• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meat in the Pokemon (or why there is a Normal-type)

How does my theory sound?

• Dindt understand a thing (too many words)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
First of all I know that there are some threads about this Topic.
Still there is no real answer what the main meat source around is.
And before that I asked myself what makes a normal typed pokemon "normal"?
Is it just because it hasnt got the same characteristic as the other Types?
I had a Persian with watergun and Thunderbolt in Gen1, so that couldnt be it
The effect of normal types could be argued but not the type of pokemon itself.
It even got more confusing when we had Girafarig, bibarel, deerling and sawsbuck.

You probably ask right now: "What does that have to do with eating Meat?"

The reason I want to point this out is that I noticed that many Normal types have edible Real world counterparts
(Tauros, Miltank, Pidove and buneary for those who like wild meat. And dont get me started on countries that eat dog or cat meat)
So something started in my mind and I thought:
Generally you can eat anything right? But can you truly eat your pet? Your Partner in Fighting?
The answer is yes, but there might be a situation we didnt consider.

The Pokemonworld is post-apocalyptic.
Yes you read right.
I am claiming that the world our heroes and PCs live in is after a great destruction, caused perhaps by the creation of Arceus and other Legendary Pokemon which where used in an all out war.
All normal animals died and Humanity was thrown back to the stone age.
No animal was öleft and myths about pokemon creating lands, filling the sea and so on were born.
It isnt far fetched to think that for a certain time some pokemon were hunted down so that we can be fed (which might have spawned tradition to be thankful for eaten pokemon)
2000 years or more might have passed since then and the civilisation has recovered.
But...what if genetical research was saved up? What if the knowledge was recovered from millenia?

Well honestly its a hypothetical question since every Gen I and Gen V player knows that those did spawn the cration of quite a few pokemon *cough*Mewtwo*cough*
What I wanna focus on is that there might be facilities that actually concentrate on CREATING our meat through genetical researches. Maybe somewhere hidden inside a mountain Mr. Pokemon checked if the eggs actually contained chicken and suddenly he found a pokemon egg (honestly why didnt anyone question the knowledge about eggs if there arent any animals that could lay them?
(How would you know an egg is an egg, if you never heard of a thing like that? Or actually ever seen one?)

My theory is that Genetical creation of artificial Real life animals that have no intelligence are used for food production, perhaps breeded on farms in more friendly enviroments. Pokemon however have taken over 99% of their habitats leaving only domestic animals in secure facilities.
But Normal-pokemons are actually failure of those, creations turning out to become pokemon with distinctive intelligence. But certain pokemon like miltank have still retained their distinctivbe features to supply us with food. Milk, eggs (not fertilized) and fruits.

So in my conclusion:
People and certain Carnivore/omnivore Pokemon maybe ate (and in case of certain pokemon maybe still do eat) other pokemon for survival back in the medival days or so until genetical research were reworked to create eadible chickens and pigs. So we shouldnt be scared about eating our friends and partners unless you find yourself in a country that has no such research.

Hope I dont sound crazy

Lokiepie

ooh...Cake!
Years
It's an interesting theory you have put forward, but after discussing this with my entire University house hold, we all agree that you must not forget that this is not our universe which has adapted after a world changing event.

The Pokémon universe is something completely different to ours. There were no ordinary animals such as cows, chickens and pigs. The matter is, it was a universe created for children, mirroring animals that they thought children would know.

When viewing the Pokémon world as "real" it would then be impossible to ignore the fact that Pokémon are indeed a major source of food, for both humans and pokemon, just like animals in our world.
Even in the anime there are many references which lead to the conclusion that pokemon are eaten and still are, it's simply not lingered on as not many people like to think of their food as alive before munching on it. I for one do not like to think of the chicken by KFC has come from :P

There are also pokemon ranchers, what do ranchers do? This profession is solely based on collecting animals, culling them and then selling on their meat. We may not like the idea, but it is one that is diffidently there, though ignored by most.

The idea of genetically copying an animal for the simple reason of slaughter makes no sense, too much money and effort for something which is already at their disposer.
That's a condensed and not very well explained version of the debate being held in my house but I hope this sorta helps :P (one house mate is now going through the pokedex deciding which ones he would eat and which one's he wouldn't :P disturbing :P)

please after this post do not hate, I am simply being realistic, I do not like the thought of eating cute pikachu as much as the next but it's what happens :P

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
*throw a Voltobal at your head*
Just kidding! Why should I be angry? I was more of dissapointed nobody answered. To be honest It took longer to write this, then thinking of it. (15 minutes in the shower)

And indeed it makes sense. Still I dunno if I actualy could survive this xD

Lokiepie

ooh...Cake!
Years
haha the hate comment was more towards the people who thought that i would want to eat pokemon hehe

and haha i don't think i could live with the fact of eating an animal the same type as one i keep as a pet either xD you arne't alone in that xD

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
Well I still would treat you to a Miltank burger, especially if it is whitneys. The ghastlys she probably has killed with the ability "Scrappy". I wonder if anyone ACTUALLY had one in their team.

Well since my theory was kicked the bucket anyway.
How come that most Normal pokemon are the ones that are made after domesticated animals?
Or rather most of them have edible RL-counterparts?
This was part of my theory anyway

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Because they're a reference to "normal animals" as opposed to Pokémon that can be, like, weird things haha? Over-simplified answer, but yeah. Although what RL animals are Clefairy & co, Jigglypuff & co, Chansey & co, Ditto, Porygon (I could go on) based on?? :P I mean, I know Chansey's loosely based on marsupials in general, but not a specific one. And Lourdred and Exploud aren't really animals either. Castform too. There's lots of them really haha.

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
Castform and Eevee are adaptable so theare out.
And porygon was actually a failed duck (at least according to my old idea that RL-animals are created to he eaten)

You could also assume that ditto is a failed Mew-clone
And Jigglypuff is resmbling a baloon and clefairy a rare phenomen in austria (at least to me since I once saw it), And also kangaskan is a marsupial.

I said Most were domesticated animal to be eaten

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
First of all I know that there are some threads about this Topic.
Still there is no real answer what the main meat source around is.
And before that I asked myself what makes a normal typed pokemon "normal"?
Is it just because it hasnt got the same characteristic as the other Types?
I had a Persian with watergun and Thunderbolt in Gen1, so that couldnt be it
The effect of normal types could be argued but not the type of pokemon itself.
It even got more confusing when we had Girafarig, bibarel, deerling and sawsbuck.

You probably ask right now: "What does that have to do with eating Meat?"

The reason I want to point this out is that I noticed that many Normal types have edible Real world counterparts
(Tauros, Miltank, Pidove and buneary for those who like wild meat. And dont get me started on countries that eat dog or cat meat)
So something started in my mind and I thought:
Generally you can eat anything right? But can you truly eat your pet? Your Partner in Fighting?
The answer is yes, but there might be a situation we didnt consider...
Where did you get the idea there is meat in pokemon world? I don't remember seeing anyone eat meat in anime or the games. There was an item called slowpoketail in one(or more) of the early games but you couldn't eat it. You would sell it for a high price. Maybe the people in pokemon world don't need to eat meat. It's a cartoon. Anything is possible.

Also, the idea of eating your pet or partner in fighting is ridiculous. Do you eat your pet dog you're looking after in your home or have you ever thought about it? Even in countries where eating a dog is ok, you wouldn't think of eating your pet. There are others in the shops to eat.

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
OOooohkay?
I did just suggest an ALTERNATIVE to eating Pokemon. Nothing to get angry and all >_>.

Back