• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whats The Key to wining a battle?

What is the key to wining a battle

• Total voters
Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    Well, I think there is no key to winning a battle due to the amount of variations.

I mean when going against wild Pok?mon you can battle them not too smartly as often there too stupid to know to use there type advantage or constantly use Stat effecting moves allowing you to just be on the offensive. But when you are going against Gym Leader/Elite Four and Trainers you have to have more strategy as the A.I. is better. And finally when going against people in real life you really have to battle strategically as they are too unless of course you manage to battle a novice.

So I will say there is no set way plus when going again Pok?mon in general alot of variation of what you do differs, like for instant if you were going against a Grass type with a Fire type you obviously want to use your Fire types special attack for its type advantage but say you were going against a Rock type with say a Combusken then you obviously wouldn't use your special attacks and use a normal attack of its like one of its Fighting type moves to pummel your opponent. Now though the examples suggest Attacks and Special Attacks are the way to go that isn't necessarily always the case like when going against Gym Leaders/Elite 4 or real people as you may wanna use Status effecting moves like Sleep Powder to beat your opponent more easily as you have to worry about them using more strategy than wild Pok?mon.

All in all I feel there is too much variety to go with just one sort of strategy but if I had to pick one it be Accuracy so at least your guaranteed whatever moves you decide to use in any situation will hit on target whether it be Attacks and Special Attacks or Status effecting moves and so on.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The Key to winning a battle differs with each challenger you face. Since I battle with mainly Rock/Steel type pokemon, I always stick to a common gameplan which is a mix of Speed and Attack hard and strong then some occasional defense.

Crobat - Speed
    Then the Rock and Steel types do the attacking.

Last edited:

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    High defences take care of sweepers and since Counter is a fairly common move among Pok?mon with high defense they totally pwn sweepers. And Mirror Coat is a fairly common move among water types which usually have high defense stats, meaning they can kick any spec.sweeper's butt =P But, of course Pok?mon with either one or both attack(s) and defence(s) above average. Steelix is a great example of a Pok?mon like this. It doesn't need speed or a countering move to win against physical sweepers.

But at the end, it's the best combination of defensive and offensive Pok?mon that pwns. Because there are allways sweepers that can take care of defensive Pok?mon and always defensive Pok?mon that can take care of that sweeper. Defensive Pok?mon are the ones I like the most though =D

Barrysun

Team Rocket hater!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2006
    Accuracy is always the key for me in battle. even a powerful attack like Thunder, Blizzard, and fire blast are worthless when they missed and their weaker but better accuracy versions, thunderbolt, ice beam, and flamethrower does good damage and also have better PPs.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

NONE of the above.

The key to winning a battle will always be prediction. If you know what your opponent will do, then you can effectively counter it and put yourself at an advantage. Sometimes you may mispredict though, but good prediction is gained through battle experience and will always help out in a pinch.
    A good team also helps a lot, with a fair balance of defensive and offensive Pokemon.

I?m talking mainly about battling real people, like through link battle or Netbattle. But if you have good prediction skills and a good team, then in-game battles will be a piece of cake.

♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • aragornbird said:
    ♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

NONE of the above.

The key to winning a battle will always be prediction. If you know what your opponent will do, then you can effectively counter it and put yourself at an advantage. Sometimes you may mispredict though, but good prediction is gained through battle experience and will always help out in a pinch.
    A good team also helps a lot, with a fair balance of defensive and offensive Pokemon.

I?m talking mainly about battling real people, like through link battle or Netbattle. But if you have good prediction skills and a good team, then in-game battles will be a piece of cake.

♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

I agree with that. Prediction works wonders, but the problem is, there's no prediction that helps against stupidity and luck. Making it a bit of a waste of time against ingame A.I.s or less experienced Net/Link battlers. But yeah, a good mix of offence and defense is the best. Personally I like my teams to have at least one CB Sweeper (For dealing out heavy damage), one special, one physical (And preferably also one mixed) Sponge/Wall (To soak up my opponents' attacks), and at least one hazer/phazer to take care of buffers. Mirror Coat and Counter are loads of fun too, as are status inflicting moves, especially Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave. ^-^

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Luck.

When I'm lucky, a move will hit a Pokemon which has done 6 DT's.
    When I'm not, a single Sheer Cold can take my Pokemon out (even if it has raised evasion).

So I guess it all comes down to this.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    NONE of the above.

I'm talking mainly about battling real people, like through link battle or Netbattle. But if you have good prediction skills and a good team, then in-game battles will be a piece of cake.
    *bangs his head against the wall* yes of course, how could I forget about prediction? But it takes a lot of experience and you also have to know if your opponent is

1) A begginer - Predicting rarely works against begginers, because their moves are usually completely random -_-
    2) An average battler - predicting works very well against average battlers, they might know the basics about evs and moves, but they still need to learn how to use the Pok?mon
    3) A good battler- Predicting what good players do is actually pretty hard, but once you battle enough of these, you'll learn how most good players battle
    4) A predictor - These require very much experience, because you need to plan everything ahead. You need to know how he/she probaly will try to predict what you're doing, so only counter prediction works against these, in other words, you'll have to predict what the oponent is going to predict and hope you switch the right Pok?mon in.
    5) A counter predictor - Battling against a counter predictor is a pain in the neck... I hope I don't need to explain why -_-

Prediction doesn't work in game though. The ai uses completely random moves, but in-game you don't need strategy anyway, so...

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
  • It really depends on strength of the opponent.For me however,it's with attack power.It's handy to have a high defense stat though,especially if you're facing a Pokemon with a higher advantage over you.

Back