• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Pokemon Traditions

Sirfetch’d

-I always start with the water type on my first playthrough, then the grass, then the fire type.(Gen 3 was the exception. I started with Torchic.)
    -I always catch the generic bird and keep it on my team the entire game.
    -Teach my starter only attack moves
    -Water starter HAS to know Ice Beam(To take care of the Dragons)
    -Must battle EVERY trainer in the game.
    -I talk to everybody on my first playthrough.
    -Click on anything that I think may be hiding an item.(I am too lazy to use dowsing mch.)
    -Must have a Pokemon know Fly and Surf
    -Strictly use 1 legendary max when battling the Elite Four.
    -Name rival after one of my friends

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    1 - Nickname my starter.
    2 - Plan out my team beforehand.
    3 - Get every item.
    4 - Battle every trainer.
    5 - Catch every legendary.
    5 - Never lose. Ever.

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
    Years
  • - Always pick a grass starter
    - If I did not pick the grass starter, find the first grass Pokemon to use for as long as I do not deem it worthless
    - Nickname all my Pokemon after common christian names
    - Nickname all my Pokemon sexual names
    - Nickname all my Pokemon after old discarded internet memes
    - Nickname all my Pokemon the same way a weeaboo would
    - Eat pie
    - Use all my items and spend all my money right before the Elite four
    - Find at least one Pokemon I never or seldom use and use it on my team

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • 1. Choose the female character.
    2. Give my Pokemon in my main party totally generic boy/girl names for nicknames.
    3. Have a cat Pokemon on my team, always female.
    4. Water, Electric, and Ground types always on my team.
    5. Go into most Gym Leader battles being at least 5 levels higher than they are.
    6. Never have a Pokemon faint in battle.
    7. Catch every naturally appearing Pokemon in the game except for a few species that I dislike strongly.
    8. Keep all six party members at the same level.

mjolnirIV

Graphic Designer
    Years
  • I always choose male, just cos I'm a male in real life lol. I pretty much always choose the water starter, because I feel it generally gives me an easier start to the game. I have a habit of catching a low level pokemon like a pidgey or something, and then training it to a high level, usually higher than my starter pokemon, just because I want too haha. And I usually talk to every npc I can, in the hope they'll give me an item or something.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • -Pick Gender/OT based off the lead singers name of whatever band I'm currently listening to
    -Nickname Pokemon in same fashion, but include bands or other members names
    -Use pre-made team from other version including random Pokemon I haven't used previously.
    -Only finish replaying if I need to RNG events/legendaries, otherwise get bored and give up

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • -I always try to have a move of each type
    -Use every HM needed for the game
    -Use female playable character, if that is available
    -I also always start with a male starter, unless I had a Chikorita
    -Pick my favorite starter on the first version of the generational trio I buy, and so on
    -Always use my starter on my team

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    - Every time I play FR/LG, I train my Pokemon to level 50 before battling Kogga. It takes a long time, but it pays off later :)
    - I always pick a male starter (If I get a female, I restart the game).
    - I tend to always have an Electric and a Ghost Pokemon in my team.

Well.... that's about it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    1. I always play as a girl.

2. Always go with my real name.

3. Always nickname the Pokemon I know I'm going to keep.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    Ever since Crystal finally gave the option to play the girl, I play her even if I prefer the boy's design.

I always use the starter.

I use the "main" legendary(Mewtwo, Lugia, Rayquaza etc.) since the story pretty much gives it to you(especially in Black/White).

I try to have team that's as elemental as possible: water(including ice), fire, grass(to represent the nature aspect of earth), electric, rock/ground/steel(one of these 3 to represent earth) and flying(to represent wind). I've always loved the ideas of combining the elements; it just feels so natural. If I get a hybrid that gives me an extra slot, I squeeze in a non traditional element.

Years
    • IL
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I still press down + B when catching a Pokemon.

And up until recently, whenever starting a new game, I would always get the potion from the PC

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2022
    -Train all Pokemon on the same levels. If I catch a Pokemon I grind until it is the same level as my others.
    -Rotate them: say I have a Pidgeotto, Grovyle, and Corphish at level 18, and my Seviper is level 19; I will NOT use Seviper until everyone else is level 19. I have this weird rotating thing.
    I do that too. Keeps my team nice and balanced.
    Other traditions I do:
    - Keep my starter in my party at all times, except when the situation requires that I use a different team of Pokemon.
    - My team usually has a Fire-type, a Water-type, an Electric-type, a Grass-type, and two other types. (usually a Ground-/Rock-type and a Psychic-type, but that can change; I think the TCG influenced me somehow. =P)
    - I never nickname my Pokemon.
    - I typically save my game in a Pokemon Center.
    - I save my Rare Candies for IV checking. (Yes, I'm that kind of person =P)
    - I fight every trainer on a route before going to the next route.
    - I fight every trainer in a gym; if a gym allows me to skip a trainer if I get a quiz question right, I purposely get it wrong.
    - I visit every building and talk to every NPC when I first visit an area.
    - If I want a certain Pokemon on my team, I try to aim for one with a gender that fits it best.
    - My Water Pokemon typically knows Surf and Ice Beam.
    - My Fire Pokemon typically knows Flamethrower.
    - My Electric Pokemon typically knows Thunderbolt. (Galvantula was the rare case where it knew Thunder instead)
    - My team usually has a regional bird Pokemon for flight purposes.
    - If there's a legendary or event Pokemon that I can't seem to catch, I keep resetting the game until I catch it. (I wonder if there are people out there who don't reset the game when they fail to catch a legendary...)
    - I save my Master Ball for the hardest legendaries.
    - Since Gen IV, I've saved my Nuggets as trade fodder for GTS as an extra incentive to trade for my Pokemon.
    - I never ask for unreasonable trades in GTS; I've never requested anything above Level 50, and I try to make fair trade requests (i.e. your starter for my starter, your legendary for my legendary + my held item, etc.).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2016
    Always play as male
    Always choose a water starter
    Always hatch pokemon in the prettiest place :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2013
    Play as a female
    Use my real name
    Always choose a water starter (Except in Pokemon Heartgold. I have Typhlosion.)
    Save my rare candys
    All male team
    Capture legendaries after beating the game.

Years
  • My traditions consist of the following:
    Grab the Fire Starter.
    Talk to everyone in the town or village for valuable info and awesome freebies.
    Have a ghost in my team (I love me ghosties).
    Have a cat in my team.
    Give my Pokemons strange and vulgar names.

That about rounds it out for my traditions.

Back