• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • Misheard Whisper, all right you got me there. D:

Astinus, don't worry, that's why I don't reply to bold topics all the time either- my responses are eh. Heck, half the time I mention NE and no one here read it yet. D: I try to be active as much here as possible but it's hard if you only have a few people doing the conversation and not everyone else is able to join, like mentioning how you got friends with Citty by reviewing D:

Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding language etc.
    When I was doing the reviews for the Heart and Soul contest at Serebii, I just basically mention the good things I like about it and what needs work. I tend to mention things like canon, characters, content, and writing style the writer is using. For the SWC contest, I remember I have to go through grammar, other elements of writing (plot, characters, description), and how well it fits to the theme of the story. On my regular reviews though, I tend to say things about the plot of the chapter, characters, and description since those areas I can explain well and give advice if I found something wrong.

As for the keyboard question...I'm not even sure what a Dvorak keyboard is, so...the other keyboard for me. XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • This is a Dvorak Keyboard. It's designed for faster typing, I guess. I've never used one. I use an ergonomic QWERTY keyboard from Microsoft right now. And it's cool. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, when I was in Monaco, I used Dvorak keyboard... man that was confusing, I continually spelled things wrong, and decided to hell with it, and type as close to english as I could, without having to correct every other mistake, so the email I sent out was probably readable, but cringe worthy.

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
    Years
  • Reviews can make you friends if you do them properly and with less snark(no offense to anyone offended,).

Well that's very true. Maybe I'm just lazy and use my wish to not offend anyone as an excuse. =D Lol.

EDIT: A honest reviewer is a good reviewer and can make you friends. A jerk review (ex. your story is the worst in existence, go die in a fire) can make an enemy. XD

Well I've never given a jerk review so I guess I'm in the clear. Lol.

Who here uses/wants to use a Dvorak keyboard for typing?
    I for one am glad with my QWERTY keyboard. The Dvorak keyboard discriminates against people who are left-handed and they're hard to find.

If I were so inclined to get one, I wonder what it would be like to find a laptop with a Dvorak keyboard XD

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2015
    Dvorak keyboard? Probably slightly racist here, but Dvorak sounds rather Russian. Dvorak, comrade!

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2015
    Czech (wierd spelling, you know. We call it Tjeckien in Sweden) keyboard? Sounds awesome, I gotta search for a pic of it! :D
    EDIT: Heh, it has BMW next to each other! XD Go Bayerish Motor Werke!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Anyone heard about this NaNoWriMo contest thing? Utterly hilarious.
    Nice to see you're here. Welcome. XD

I know that two people are doing it this year. An-Chan and Whisper seem to be competing with each other. I for one, am going to participate next year on the sole reason that I need a jolt to get me to write.

I'm too busy this year so I set aside a plot.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Nice to see you're here. Welcome. XD
    I've been away from PC for several weeks. Just didn't want to bother, though I decided to stop by. Not much to offer, but I did post one of the articles I wrote over in Pokemon General.

I find this contest amusing for how they choose to describe themselves. Their own About has this to say:

"Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down."

NaNoWriMo: fostering a new generation of hacks, one LCD contest at a time (No offense to An-chan or Whisper, though. I know you're both capable, but the site suggests being a novelist doesn't require real work)

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Correction: the site suggests writing a first draft doesn't require 'real work', as you put it. Baty is of the opinion (that I share) that it's much easier to come out with a good book if you write a nice, crappy first draft to begin with.

It's like building a house. You're gonna lay the foundations (outline) and make a framework (first draft) before building, right? They won't do you any good if you want to live in the house (publish it), but from there on you can put in bricks, wood, insulation, cockroaches (I swear they come default with my house :/), or whatever (EDITXORZ)

Or you can go ahead and build the bedroom from the ground up first before doing anything else (ie being a perfectionist and trying to get each chapter perfect before moving on to the next). Yay, you have a very nice bedroom (Chapter One), but nothing else. Then you lose the thread of the story, because you've spent so much time on the bedroom that you've lost the blueprints, so to speak.

>:/

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • NaNoWriMo: fostering a new generation of hacks, one LCD contest at a time (No offense to An-chan or Whisper, though. I know you're both capable, but the site suggests being a novelist doesn't require real work)
    No offense of course because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel that the contests helps to dispel procrastination. Sure it might create hacks, but then again these hacks don't procrastinate do they? XD

It all boils down to creativity and output. When you're done, revise the story and publish it. Yes I know how hard it is to publish a book. But still, how many times has anyone ever felt like writing a novel but kept putting it off. I know I have. XD

Still, a little motivation goes a long way...

EDIT: Wut, wut, ninja'ed by Whisper? How can this be?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Yes, ninja'd. And me eating a sundae while typing, too. Not to mention coming up with a ridiculous extended metaphor to prove my point. XD

That's also a valid point. If you worry about details, you'll never get started.

Ooh, my new desktop is this:
    Spoiler:
    XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    No offense of course because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel that the contests helps to dispel procrastination. Sure it might create hacks, but then again these hacks don't procrastinate do they? XD
    Haha. Good point. I'm the worst at actually getting pencil to paper, though I've got grand mythos in my head... I just want to share them with you guys before it's too late.

I think the contest is a wonderful thing, and really does give people the confidence to just do it. Once you've got it down once, getting it better and better should be no problem. But they seem to take that mentality too far, and don't even bother with saying that true work and honing is required. Just check out the Why bullet of their About section:

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

Yeah. I'm really going to mock J.R.R Tolkein for spending over 30 years of his life for creating one of the greatest pieces of literature ever rather than pumping it out in 30 days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back