• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gates to Infinity: Why so much hate?

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
Just curios, I wasn't sure. My guess was something to do with the limited Pokémon selection and the genwunning.

Years
Well, funny that you speak of it, considering there's a thread about the game here.

So i'll say, while there is a lot to like about GtI, there are a ton of nagging issues with the game that bog it down quite a bit.
-So few new Pokémon, as you already mentioned.
-People claiming the story was too short. Maybe it's just me but I never really felt that way, I feel it moved really slow, on the contrary.
-Not much post-game content.
-The slow text speed in cutscenes that can't be sped up.

Those are just some complaints that come to the top of my head that I think are worth mentioning.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I just finished the demo last night, and I'm seriously debating on buying the full game now lol. From what I played I enjoyed it. A bit too much dialog is my only complaint. I should note that this is the first time I've ever played a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, so I don't have the previous ones to compare it to.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I just finished the demo last night, and I'm seriously debating on buying the full game now lol. From what I played I enjoyed it. A bit too much dialog is my only complaint. I should note that this is the first time I've ever played a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, so I don't have the previous ones to compare it to.
I would recommend the previous PMD games, particularly Explorers of Sky and Red/Blue Rescue Team.

If you like to use emulators, you could download Desmume or NO$GBA to play Explorers of Sky and Blue Rescue Team, or download Visual Boy Advance and a Red Rescue Team ROM.

If you don't want to use emulators, you should just buy Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky.

Years
I think the game is fine in regards to the primary 5th gen selection, this is a gen V game. Though, pokemon like Jellicent, Liepard, Maractus, Unfezant, Sawk/Throh, Basculin, Darmatian, Maractus, Siglyph, Reuniclus, Escavalier, Ferrothorn, Eelektross, Beheeyem, Accelgor, Stunfisk, Heatmor, Boufalant, Durant were not included.

I will say aside from Jellicent, Liepard, Sawsbuck and Reuniclus, the other pokemon are a bit redundant or forgettable. These three pokemon were also excluded from Conquest. Why? I can see the other ones as they don't evolve and/or are not popular. (forgettable)

Also, some of the pokemon available from past generation were sort of random. I get pikachu and the eeveelutions, but Toxicroak, Dunsparce, Quagsire, and Purrugly? (I personally like Purrugly, but I know it's not a popular pokemon by any means.)

All together, there was just under 150 pokemon available, which is enough, but there could have been improvements made to the pokemon selected. Though, they did a good job at excluding some gen 5 pokemon that were not too popular aside from a few choices.

Anyway, the gameplay, graphics, and selection (for the most part) were done well. The thing that prevents me from picking up the 3ds and playing this game is the excruciating dialogue. It's just stupid. Not to mention long! Sure it's a kiddy Pokemon game, the dialogue will not be groundbreaking, but this is just awful and it's that much worse I have to sit there for upwards of 15 minutes pressing A, again, for an equivalent or less, 10-15 minutes of gameplay. I would have been fine with the simple storyline if it weren't so long.

Graphics: 9
Music: 7
Selection: 8
Battle Mech: 8
Storyline: 3

What otherwise could have been an 8.0 game (GREAT), the story-line drags this game to a 6.0-6.5. (OKAY)

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Compared to the previous PMDs, it was really, really bad. It didn't even meet the standards that the previous ones had set in every single category, except for maybe graphics.

I won't list everything that was wrong with GTI since I've basically done so in every PMD thread in this section. But the biggest problem for me was that it was JUST aimed at kids. I know, Pokemon is generally for kids, but just bear with me. The dialogue, the simple and short storyline itself, and wow, even the text speed all make this a kid's game imo. But the previous PMDs all had a more "mature" storyline that could be enjoyed by all ages - I played Red about five times as a child and then played it twice years later, enjoying it just as much. I could probably replay Gen 4 PMD a thousand times. GTI? I couldn't even finish. I wouldn't be so disappointed with GTI if the previous PMDs were also like GTI in terms of dialogue and storyline, but they weren't.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I played the demo, as a typical gamer, I presume it's the same as the full release except it ends after 2 dungeons.

But you get to pick what Pokémon you are?
They don't judge you like the mean people they should be. :l

It was a huuuuuuge turn off to me.

After that I just destroyed every pokemon I saw.
I was told I had to save everyone, which was like "Oh, Ok."

Kinda ruined the mystery as to why you're a pokemon...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
After that I just destroyed every pokemon I saw.
I was told I had to save everyone, which was like "Oh, Ok."

Kinda ruined the mystery as to why you're a pokemon...

For what it's worth, I actually thought this was the most interesting part of GTI's storyline. [Spoilers follow] I found the light part very interesting, and especially how they brought a lot of heroes - although it made me kinda sad since it made the hero "less important" in a way - it also made more sense since what if the hero in the previous games wasn't able to do it? I dunno. It was poorly executed, but I thought that it was kind of interesting. They should have touched upon it more in the game.

Shhmew

Years
Sit down kiddies and I will tell you everythingI don't like about Gates to Infinity. I feel very strongly about this, because Explorers of Sky was my favoritest game ever and when I saw the gorgeous 3D graphics for Gates to Infinity I was so very excited. I had very high hopes. High hopes that were crushed into the ground. ^,^ Sorry if this is a little negative, but hey, you asked.

