• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Region of Hoenn

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, we've seen the introduction of a new Region known as "Hoenn." It offered approximately 50 different locations (including routes, towns, and cities), which were all unique in their own way. What are your opinion on this region? Do you like it, or dislike it? If you don't like it, why not? Of all places you've explored here, which would be your most favorite?

Years
  • I don't think any Pokemon fan who knows a little about the franchise needs introduction on what Hoenn is, especially in a Gen 3 board, just saying.

But I liked the variety of climate that Hoenn brought, from seemingly perennial rain, desert, and even ash soots falling from the sky. I'd love to see these effects in 3D if RSE remakes ever came to fruition.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    This region was better and was better depicted than the last two because of the jump in graphics, I suppose. I liked the various sea routes and the small patch of desert land, a treehouse village and even the underwater city. It brought along a cool niche that every town and city is different on its own, which was lost in the fourth generation in my opinion. I also liked the layout of certain places, mostly the sea routes. I really liked Ever Grande city, which, in my opinion, was totally rushed. The theme over there is a 'palace' of lush greenery and home to the Pokémon league. It stands on top of a majestic waterfall, symbolising beauty through its flowers. Unfortunately, all that there is over there is a Pokémon Center, the Victory Road and the Pokémon League. If I were the one influencing the remakes, I'll tell the developers to grow a backbone and expand the city to its true potential.

Years
  • Unlike the previous two regions, Hoenn brought a great amount of variety, both in its towns and its routes. Sure, Kanto and Johto were limited by the technology of the time, but Hoenn felt so much brighter and open than the other two, and it definitely had a more natural feel.

Places like Sootopolis, Fortree and Pacifidlog really brought some character to the region, and showed us that towns other than the standard buildings and Pokemon centers could work if designed well. I also loved the underwater areas featured throughout the region, since it was always fun to go searching for hidden items, secret areas, and Pokemon that only lived on the seafloor. That's one of the features I missed from future games, and I really wish they would've expanded on it, as it was nice to ride your Pokemon at the bottom of the ocean, even if it wasn't completely realistic.

I'm not the first to say this, and I definitely won't be the last, but bring on the remakes! I'd love to see the region re-imagined in 3D, especially places like Fortree and the Sky Pillar.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Personally i really enjoyed the region of Hoenn. It had a lot more variety than the previous regions, and i loved how its main theme was nature and the different kinds of ecosystems. Previously, there were only cities, towns and a few caves and mountains. Hoenn introduced deserts, volcanoes, a stormy swamp-like region, underwater ruins...you could really tell the difference and you knew where you were just by the nature around you and the weather condition you encountered. I also really liked how every town/city was inspired by the nature sourrounding it, like Lavaridge with its thermal baths and Fortree and its tree houses. If we ever get a remake on the 3ds, i cant wait to see thse places in glorious 3d graphics!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Best Region hands down, it's just so diverse and has so much to offer. All the Cities, Routes etc are beautiful and it's just really fun to travel through IMO.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • What I loved about Hoenn was the diversity between each twon. For example, Rustboro looks way differnet from Mossdeep. There was an underlying theme for this region: Tropical and oceanic with plenty of different landforms. A good idea, though I did not like all the Surfing and backtracking that went on in the actual games.

My favorite region overall.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I love Hoenn.. The diversity, the water routes, the dessert, the volcano, the swamp, the sunken ship, the normal routes and even the caves.. In my opinion, Hoenn IS what made gen 3 good. The story was good and all, but Hoenn just made it even better. It's definitely my favorite region and it will stay that way. :D

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I loved it! It had a lot more islands and different types of locations making it a lot better than the others! Fortree city was awesome with the tree houses as well as Sootpolis and the other island towns. I just felt like this whole entire generation had a lot more content making it awesome.

Years
  • What I like about Hoenn? The variety of Extra places you can find - Like Sky Pillar, The fact that towns are not same copy-pasted place but they look different from one another, I love battle tent's and contest hall's designs, I love everything about it! I also love the team aqua/magma hideouts since they are something original and different ^^

RemixinROMulus

Crit happens...
    Years
  • Hoenn has to be my favorite region. It's more beautiful than any of the others. Sinnoh comes close, though. (I haven't seen Kalos that much, so I don't know what it looks like.) Route 119 is my favorite route in Pokemon.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Well, I've only played Hoenn one time and never really spent time just exploring it, but I have to say it has a lot of water. I mean A LOT. Not really a good thing in my opinion. That said, I do think that the Hoenn Region is pretty well made. The water thing is mroe personal preference than anything else, I mean come on, my favorite region has the least water of any of them, haha (Unova). One thing that I really liked was Evergrande City, which is a pretty different way of presenting Victory Road and the Pokemon League. It really gives you the sense of awe that the end of a game should have.

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    One of my favorite things about Hoenn was the variety of climates. Especially as a young kid, that was really cool and interesting. The tiny details on falling ash, the wetness of the ground when it was raining and the sheer heat of the desert are details that I really appreciate.

I think the towns are fantastic as well, my favorites are Fortree and Pacifidlog- I love offbeat towns like that in Pokemon.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Hoenn felt like a giant jungle of possibilities and opportunities to explore. :) I think one of Hoenn's strongest points was its theme of nature and habitats. All the towns and even the big cities fit nicely with the theme, and everywhere you go is always a new adventure. Hoenn had lots of unique cities and towns too! My favorite has to be Fortree, Lavaridge and Lilycove -- the first one being a city on trees, the second one a town near a volcano and the third is a natural flow between the land and the sea. Although, I have a soft spot to the first three towns: Petalburg, Oldale and Littleroot. These three towns for some reason always make me smile and yeaahh. :3 Another thing of Hoenn that made it wonderful was the music! To me, memorable music in a video game gives extra plus points. I loved the music. First off is the music in the earlier routes, the calming and peaceful music. However, as you enter Slateport and the road above it, the energetic vibe (trumpets!) really comes in and signals you that the real adventure is just beginning. Finally, we have the overall charm Hoenn brings into it. While the water does annoy me a bit, it's not enough for me to fall out of love with Hoenn. There's probably a little bias here since Hoenn was my childhood region but seriously, Hoenn is great.

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
  • The graphics are great, IMO. They're simplistic, but just the right amount of simplicity. I love hoenn because of it's looks.

Sinnoh was my childhood region. Hoenn came later, but I still love Hoenn much more. Diamond, pearl, and platinum is a pain to look at, and to listen to.

Years
  • As many said before, Hoenn is so exuberant that for me is the best region. I do like the water, I mean I got to that boat I bypassed at the start of the game with so much emotion, those unerwater ruins and the mysteries they held and I loved the little islands and getting lost in the middle of pure blue pixels trying to ind my way to..somewhere. Ahh Hoenn it will always have a place in my heart. Oh and the music, the music is just great.

Back