• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hyrus [IC: Rated M]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

AVA - Dalenham

The bar they had stumbled into was worse than The Broken Keg and far emptier too. It didn't smell as bad, most likely because of the lack of patrons, but the sight of it was unkept, dusty and the overall feel was not homely, like a tavern should. Nevertheless, Avangeline followed her mercenary group in and listened as Varian briefed them.

"The name's Varian Sigmund. If you didn't know by now, we're a team. We watch each other's back, and work together. We don't go off charging ahead talking about glory and honor, and we don't do stupid, reckless stunts unless we need to. You work together, and you follow me lead, and everything will go smoothly. If not, you can tell the gods I said hello. Any questions?"

Teamwork. That wasn't something that Avangeline was particularly used to, but it wouldn't hurt to learn. Most of the time, she had fought with others but never with strategy or tactics. She was good, she knew it, like she always told herself, and never thought to bother with silly things like 'stab them in the weak spot'. Because she already knew the weak spot.

"The name is…I mean I am Alys, a Ranger of Raelus. Are we going to be in any more inn fights?"

"I hope so! Inn fights are fun!" Avangeline gave a bright smile to her companions. "I am Ava, a red-scarfed half-Elven maiden. Or maybe I'm a witch. I've been called a lot of names," Avangeline shrugged with a giggle. "I do have a question though; does our band of mercenaries have a name? Or sigil? Though we may be temporary, it's always better to have a name that others can fear. And write into history."​

CrumbledCandyWrapper

-being tossed on the pavement-
Years
From the moment he'd set sail through the treacherous waters surrounding his homelands ... From the second he and hus shipmates set sail for Ekilore a mere month before... Even last the awkward promotion he'd received from King Calason a while before as well ... Despite all of these happenings, despite his mind racing a mile a minute with random queries and thoughts ... Up until the moment where he'd reached the top of Oculus Tower in Ekilore, Ladamer Loure Vanhaussen hardly uttered a word between that time.

The sound of his voice and slightly startled him as he mused it. It came out smoothly and violable enough, but Ladamer hadn't heard it in so long that the coarseness surrounding it made him blanch, if only for a brief moment.

"While I do wish to accept an invitation from such honorable and humble an eunuch such as yourself," he said under his meager hoarseness. "...I do find it hard to believe that such a trifle ... stone could, by itself mind you, stop sickness and hunger alike ..." He turned to one Percival Grey and his compatriot as he spoke. "I for one find the concept to be distastefully ridiculous ..."

Surely the looks he was about to receive from the other "knights" amongst him weren't those of approval. After all, Ladamer was now the only one who appeared to not want anything to DO with finding this "Stone of Ardor"...

It was what a monk responded with in turn, that made Ladamer change his mind.

"King Calason denied us his audience then, I suppose ... Lord Vanhaussen?" an eunuch said with his arms dauntingly flailing inside the sleeves if his robing.

The monks words came out as a surprise to Ladamer, who hadn't told anyone of his courtship, or of his newfound position in Raelus' palace. Despite the fact, being addressed as a "lord" by the eunuch disrupted him inside a smidgen.

"A pity, that ..." the monk continued speaking of Calason's absence. "I'd heard many Ola tale of his workings throughout the countryside ... The "Sea of Flames" I've heard it called, when he went to war not so long ago..." Crossing along the other onlookers among him, Ladamer watched as the monk walked over to him. "Tell me, young sir ... was that incident of your doing?"

Ladamer was more than insulted. "...And what of it if it was?! I shall not be under question for wars that weren't of my doing! I was but a child when this occurred ..."

"And yet, you still wish it hadn't ... Am I correct, Vanhaussen?"

With shocked stuttering, Ladamer quickly responded. "It isn't my place to question my king's decisions once his mind be set on accomplishing them... If so, there would've been many a war we would have never taken to. Not just this, "Sea of Flame" as you call it.

The monk knew very well that what he was doing was working. Once he'd shown Ladamer a different perspective, surely he'd join the others on the quest with no objections. "Does it really have to be you contesting his rule, Ladamer? What if you obtained the power to end the reasoning behind wars, and still serve loyalty to your King in Raelus?"

Ladamer shook his head. "...There can be no such power ..."

