Animal testing for cosmetics is nothing but vanity and putting them at risk. However I feel that using animals for useful purposes (such as medical progress) are a good reason for it to be continued. Without animal testing on drugs, many of us wouldn't be here today.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
Years
I think animal testing is fine. Animal torture, skinning endangered animals, stuff like that... I feel that's unethical.

Becoming a vegetarian because of animal-pity.. I don't agree with because the few people that follow such a cause, I feel that they are not changing anything about that. Food is food and yes, we are omnivorous.

It is inhumane to take human test subject for medical studies that are unprecedented, so the next thing is to use something similar and more expendible. and yes.. that unnamed dog, that lab rat, that monkey... they definitely are.

Besides... in order to make an omelette, you gotta break a couple eggs.

Years
  • Age 32
  • MA
  • Seen Jul 26, 2008
I don't agre with animal testing, but there are other things to worry about when looking at this subject. Although potenially killing an animal is a horrible thought, think of all the positives that can be taken from it; I don't consider a mouse's life to be equal to a humans, so if a medicaton that could potentially be used in order to fight disease, I would rather the testing be done on an animal, than another human =/

But testing things such as cosmetic supplies, shampoo, etc. on animals I think is wrong.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Better animals than humans is my point of view. It's blunt, yeah, but as far as I know most governments share the same sentiment. It is regulated so it's not like it's torture.

I don't mind if people are against it--I can deal with that--but I hate when they say they're against it since it's not fair to the animals and then turn right around and are perfectly happy to step on bugs and such. I mean, if you're going to value an animal's life right up there with a human's, it should apply to all animals. 9_9 A little off-topic, but that hypocritical view comes up all the time when I end up talking about these topics with people. ~_~ Fuzzy kitties and bunnies and mice are just as much animals as spiders and flies.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
Years
like I said before.... a nameless dog being experimented on in terms of human-based research can be far more beneficial and is more ethical.

if you want to get all theological about it, animals are meant to serve man... but yes, there is a point where even that can be abused.

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
Years
I think a lot of people have it wrong.

Most of the time the animals aren't being hurt.

I know I for one would rather see animals being tested on then humans As cruel as it May seem It is doing humans good.

I seriously doubt the government will stop it because it is "Wrong" to some people. But that's my view

Memory

let's waste time ✖
Years
To be truthful, if it doesn't harm the animal too much I think it's perfectly fine. After all, we can't figure out something with out testing it out, right.

Same with vegetarianism, it doesn't do anything for the society. Really, it doesn't. If we didn't eat meat in the beginning of time we wouldn't be here today.
...*ahem* :x *tries not to bring on big rant*

This is a tough question. I do not think, though, that animals should be tested for such things.

More proof that we as humans view ourselves as the top of the food chain, better, etc. etc.

We all know that no one's going to test on a human, because humans are almighty. >>;
Animals are no different. At least, I don't think so. Because animals can't talk or think on levels that us humans can... we kill them, destroy them, laugh at them, test on them, beat them.

But then there's the debate of letting a whole bunch of humans die rather than a few animals, etc.

I've thought long and hard about this question. I believe... that humans can find something else to test on.

I mean, if we can build computers, rockets, send people to the moon and predict the landing within a fraction of a second, surely we can find something other than animals to test drugs on. It's simply the fact that no one wants to, because today, as long as we the humans are happy, that's all that matters.

Don't matter that we're destroying entire rainforests, because we get paper from it!

Don't matter that we're torturing chickens, because we get a good Thanksgiving dinner from it!

Don't matter that we're testing on animals, because it's saving lives in the end! So why find something else to test on?

..yep. It's all about us. ><

Jester Girl

Heke?
Years
I don't think I want to get into a huge debate, so I'll make it really short and simple.

It's the circle of life, the food chain, and even though we can live with out meat, it helps with our system; actually. Of course, I don't feel pleasure in seeing a chicken get it's head
cut off, but it's the world.

Such as, how a wolf hunts a rabbit even though he could eat another type of animal. I doubt they can eat fruits though (I think their digestive system makes them only able to eat meat, if I'm correct).

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
The Russian and American space programs had to send dogs and monkeys into space in order to prove that living organisms can survive being launched into orbit. Laika died only because Sputnik 2's thermal control system malfunctioned. Gordo died only because his parachute failed. Better them than Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard.

Back