• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
Years
I always call myself Nai in any pokemon game. As for my rival, well, better not mention it here XD (It´s foul anyway)

Years
Same as Talli.
I named my charater Ash and my Rival Gary

Same as Talli.
I named my charater Ash and my Rival Gary

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
When i first got my copy of Pokemon Yellow, i was a 5 year old kid. Obviously, i had to name my protah Ash and my Rival Gary, no doubt!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I called them Ash and Gary since it was based more on the anime. Besides, I was already calling them that in Red because I didn't know back then that the games are supposed to be a separate universe from the anime.

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 18, 2014
Apparently a lot of people have done this too, but I named Red after me and my rival after my brother, even though I'm a girl so it was a Red with a girl's name, hehe

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
I named my rival in Gold/Crystal ???. I mean, the game said his name was ???, so I'll go with ???.

cmon, ??? is an awesome name.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
I named the trainer Cecil (after Final Fantasy IV's Cecil Harvey) and my rival Zemus (after the true enemy).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 20, 2014
I'd always go with my own name, Matt, as the hero's name and then the rival would always be Gary. :P

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 26, 2021
Gary, it was the typical, and had not much imagination name at that time xD

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Oh man, many different names haha. I normally would name it my brother's name when I was younger, so Daniel. Or I would name it my best friend's name, Chance. The last time I played, I named him Rico for some strange reason. xp

Years
Normally, I named him after myself and the rival after my brother. However, one run I went completely canon and named the player Red and the rival Gary. I also tried catching various Pokemon that Ash did in the Kanto anime, and it was a fun little way to play through the old generation. n__n;

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 13, 2014
Well I just got the game yesterday, and I named myself Ash and my rival Gary, because it loosely follows the anime.

I'd name mine either ass, pinhead, bigbutt, or loser. Sorry. I know those names are funny (if you have my sense of humor). He was my rival so I thought I'd treat him as the enemy outright.

Back