"Ah! But there CAN! Which is what brought about us summoning you all here. Find the shattered pieces and return them here once they're all collected. Then, then you'll see, squire. You'll see that there can indeed be an end to famine, to conspiracy of war and the death that always follows.

"...Think of the Lamapoureans that could only wish they'd had this type of power ..."

It may have been a lowblow to use the deaths and enslavement of his people as an example for this quest, but Ladamer couldn't disagree that the monk had a point.

As if he'd needed more goading, which he really didn't, the monk continued on. "What if there was but ONE chance? What if this Orb of Ardor could hold the key?"

"Alright!" Ladamer voiced, echoing across the observatory. "...I see no need to object it any further ..." He turned back to the others in the room and bowed his apologies. "...I, Ladamer Vanhaussen of royal Lamapourean blood ... humbly accept this quest, and shall join you all on this journey ..."

And while it was completely out of character for him to do so, he removed his hands from his sleeve and patted the young eunuch on his back three times before quietly walking back into the fray of warriors ...

The warden

I'm back!
Years
"We could always use another for our job. You're in. Come on, we should move out of here." The leader said, as another few mercenaries joined them. He lead them away through the back streets of Dalenham. Despite this being a seemingly unsafe thing to do no one was foolish enough to try to attack such a heavily armed group, as such the journey was uneventful. They entered another tavern and the groups leader took them to a man he seemed to know. They talked for a few seconds before the leader stated that the group wanted rooms for the night and they sorted the arrangements.
Then the leader sat down in a chair next to the man and started to check his wounds.

"Right. Since we have picked up a few new faces, I'll explain what is going on in case are unaware. A merchant has just offered us a fairly substantial fee for the rescue of his daughter from a group of brigands of some sort. We are to meet him in front of the Dalenham gates tomorrow and he'll give us the first part of the payment as well as the background information on where exactly we're going. The name's Varian Sigmund. If you didn't know by now, we're a team. We watch each other's back, and work together. We don't go off charging ahead talking about glory and honor, and we don't do stupid, reckless stunts unless we need to. You work together, and you follow me lead, and everything will go smoothly. If not, you can tell the gods I said hello. Any questions?" The leader said picking a piece of glass out of one of his wounds and placing it on the table. A simple grunt was all that Tyson gave in response to his short speech. Team work, as long as he got to fight and more importantly got paid there wouldn't be a problem. But that bit about not charging off, that could be a little harder for him to handle.

"The name is…I mean I am Alys, a Ranger of Raelus, are we going to be in any more inn fights?" A young woman, the Archer of the group introduced herself.

"I hope so! Inn fights are fun! I am Ava, a red-scarfed half-Elven maiden. Or maybe I'm a witch. I've been called a lot of names, I do have a question though; does our band of mercenaries have a name? Or sigil? Though we may be temporary, it's always better to have a name that others can fear. And write into history." The she-elf said, she had a pair of crossed broadswords strapped across her back, which Tyson would be surprised if she could wield. But then again elves were known for being strong despite their fragile looks.

"Tyson Reeves or Red to those that know me. Ma question is when do we finish up here so I can get a drink?" Tyson said, looking around the group, he was still making his mind up who he would trust to watch his back. He wasn't one for working with people but a big group like this gets bigger jobs and that means needing someone around.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

Varian Sigmund and Cassandra Alexandera- Dalenham, Edward's Tavern

"The name is…I mean I am Alys, a Ranger of Raelus," Alys announced. Varian looked at her suspiciously, but did not speak. He had dealt with few Raelusians before in his life, but enough to garner their reputation as a very different sort of people than Alys was. Still, he had barely known her to begin with, so it wasn't fair to judge her in that way. Either way, whether she was harboring a secret or not was none of Varian's business. He imagined they all had some sort of mystery they would rather keep to themselves, and Varian didn't care much either way. She then asked if there was going to be any more inn fights. Varian thought the question a bit funny, if only because he assumed she really didn't care for inn fights at all. The funny thing about inn fights to Varian however, was their unpredictability. Inn fights were like the weather. You can't really prophesize when one will happen, but just before the storm, you'll see it coming.

"I hope so! Inn fights are fun!" Ava said, before introducing herself cheerfully. Of the group, Varian would have to say that she seemed the most jovial and positive of the group. "I do have a question though; does our band of mercenaries have a name? Or sigil? Though we may be temporary, it's always better to have a name that others can fear. And write into history."

