• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team to play in Wi-Fi Battles/Tournaments

Years
  • Hello all, I am a fresh noob to these forums. Anyways, I am very ignorant when it comes to team building. I usually just pick who I want and go with the flow of battling. I am not the worst and not the best, I am looking to participate in the events that are offered on the GL and possibly score high enough. Also, I am looking to participate in community events or just casual Wi-Fi battles. I am pretty sure what Pokemon I would like to use, but not sure if they are the best and how well they can work together.

My first big question: Does it matter how many sweepers/tanks/walls I should have? I know I shouldn't have a team of all, but is it okay to have more than one? I know for the tournaments it is bring 6 pick 4.

If it were up to me, I'd bring 6 in and choose 1 Physical Sweeper, 1 Special Sweeper, a Mixed Wall, and maybe a Tank/Annoyer.

Anyways, I don't have a set strat, but I ususally pick Pokemon that I like to use and are "cool". As you can tell, I LOVE Arcanine. By far my favorite.

So my Pokemon Team would be as follows:

1.) Arcanine; Physical Sweeper (252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defence EV's)
    Moveset: Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Morning Sun, and Flare Blitz/Extremespeed/Crunch
    Nature: Adamant
    Held Item: Flame Plate?
    Ability: Intimidate

2.) Alakazam; Special Sweeper (252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP EV's)
    Moveset: Psychic, Recover, Focus Blast, Calm Mind/Shadow Ball
    Nature:Timid
    Held Item:Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard

3.) Milotic; Mixed Wall (252 HP, 128 Sp. Defence, 128 Defence, 2 Sp. Attack EV's)
    Moveset: Recover, Hydro Pump, Scald, Toxic/Aqua Ring
    Nature: Bold
    Held Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale

4.) Bronzong; Tank/Another Mixed Wall/Annoyer (252 Sp. Defence, 252 Defence EV's)
    Moveset: Explosion, Trick Room, Toxic, Confuse Ray/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    Held Item: Quick Claw/Shell Bell
    Ability: Levitate

I like using Arcanine physically because his base Attack is higher than his Sp. Attack. Alakazam obviously for his OU Sp. Attack and Speed, he is a devil on the battlefield. Milotic because she can take hits and still heal herself making her a headache. Bronzong can be another royal pain and can use Explosion to get a free rotation in. However, like I have been saying, I am not too sure how well these guys can work together.

As far as others I may want to switch around would be Kingdra, Gliscor, Salamence, Zoroark, Lucario, Arcanine as a Special Sweeper, Suicune, Cobalion, Braviary, and many others....

IV's for my team would hopefully as high as I can breed to and hopefully max out their respective EV'd stats.

Any positive criticism and feedback is greatly appreciated! (:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'll assume Gen V for this. Arcanine isn't that good in OU, but I'll let it slide, since it's your fave.

Arcanine gained coverage moves in the form of Wild Charge (as a stronger alternative to Thunder Fang) and Close Combat in Gen V, so it should take advantage of those:
    -Flare Blitz
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Wild Charge/Crunch
    -Close Combat/Morning Sun
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef/176 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

Alakazam is too defensively weak for Recover. It's better with Sub + 3 attacks or an all-out attacker set to make the most out of its high Special Attack and Speed:
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)/Substitute
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard

There's literally no reason for Milotic to use both Hydro Pump and Scald at once. It's better at defending than attacking as its stats imply. Aqua Ring isn't very useful either:
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover
    -Toxic/Dragon Tail/Haze
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale

Arcanine's and Alakazam's Speed stats are good, so using Trick Room Bronzong isn't a good idea. Ferrothorn makes a better wall because of its typing:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

If you want to keep Bronzong, be my guest, but it doesn't do well as it used to because of the power creep:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Gyro Ball
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Earthquake/Toxic
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate

Years
  • Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to include it when building it. As far as a replacement for Bronzong, I will try Ferrothorn and if I don't like him I'll either find another tank or add another sweeper.

Back