• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Me Let Dragonite Sweep

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    So I built this team around Dragonite, and it's more or less just a bunch of Pokemon slapped together on a team one after another. I put each Pokemon on the team based on role instead of coverage and well.. It's worked out all right but I want to see improvement.

The team:

490.png

Modest @ Air Balloon
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Flamethrower
    Earth Power
    Hidden Power Ice
    Stealth Rocks

I lead with Heatran and set up stealth rocks on the first turn. Then I usually jsut switch it out and back in depending on when I need it. I opted for Flamethrower over Fire Blast because the latter has done me more harm than good. Earth Power and HP Ice for decent coverage.

212.png

Adamant @ Leftovers
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Brick Break
    Bug Bite

The revenge killer and potent sweeper after a SD. I opted Bug Bite over U-Turn because the latter makes it relatively pointless to use Swords Dance. Bullet Punch for priority and Brick Break for coverage.

121.png

Timid @ Leftovers
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Rapid Spin
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Starmie is a great partner for Dragonite. I usually put Starmie in the turn before I switch to Dragonite. The reason for this is that entry hazards are not friendly to the big dragon. Starmie has the ability to get rid of them. Not only that, but it resists Dragonite's greatest weakness in ice. That and the fact that if and when the opponent tries to target Starmie's weaknesses, Dragonite can come in and completely wall the hit either by resistance or through multiscale.

149.png

Adamant @ Lum Berry
    20 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 216 Spe
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw
    Roost
    Fire Punch

The reason I'm trying to create this team. It's a pure monster after a DD or two and with SR support, it can KO a majority of teams by itself. I'm using a custom set to provide more bulk while still keeping the firepower. I'm not too worried about outspeeding scarfed pokemon and with it's bulk and multiscale, it can usually tank a hit anyways. I might replace Roost with Earthquake and switch Lum Berry with Leftovers. Problem is that people love trying to status Dragonite and with Lum Berry, I can get away with one. Thoughts?

453.png

Modest @ Life Orb
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nasty Plot
    Aura Sphere
    Dark Pulse
    Vacuum Wave

I needed a special sweeper and the 5th generation has been very kind to Lucario with NP. Aura Sphere get's STAB, Dark Pulse for coverage, Vacuum Wave for priority/revenge.

376.png

Jolly @ Life Orb
    52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
    Agility
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch

For this final spot, I pretty much just threw someone in that I thought would be a nice partner for Dragonite and Metagross fit the bill as it could take attacks Dragonite was weak towards. I usually just try to scare off opposing Pokemon and Agility up and sweep from there with Metagross, not much else to add. Meteor Mash for mandatory STAB and potential +1 in attack, Earthquake for coverage, Ice Punch for dragons.

So there you have it. It's worked decently but I think that's more along the lines of the opponents I've been fighting being terrible. I've been trying to find someone to absorb electric attacks but haven't found one I like yet. And as you will probably say, I know this team has terrible coverage, which is why I've come to you guys. Having 4 steel types doesn't help either.. Help?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    With the EVs you're going with, Scizor is probably better off with Life Orb, since otherwise you can't 2HKO Ferrothorn (I think w/o LO, but since you run Brick Break I'm assuming not, since Superpower needs one SD anyway). But yeah, leftovers is suited for the bulkier varients and with Technician plus lots of power, Scizor is really amazing. tbh I used Superpower on Scizor and switched out or SD'd again and it still really hurt the opponent, so it can work, but if you prefer setting up perhaps more that's fine too.

I think to help out Dragonite, screens could really be useful for you. I'd suggest Latias, but that makes you further weak to ice and you don't really want to be switching into a steel type all the time. Soo, I suggest maybe replacing Metagross with Bronzong? It can set up dual screens, allowing Dragonite to get that extra defence for a bit, allowing it to set up, making it unstoppable, resists Dragonite's ice beam weakness like Metagross, and while it doesn't have ice type attacks, it can still do its job, stay in for a little longer to gyro ball or EQ and then switch out (plus levitate so no ground weakness!). While Hypnosis is mentioned in this set, I think with its accuracy you could be better off with EQ.

Either way the set being,

Bronzong @ Light Clay
    Relaxed
    252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
    Levitate
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake

That's about all I can think of right now, though. Good luck!

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Hmm.. I'll try that out, thanks. I'm also thinking of putting Landorus in to absorb Electric attacks? The thing is that 4x weakness to ice..

Back