Varian leaned back and thought about that for a moment. The thought of adding a name to them, or at the very least a sigil or banner did seem like an enticing thing to do. Varian never cared much for such things to begin with, but the prospect of potentially remaining with this group for a while did seem like there was merit to doing so. Besides, if the group would somehow become quite renowned, it would bolster their ability to get clients. "A name, eh? Might not be a bad idea…we can think about it, see if we can come up with something later…"

The newcomer, who referred to himself as Tyson Reeves, or simply 'Red', posed another question regarding drinks they could get. Varian shook his head, before turning to an inebriated Cassandra. "Looks like we've found you another drinking partner, Cass." Varian said to her. "Assuming you can hold your drink, that is." He turned back to Tyson. "Well, you had your chance to drink at the Broken Keg. Eveamoorian guards by now are probably all out tonight just itching for a chance to throw some drunken fool in the dungeon, and I'm going to need all of you for the assignment tomorrow. Preferably sober." He declared, shooting a glance to Cass.

"Oh right! That reminds me!" Cass exclaimed and leapt from the chair with a slight wobble. She carried herself to the bar. "Oi! Edward! Get me something!"

"Don't ya think you've had enough?"

Cass narrowed her eyes before grabbing the bartender by his collar. "Listen to me you little weasel! I am thirsty! You owe me some money from when I saved your skinny ass from those bandits. Now replace my money with some booze before I drive your face through the bar and steal every drop of your cheap piss!" Edward gulped before pouring a glass of something. Cass scoffed and knocked over the meager glass, snatching the bottle from Edward's hands. Varian, who was watching Cass converse with Edward, shook his head. He spoke back to the group.

"Do what you like. Sleep. Go out into the city. Get into a fight or two. Explore Dalenham. Get a few more drinks. Talk about your life stories to each other. I don't care. But whatever you decide to do, be in front of the town gates at dawn, or we'll leave without you."

Varian said no other words to them as he got up from his seat and proceeded to the upstairs bedrooms. Killing orcs and then getting tangled up in that barfight was quite a weary day, and Varian wasn't about to ruin a perfect chance of coin by doing anything else stupid tonight. He was sure even thought Cass will end up getting into some sort of trouble tonight, she'll be fine by tomorrow. She always is.

"You call this booze! I call it water!" Cass roared. "Now where is your dog? I need to kill something."

Legend

Kingslayer
Years

Percival Grey- The top of Ekilore

The monk weakly smiled as everyone seemed to fall into line. The elf, Colin Arcamenel, apologized for his insolence and seemed moved to undertake the quest: "I apologize for my outburst of doubt, it was shamefully displaced. With such an opportunity, how could one not put forth their purest intentions when such good could be achieved? For an orb so powerful and capable, I will gladly partake in this quest as both an honored soul and a servant to Hyrus."

"Very good, Lord Arcamenel. Your participation in this endeavor will be noted and your legend will be told throughout the land," the monk said with a nod of his head.

"This quest is indeed befitting of one such as me. I vow to gather these shards and place them back together. I will not falter, and every foe that will stand in my way, no matter where he may hail from, shall be felled in pursuit of this cause. Let it be known that upon this day, Roland of the House Grey, champion of Reigncliff, will see this mission done."

The monk raised a eyebrow, amazed by the enthusiasm of Roland. "While your desire to be the champion of the land is welcome, do not dare think you can do this alone. Pride comes before the fall."

He took a glance at the others, taking their silence as a solemn acceptance of their quest. Being speechless was to be expected, as the Monk had slammed their so much information that only the strongest of minds would be able to wrap their heads around everything. Percival stood with a low posture, head down, admiring the floor for whatever reason. The Monk cocked his head and looked at him. "Is something wrong, Percival Grey?"

"No, nothing."

"Then I take it that you accept this quest?"

"Yes, of course. I shall do my best to carry out this quest. I just..."

"I would expect nothing less. I see that you have a great destiny before you and that you words and actions will do much to influence the world. Do not let your faith waver," the monk said, appearing to reassure the young noble of Ethora.

