• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does Butterfree weugh 70 lbs?

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I find it hard to believe Butterfree weighs that much unless someone has a good explanation.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
    Years
  • Just like the Pikachu that weighs like 30-40lbs...Never could understand that.......

How could a mouse weigh that much...Maybe most of them are over weight? IKD

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • They're probably really dense, like three-foot-tall flying balls of lead.

When you think about it in terms of height vs weight, it's not that bad. Butterfrees are surprisingly big. The REAL question is why is Furret almost six feet tall? It's got no business being that tall.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • That is a good question. How would something that heavy stay in the air with such a small wingspan (Mind you a lot of Pokémon are like that)

Probably somothing that was just overlooked

Whistler

Questioner
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2014
    Didn't you know? In the Pokemon world butter comes from dead Butterfree. Butterfree are filled with pounds of butter because they enjoy feasting on Miltanks. I thought everyone knew that... :|

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    And a Wailord weighs 877lbs while a similarly-sized sperm whale weighs at least 30,865lbs.
    The point is, Pokemon weights are always nonsensical and only serve as a way for some moves to determine their base power.

Pillowing

A dash of luck!
    Years
  • Pokemon heights and weights make absolutely no sense to me... When I'm trying to make up character concepts and stories I just fudge it a bit and make it up myself in real life comparison to animals. I just prefer it over the awkward guidelines the game designers put out there.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • And a Wailord weighs 877lbs while a similarly-sized sperm whale weighs at least 30,865lbs.
    The point is, Pokemon weights are always nonsensical and only serve as a way for some moves to determine their base power.
    This.

The truth is, I don't think anyone who works on these sort of statistics really pay much attention to how much a Pokémon is going to weigh or how big it might really be. They clearly make no sense, but they serve the purpose for moves that require a Pokémon's weight to determine its base power such as Low Kick and others alike.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Considering Butterfree are freaking huge compared to a butterfly anyway...

Personally, I think it's in the wings. If the wings have a sort of mass behind them, it's probably what allows them to kick up such powerful winds. Think about it. One really good, directed flap from a Butterfree probably has enough wind power to blow your hat off, kick up pollen or blow leaves around, and noticably shake the leaves in trees. Continuing that motion is what'll cause the cyclones.

Back