• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to Delink Maps (or How to Make the Right Map Appear In-Game)

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
  • This is another diegoisawesome tutorial.

How to Delink Maps

Ever had the problem where a map in A-Map looks fine, but in-game, it looks like some other map? Well, then, this is the tutorial for you.

1. Open up Free Space Finder.
    2. Get an offset.
    3. Write down that offset.

4. Open up A-Map.
    5. Go to the messed-up map.

6. Click on Header.
    7. Press Ctrl+H.
    8. Scroll down to the box that says Map footer.
    9. Copy that data.
    10. Close A-Map.
    11. Go to the offset from FSF in a hex-editor.
    12. Paste the stuff from the Map footer box into the offset.
    13. Save and exit the hex editor.
    14. Open up A-Map.
    15. Go to the messed-up map.

16. Click on Header.
    17. In the Map footer offset box, paste the new offset and click Save changes and reload map.
    18. Test it out!

Hope this helps a lot of people. :)
    diegoisawesome

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thanks diegoisawesome, I've always wondered why this happened and just started a fresh rom if i had this problem or used a different map. This has saved me quite a bit of trouble!

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • Umm...how would I paste the stuff into the offset? I use hex workshop and it won't let me paste the stuff in.

Xatoku

Game Developer
    Years
  • It seems like it's working, but when i save and exit the hex editor, the maps in amap's palette are all messed up. And when I try to play the rom, after the little Gamefreak intro, the screen goes black and won't start the rom. Any reason as to why this happens?

Back