"I do have a few words to say before I send out to the world. Firstly, while we have kept knowledge of the Orb of Ardor hidden within the confines of this great tower, they are others who undoubtedly have knowledge of it as well. These nefarious groups will seek you out once word of your actions spread throughout the lands of Hyrus. You must prepared to fight. Blades will bleed and shields will shatter. They will do everything they can to stop you. You must make sure they do not succeed."

"To aid you in setting out on your journey, we have commissioned a ship captained by a….Richard Mayce of the Golden Islands. He will continue to serve as an ally of ours. Do not worry, he has been given a brief summary of the quest. Though, if he does have any questions I would not hide anything from him. It is best to be informed on a quest such as this. My Eunuch friend there will set you out the door. The fate of Hyrus rests in your hands. And may the grace of your Gods guide you."

Percival Grey bowed to the Monks and slowly made his way to the door, awaiting the Eunuch to guide them. "Come with me, my lords. I fear time is not our friend." The Eunuch shuffled his feet to the door, opening it for the others and guided them down the stairs, elevator, and through the grand library back outside on the ground level. Percival Grey welcomed the ground, enjoying the smell of the fresh air of the Deep Blue. Seeing everything from ground level was strangely refreshing, if only because he could see literally the entire world as he knew from the top of the observatory.

"Come with my lords. We must head down to the docks." The Eunuch walked a fair pace down to the docks where a large boat was awaiting them. "Lord Mayce of the Shadow Swan. Please come and greet your fellow Knights."

Arctos

Fire and Blood
Years
Rickard Mayce - Ekilore Docks

Rickard Mayce stood at the helm of the Shadow Swan, a triple decked war galley boasting three sails and 300 oars. The figurehead was not the traditional mermaid but rather a woman with wings spread as if to catch the winds and glide to shore. The sails were a brilliant white and the banner which hung from the tallest mast sported an ebony swan soaring over a sea of crimson, its neck entwined around a sword of silver. Rickard himself was clad in dark, salt stained leathers and a cloak of black feathers fastened at the shoulder with a clasp in the shape of the swan. His only metal armour was a dull and scratched steel plate over his right breast which bore the same sigil as that which adorned the ships banner. He strode across the ship to the edge of gang plank as he heard the monk's summons. Glaring down at the group below he grimaced and descended to the wooden jetty his ship had been moored to.

As he descended the steep plank he took his first true look about the island. A barren land with little scenery of interest bar the docks and the tower. The tower stretched high into the heavens, the top obscured from view by the clouds which swirled about it as though drawn by some force.

"I am no Lord, eunuch. My lord father saw to that, just as the man who cut you saw to your own fate; nor am I any knight…I'm here for the promise of gold…nothing more and nothing less," as he spoke this he met the gaze of each person in turn. He raised his voice as he began to address the entire group, "I was led to believe I would be aiding men and women of skill and reputation. I did not expect to be dragging around this mummers farce," his stare settled on Ser Roland Grey and his eyes screamed disgust at the foppish man before him. After a short pause Rickard cleared his throat and began to speak once more, "You have been informed that this ship is indeed the Shadow Swan, the flagship of my trading fleet. There is enough room on board for a horse per person and enough cots for those who wish to bring a squire. You will be bunking with the crew and are expected to work while aboard. Does anyone have any questions or objections?" He stood awaiting their answers.

Last edited:

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

Roland Grey-The top of Ekilore

After Roland and the others accepted the quest of the Orb of Ardor, the head monk prepared to send them off. "While your desire to be the champion of the land is welcome, do not dare think you can do this alone. Pride comes before the fall." Roland eyed the monk and his words. It wasn't the first time he was scolded by others in this regard, but Roland had proven he was more than capable of balancing what he would call his 'confidence', and his skill. But in an effort not to show disrespect to the monks, he merely nodded in understanding, if only for the sake of their titles.

The monk next mentioned the fact that others would be after them to try to stop them from getting the orb. Roland wonder why this would be so. If the orb truly was the key to 'everlasting peace', why would someone want to prevent it? But a thought had occurred to Roland. Perhaps the orb was capable of multiple abilities, and the ones after it would simply be after a different power, one more selfish and individual.

With these thoughts in mind, and the promise of a ship waiting outside, Roland gave a polite bow to the monks, and casually walked off back down to the bottom of the Tower of Oculus.

***​

"Come with my lords. We must head down to the docks." The Eunuch walked a fair pace down to the docks where a large boat was awaiting them. "Lord Mayce of the Shadow Swan. Please come and greet your fellow Knights."

