• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Person denied chance to become a cop - Because he scored to high on a IQ test

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Have you ever met a cop and quickly realized that this person was a complete dumbass?

It's a popular belief that cops are idiots - And it's also a belief that people who believe this are idiots themselves.

Whats ironic is that the people who think cops are idiots are partially correct - Their is some truth in saying cops are idiots.

Case in point, a person was denied the chance to become a cop for one reason. What is this reason you ask? If your thinking health issues or past criminal background, your wrong. The reason he was denied the chance to become a cop was because he scored to high on a IQ test.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UYPz1D7wv1t

I can't find the original story about this though - Just the one with the courts saying that they were allowed to deny him the job because of his high scores.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
IQ is very affected by how you live your life. People's IQs change throughout their lives; and this wasn't even an official IQ test, so you can't even guarantee it was accurate about base "intelligence" and not about what you've learned throughout your life. Edit: for example, I took a test to get into Mensa that was meant to simulate an IQ test; one of the sections was vocab. Vocab has nothing to do with intelligence, it has to do with what you've learned.

Their argument makes perfect sense to me. When my mom got laid off from her job, went back to school, and then tried to apply for entry-level positions, she got rejected multiple times because she was overqualified. They didn't want to be used as a stepping stone to a better job, and they were afraid that she would quit as soon as she got a better offer.

The bigger question of police officers is the personality that draws a person to the job, not their intelligence levels. I don't care if the police officer has an IQ of 150 if he wanted to become a cop to get power over others.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
Years
Dumbass cops are VERY, VERY common over here in Mexico. Not to mention how the majority are plain corrupt.

Anyway, I've always been thinking "what kind of procedures or tests do they go through? Do they forbid smart people from becoming a cop, or something?" I never thought it actually happened somewhere in the world. I expected it here... but actually denying someone that chance because of his high IQ? I don't know what the courts were thinking. I personally think that the "it's because they might get bored quickly" excuse is just pure crap.

Years
Well, a lot cops in my country aren't really intelligent as well, but I've never heard of this situation before, not in my country too.

Years
Being that the party in regards to this case is was done so based on his intelligence, given that intelligent people as a group have not overcome any significant adversities in light of discrimination or civil liberties, the Equal Protection Clause must apply using the rational basis test. The rational basis test states that a law or policy can be established as long as it has a legitimate state purpose; the right for an intelligent person to be a policy officer is therefore irrelevant to the law.

Thus, the question remains, does the law/policy serves a rational state purpose. If the state can effectively show that it does, then the law/policy is constitutional.

Back