Alrighty...

Spoiler:

TLDR: There was a lot of disappointments, but it's really only because original fans like me were completely spoiled by Explorers of Sky, and had high hopes for the next one being even better. So when the game didn't have nearly as much to offer as the game before it, it just kind of... leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. Of course it's a good game if you aren't expecting much, ESPECIALLY if you're just used to the mainstream games, but for those who held it to an Explorers of Sky standard..... it was just......... disappointing.

Well that was a lot of effort, hope that answers your question hehe. Of course, this is all just my opinion, but it also echoes things I've constantly heard among many many other players as well.

For those wondering if they should buy this game, I think it really depends on how much you're expecting. If you've never played a previous PMD game but want to try out Gates to Infinity (and you have moneys lying around), do it! In fact if you plan to play previous games, it might be best to start with Gates to Infinity, so you can get the most out of the experience. But either way, I definitely recommend you get your hands on the previous games as well, especially Explorers of Sky. ^__^ <3

KazukoHimura

"I guess I'm just a bit hungry..."
Years
I liked GtI (not as much as the previous PMD games), but I was bummed at the small Pokemon selection, like I'm sure most people were. That and it didn't have very much postgame.

Storyline wasn't as great as prior ones, but it made me cry more than the other 2 (probably because some of the friendship themes were so darn RELATEABLE at the time, as I was dealing with bullies on another site at the time I played through). Plus the fact that you gotta pay for the extra dungeons (more of an issue back when I first got it, as I had limited money, but that's a non-issue at this current time).

ChiKouu

Froslass Trainer
Years
I think that while it is a good game, it's nowhere close to the level of the other PMD games. Compared to the other games it's short, there's a pitifully small selection of available Pokémon, I don't like the fact that you chose the Pokémon you are, and the boss is just disappointing.
However the story is nice (I actually started to cry at the end), i at least did not see the plot-twist coming and the graphics are just amazing.
It would be great as a first PMD game, as you then have to experience with the rest of the series and thus can't compare them.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Now that I've played the full version of the game (I made it to the credits and am now doing the epilogue), I think I can give my take on why GTI has gotten criticism.

I love it because it's charming, the characters are all really memorable and full of personality, and I actually think the story was pretty well done. I think the biggest problems with the game are the pacing and the dialogue. A lot of the dialogue is really bloated and redundant. Everything is over-explained. While I'm scrolling through the dialogue I often find myself saying "Ok, we get the point!"

On top of that, the core gameplay of exploring dungeons is redundant. You just wander around mazes, running into a few bad guys occasionally until you finally reach the stairs. What's at the top of the stairs? The same thing ad nauseum. Thirteen floors later...

But I love the characters and the story so much that I'm willing to endure the tedium that makes up 95% of the game :)

Years
This was the first Mystery Dungeon title I played all the way through. Dabbled with Red Rescue Team but only played that for thirty minutes max.. so this is coming from someone with little experience on the MD series.

My main two gripes were that there were very few Pokemon to play as. The selection was absolutely awful in comparison to the choices you were given in the previous games. Then there's the text speed.. oh my gosh I dreaded replaying this game because the text went by super slowly and the cutscenes, for whatever reason, weren't skippable. Very bad move on the creators' part because some scenes took around ten minutes to complete so I ended up setting my 3DS aside and doing other things in the meantime, hah.

The characters were really full of personality though and I cried towards the end, I admit. Would've liked more characters in the towns to interact with as I felt the game had too many generic ones who said the same few lines when spoken to.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I'm only 6 hours into the game but right now there's only 2 things that are really bugging me about it. So far the story is a bit slow, but not slow enough to lose my interest. I'm sure I'll be reaching some sort of fugitive chapter here shortly.

1. Got rid of the hunger bar.
2. Can't multitask requests.
2 1/2. Victini is annoying as hell.

But those are minor gripes, overall I'm enjoying the game. Just need to find time too beat it now.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
1. Got rid of the hunger bar.
2. Can't multitask requests.
Wait... seriously?
ad 1: They removed the only part of the game that actually provided some challenge?
ad 2: We cannot do more than one request? Come on, tell me that's not true... doing 4 quests from one dungeon was awesome.

Okay... I kinda get the hate now.

Natsu Dragneel

Fire Dragon Slayer
Years
Few pokemon, Short game play.

Meh :| wish the next mystery dungeon isnt this bad (aka 721 mons recruitable and all)

Monophobia

Already Dead
Years
I turned it back in to GameStop the day after I got it. {XD} The hero selection was...eh. The story was too slow and it lost my interest. The whole Victini thing was annoying. Dungeon exploration felt...bland to me. And honestly, I just didn't see it worth my time. I could just replay Blue Rescue Team or Sky, since I have both in my collection. Much better games.

The only thing I liked was the graphics. Improved, certainly. However, I'm a nostalgic guy who likes the older graphics more.

Pillodox

Ruff
Years
The main hate is all the old class starters are gone, along with many pokemon from the previous games. But at least the questions at the start of the game are gone.

Back