The one called Lord Mayce was quick to dismiss his title bestowed upon him by the eunuch. As with every man Roland found not in his class, he had an immediate displeasure for the man. However, he did respect the man's forwardness about his reasoning. Not everyone would risk their life for honor and glory. Some required less abstract rewards. As he continued speaking, it was obvious how out of line and out of place the man appeared to be, referring to them as a 'mummers farce', giving an especial glance to Roland as he did so.

How dare he? Roland thought to himself. His displeasure towards the man was growing by the second. He then talked about residing with the crew, and the possibility of working whilst on board. Roland couldn't help but let out a chuckle. He decided not to pay the man the pleasure of an answer on that subject, but he knew he had no intention of laboring with work not worth his name. Roland stepped forward, looking over the ship.

"I must say, I expected the vessel to carry us on this most noble quest to be something a bit less...shabby. But I suppose the monks have purposefully commissioned this pile of refuse for the purpose of secrecy and such. It will have to do. I will have my horse and possessions brought upon immediately."

He took his first step onto the ship, before exclaiming and "Oh!" out loud and turning to the captain. "I'm afraid, Mr. Mayce, there may be complications in my ability to provide my services on your ship. You see..." He said, raising his arms up to his upper chest area, showing them to Rickard. "My hands were made to slay the inferior, not work side by side with them." He gave the captain a polite smile and nod of the head, then proceeded onto the ship without another word.

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
Years
Colin Arcamenel- Ekilore Docks

Following his, the Reigncliff knight made it known that he too was willing to go on this quest of quests. Colin raised a brow at the end of his speech. Roland of House Grey? Is that what he'd said? Roland of House Grey! One of the most famous knights in the entirety of Hyrus. A renowned man with stories of victory trailing in his mere footsteps. The women and girls swooned for him and the men and boys wanted to be him. Colin's surprise was almost insulting. Why wouldn't such a capable man be on this which was the utmost of all missions? His surprise should be directed towards himself! He, of all knights, had been selected by the monks themselves to partake in a noble adventure alongside one of the greatest of men. Did this mean that he was considered to be on par with the man? Certainly not. However, did it mean that he'd been dealt a great honor and, maybe even, a blessing from the gods themselves? Yes. This was an opportunity not dealt without preciseness. Those who have been chosen (those present in this room or in the past even) for such an honor have been obviously deemed worthy by some high hand. Colin could not help but smile to himself. Clearly he had done something good in his past or the gods wouldn't be smiling down on him currently. There was no time for such thoughts like that. What he could only do was humble himself and enjoy the days spent in this honor. It would be tragic, in little words, if he were ripped of this opportunity because of pride or self-exaltation for past duties.

While Colin recognized his blessings he also realized his undoings. His smile, almost in an immediate fashion, faded when the monk mentioned a commissioned boat. His relationship with the water was reminded of him and he had to hold back a groan which so desperately wanted to come from his throat. Sailing! Of all things! It was the only way to get out of this place, ridiculous that he'd forget, but still a curse. Then, coupled too, with the knowledge that all knights would sail together? He wondered now if his blessing had been a punishment in disguise or if that last smile had been the absolute last straw and now all good things were being taken from him. He could foresee the rest of this journey becoming shambles for him. The gods must have known that they were undermining him unless propelled food from the gut was their way of giving him a sudden revelation. He tried to quickly recount all of his wrongs. One of them had to have an explanation. He was sure that he'd already been dealt the punishments of the ones he could think of. He remembered that he hadn't seen his father in literally hundreds of years. That childhood decision had seemed to bring only success and great things up until this point. That couldn't be the reason, could it? Colin thought that, maybe, after this journey, assuming he and his father were still alive, he'd pay him short visit. Or a long one if The Nine so preferred. This may have been a long-term lesson in parental appreciation that he'd missed for stacks of decades.

His religious worries lasted until the Eunuch ushered them outside and back down to board the wooden Hell. Once outside, Colin was pleased to see that the crew of his ship were by now ready to leave or either begin a new task. He would have to signal to them to move his belongings onto this vessel. At the ship they were met with whom Colin assumed to be the captain of the large ship. Rickard Mayce, from what the Eunuch had called him, was a lean man with a nearly-stubbled beard and bloodshot eyes. He looked as though he needed rest with the black under his eyes and he also looked he could do everlastingly better with the way he looked. He had a ragged ear and a scar along his jaw that made him seem... Undesirable or maybe just gruff. When addressed he made it clear that he was not a Lord nor a knight. He was simply Rickard Mayce of the Shadow Swan and wanted nothing but gold. Colin made a face when referred to as a "mummers farce". Following his insult Rickard informed them that they had room for a horse and a squire and while on board they would be expected to do work.

Getting aloft a ship had already been an undesirable, but inevitable ordeal, but now he was absolutely against the idea of getting on this ship at all! Manual labor was not unfamiliar to him (though it had become somewhat of a forgotten friend) but their arrangements along with the attitude of this "Rickard Mayce of the Shadow Swan" was an outrage! In all sense of the phrase, this man had no sense of respect and possibly a lack in education. Even the poorest mother's child had an idea of how to address a knight, let alone another person, especially those who are clearly above them. His rudeness was either because no one had taught him manners or because he chose to ignore them. Either way it was a shining sign of ignorance. Colin's assumptions of the man had been undoubtedly correct. Undesirable. A harsh man, he could bear, but this--this--no, not at all.

There was no requirement for Colin to board this ship. He had his own, he could take his own and simply just follow behind. It would make for more room, something of which Rickard's ship seemingly didn't have despite what he'd said. The "room for a horse and squire" must have been in the same room as with the crew members. If it were anything else, there was no reason that the ship's men could not fit themselves into the apparent extra space and make available open rooms. However, it was not the rooms nor the work that made Colin angriest, but simply Rickard himself.

"Eunuch," Colin addressed, "is it possible that I may take my own ship? My crew seems ready to depart with me presently and it'd only waste time to have my horse and my things moved here if that weren't necessary. That too, bringing my own vessel would provide more room if this ship were to, in some way, run out of it. Unless this would somehow hinder our journey," Colin turned his attention to Rickard, "it would be acceptable for myself and my crew to sail behind, yes?"

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years

Alys and Ava, Dalenham

With the go ahead from Varian to explore Dalenham, Victoria quickly got up from her seat, heading towards the door. If they were going to leave the city at the crack of dawn, then Victoria would need her rest and there would be no time like the present to go stock up. As she reached for the door handle, Victoria heard Avangeline call out her name.

"Hey! Alys!" Avangeline grabbed Victoria's arm and gave it a light tug. "We just got a whole bunch of silver. Did you want go shopping?" Her smile was bright, as if she was a little girl who had been given a bunch of sweets. Avangeline had a very large and very soft spot for spending money when she had enough.

Caught unaware of this gesture of friendship, Victoria stuttered a bit, not really knowing what to say or what she wanted to say. "Uh, yeah, sure, I would be happy to. Do you need anything urgent? Because I need to stock up on arrows..." she flicked her head backwards in an awkward gesture at the quiver strapped to her back.

"Well..." Avangeline bit her bottom lip and looked up, recalling on what she wanted earlier. "A new shoulder plate, a new set of gloves and boots. And I really need my swords sharpened, though I can probably do that myself. And I did see this really, really nice bow and arrow set at the blacksmith the week before last, made from Miracyian wood. Y'know. Just the essentials!"

"Alright then!" Victoria was hit by a gust of wind as she opened the door into the chill night air of Dalenham. Up abouve them stars shone in the sky while the twin moons followed each other across the sky. Ever since she was a little girl, Victoria had found the moons and stars fascinating, hoping that one day they could live on the worlds in the sky.

It didn't take them long before the found the blacksmiths that Avangeline had been talking about; displaying a wide variety of steel, iron and other metal armour, swords and even the Myrician wood bow Avangeline had picked up on the other day.

"You looked so graceful with that sword," Victoria said while looking through a pile of arrow heads and arrows made by the local fletcher, "what entices you towards the bow?"

"A Whetstone, please!" Avangeline said to the man behind the counter, who happily obliged. They were always a far cheaper option and she knew a place in Dalenham which would let her use a stone grinder in one of the guilds. Whetstones were always good on the go. "And could you please look at my shoulder plate?" She handed over the dented plate. It wasn't because it had been hit multiple times, but because she favoured to roll on her right than her left. The blacksmith smiled and nodded, walking over to his bench to inspect the metal.

"I was always taught to fight with swords, yes," Avangeline pulled out one of her swords and admired the metal. It was beautiful. If one was ever to steal it, she would have their head, "but my mother is an Elf, from Miracyia. I thought I should stay to my heritage, don't you think?"

"I guess..." Victoria trailed away, ever since Victoria had left Rowanion, she had experimented with different aliases, being from different places, not once had she used her true heritage as a guise; not even close. Victoria handed the Fletcher sveral copper pieces as she topped up her quiver with Mindirion Iron arrows; they weren't the best, but neither were they the worse, and tipped with poisons, they would be quite deadly.

"So why did you leave Miracyia then? I heard it's meant to be a beautiful place where the trees sing and the animals bear no grudges."

"May I see your gloves and matching boots, please?" Avangeline took her armour back from the blacksmith. She handed over the silver piece she had, who gave her enough change for her to smile back at him. "I didn't come from Miracyia. I've actually never seen it before, only heard stories. I'll go there one day, when I think I can call myself Elf." She turned to Victoria and patted her on the shoulder. "In the meantime, Alys, I'll split heads and cut fingers off!"

"Not before I skewer them!" Victoria challenged the tall elf, beaming at the start of a friendship that had begun to develop between them. Ever since leaving Rowanion, she had avoided befriending people to avoid complications. Seeing as they had formed a band of mercenaries, Victoria would probably need to start making friends with some of them members. "And what do you mean, 'when you consider yourself an elf'? Your part elf, but technically doesn't that make you elven?"

The blacksmith had brought out a few sets of matching gloves and boots. After a quick inspection, Avangeline shook her head, pushing the sets back to the blacksmith with a sly smile.

"How much are these worth each?"

"About a silver piece. A silver and a half for the one on the end," the blacksmith pointed to the black pair of leather boots at the end.

"Well, I am willing to pay at least three, maybe four silver for a decent pair of boots," the blacksmith's eyes grew wide as Avangeline added the 'maybe four'. "Would you be able to bring the better ones out, please?"

"Yes, yes, of course!" he disappeared behind the back. Avangeline turned back to Victoria.

"Well, yes but not really. I only know so much from what my mother told me. When I can fluently speak their language, walk as they walk, talk as they talk, then I will go to my homeland. Until then..." the blacksmith returned with boots, obviously far better made than the previous pairs he had pulled out.

"This one?" Avangeline pointed to a durable, leather pair, the armour lined with beautiful ornamental designs and it was obvious the metal was strong.

"Three and a half silver."

"Throw in two Whetstones and you have a deal!"

The blacksmith obliged, putting two Whetstones on the table as Avangeline passed over her three silver. Nice. New boots. "Thanks!"

While Avangeline brought her boots, Victoria journeyed down two stalls to a man selling alchemaic potions, poisons and draughts. Displayed on his stall were various types of these 'fantsy' waters that were said to inprove health, stamina, sexual porwess, the list went on. But Victoria didn't have time for these homemade concotions. Instead, she admired his range of plants, herbs and other natural gifts used to concoct certain potions.

"You wouldn't happen to have any Vanaheim frost-berry juice, would you?" Victoria asked, hoping that on the slightest chance he would have some.

"No can do young lady," the Dalenham merchant replied, "need to keep that stuff cooled, it's no good down here in this here arid land.

"Well, what about Rowanion Sand Crab Acid?" Victoria was starting to get annoyed, for a merchant in one of the biggest merchant cities, he had very little wares, "or Rastran Scorpion Venom?"

"Can't do either young lady, those Rastrans keep to themselves, barely venture out of their hell hole desert. And those goddamned Rowanions charge bucket loads for the Crab Acid, filthy fish mongers..."

Victoria felt rage full up inside her, not only did this man lack in his wares, but he also insulted her home town. While she gave up the identity of Victoria of the Golden Islands to Realusian Archer Alys, it was still where she came from.

"You must have some Elysian wildflower pollen?"

"That I do miss, but it will be one silver per bottle."

"You dirty, cheating scumbag!" Victoria roared at the merchant, now he was trying to rip her off, who was this guy? Victoria let her hand slip to her belt where the hunting blade sat, ready to slice the man's throat open.

"Hey! Hey Alys!" almost immediately, Avangeline was by Victoria's side, her hand on Victoria's hand, keeping the blade still by her side. She could feel her companion tug up, trying to pull the knife up but Avangeline kept her hand firm. From what she could tell at the tavern, Victoria was not as skilled at close combat as Avangeline was. She feared only a little what Victoria would do at a distance, though. "Calm yourself. He's a merchant, not a monster. Excuse me," Avangeline whipped her around and pushed her away from the street, back to a tavern window.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just this dirty scumbag trying to rip me off," although there was more to it than just that, Victoria refused to tell Avangeline why she was so angry at the man for his comment.

"Do you have much shopping to do?"

"It's okay, I can get that bow later. You don't get mad, okay?" Avangeline let go of her companion and patted her on the shoulder, pretending to pull something out of her ear like the street magicians did. Instead of a piece of copper or an egg, Anageline pulled the bottle of pollen up and placed it in Victoria's hand. "You get even!"

Victoria gazed at the bottle in Ava's hand, mouth agape in surprise. "H-how did you nab that?" she stammered, as her surprise slowly turned into laughter. It was a nice surprise, and Victoria was beginning to enjoy having Avangeline around.

"I've been in a few thieves' guilds. They teach you stuff. Slight of hand, distracting your opponent, y'know. Let's go before he notices," Avangeline ushered Victoria away, leading her down the street and back into the heart of Dalenham. It was starting to get dark and she knew that they both were in store for a big day ahead. "Did you want to check in somewhere? Get a bite to eat before we sleep for the night?"

"Sounds good to me," Victoria glanced around at the stores that lined the streets of Dalenham. "The Sprig and Fern, sounds like a good place, how about there?" Victoria pointed to the rather nice looking tavern that had a variety of plants lining the windows.

"Better than the Broken Keg," Avangeline gave a laugh. "C'mon," she added and pulled Victoria inside.

A blazing fire lit up the warm interior of the tavern as a tall, elven maiden stood at the bar, serving a variety of Ciders from Myracia and Falke to customers who sat and talked quietly. This bar was a vast contrast to the brawling tavern they had been in before, and Victoria admired the relaxed nature the bar had.

Pulling up a stool at the bar, she gestured to the barmaiden, one Spicy Apple Cider please, and for you Ava? I'll pay first round." She asked, placing a silver coin on the bar.

"Just mead, please," Avangeline said, nodding and smiling at Victoria's kind gesture. "Local, if you have it." She enjoyed the view of the tavern, she had been here once before. It was nice. Quaint. And treated people well, from her one time experience.

Victoria took a sip of the nectar, feeling the cool cider drip down her throat, the spicy apple aftertaste staying around a while after the sip. "So, what do you think of the others?"

"The others?" Avangeline tapped her chin for a second, taking a sip when the barmaiden gave her the mead. "They're alright. Way friendlier than some other companions I've had. But maybe more drunk." She gave a laugh, Cass the first one coming to mind.

"Yeah, I guess," Victoria looked to the side, making sure no one around was close enough to hear, "I kinda like that new guy, the one who came at the end with the massive Poleaxe? Although, I think he's overcompensating for something...." Victoria blushed, she always had a thing about guys who were fighters, "...but the others are alright."

"Subtle," Avangeline winked. "Real subtle."

Victoria burried herself in her drink, blushing and smirking at the same time. After she had finished the mug of cider, she let out a big yawn, "Should we head off to bed soon? Need to be up at dawn and I'm looking forward to a bed!"

"Sure!" Avangeline quickly finished her own drink but didn't look tired at all. "Big day ahead of us tomorrow. I wonder who that guy was? Maybe he was a king!"

Victoria rapidly fell asleep as soon as her head hit the soft, pillow. It had been weeks since she had last slept in a bed and as she coiled herself in the covers she slowly dreamt of the days in which she always had a bed to return to.

It wasn't long until she heard the banging from the door as Avangeline hurried her to wake up. Remembering the day they had ahead, she bolted from her bed, quickly putting on her gear before opening the door ready to go, quiver slung over her shoulders and bow in hand.

"Let's go, shall we?"

"Sounds like a fabulous plan!" Avangeline stood, beaming as usual. They exchanged light conversation as they made their way to the gates at the front of town, Varian and a very hung over Cass waiting for them.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back