• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best Starter Pokemon

Which Starter is the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

macksstream

Charizard Champion
Years
  • Ok, well this is my first thread and I thought of an interesting idea and it wasn't an existing thread so I thought I might make it.

Which of the three Sinnoh starter Pokemon do you think is the best? Turtwig, Piplup or Chimchar?

Now you can judge this on a wide range of criteria including moveset, stats and final evolutions. There's pretty much no restrictions on that.

So basically I want you to vote on the poll and then say why you chose what you did, argue your case.

I'm going to start, and go with Piplup. It's the Pokemon I started with and although I don't like water Pokemon very much it was a great starter with a solid moveset and moveset potential. Also, even though it's evolved into Empoleon now, it could pretty much beat the Elite Four by itself on my first Pokemon League challenge. It's steel type also gives you a huge advantage over many other types, such as grass (which doesn't do super-effective damage). It only has 2 types which are super-effective against it too I think, which are Electric and Ground. So I found that Empoleon was the best of the Sinnoh Starters.

So post your replies please!

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • Chimchar is what I've used twice on Platinum and Diamond and Pearl. I personally like using Chimchar better then Piplup. I tried Piplup before and thought he was ok. Chimchar had good moves to start with while Piplup in my opinion didn't have that many good moves. I enjoyed Chimchar last form, Infernape.

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
  • I think it's gotta be Turtwig. Torterra has beastly stats in my opinion. I've never had any problems with him so far. I can always count on him to save me when I'm in a tight situation. I tried to use a Piplup, but I wasn't clicking with him very well. Once he was an Empoleon, he kept getting 1 hit KO's against EVERY electric type I put him up against. Maybe it was my training, or the fact that I didn't really like him once I started using him, I don't know. And I just find Chimchar overrated and annoying -_-

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The Piplup line for me. Empoleon can learn moves that damage Torterra and Infernape super effectively (Ice Beam or Drill Peck for the former; STAB Surf/Hydro Pump for the latter)

Sho7gun

IV Inquisitor
    Years
  • I've gone for Chimchar nearly ever time :) If I ever find myself in a pinch.....
    "GO! INFERNAPE!!!"
    "Infernape Uses Close Combat....."
    "The (insert pokemon here) fainted!"
    I only use Infernape where I can finish that opponents monster in one turn :)
    Especially Close Combat, Killer if you use it too early in a fight :(
    But yea.....Chimchar...good idea for a 1st thread ^^

Emotional Intelligence

You may call me "EI"
    Years
  • None. I usually dump it in PC Box 1 the first chance I get, but if I had to choose.. I'd go for the water types.. I chose Squirtle as a kid.

PokéGuru1

Professor Spruce.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2010
    None. Dump it ASAP. They are called 'starter' pokemon for a reason people? :/. Nobody seems to understand your only meant to use them for the START -_-.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Oh god...they're all so good....

Here's my in-depth analysis:

Spr_4p_392.png
    Spr_b_g4_392.png

#392 Infernape
    Fire/Fighting

- Whilst Torterra and Empoleon actually lose resistances, Infernape gains one (Rock).
    - Can be hit super-effectively by all other members of its' trio by STAB
    - It gets STAB super-effectiveness on both of the aforementioned evolutions (Fire > Torterra, Fighting > Empoleon).
    - Fastest of both its' types.
    - Highest BST out of Fighting pokemon.
    - One of the best wall-breakers left in OU.
    - Only one of Sinnoh starters vulnerable to Sandstorm.
    - Learns damaging attacks of: Normal, Fire, Fighting, Dark, Grass, Steel, Ground, Rock, Flying, Ghost, Poison, Bug, Electric (13 types)
    - Has identical typing to Blaziken.
    - Can learn attacks which hit super-effectively against the signature type of all 8 Sinnoh Gym Leaders and all 4 Sinnoh Elite Four.
    - Has the highest Base Stat Total (BST) of all Sinnoh starters.
    MDP392.png

Spr_4p_395.png
    Spr_b_g4_395.png

#395 Empoleon
    Water/Steel

- Is tied as the 4th most resistant pokemon of all.
    - Can be hit super-effectively by all other members of its' trio by STAB.
    - Has the highest Base SpA of all starters.
    - Tied 2nd slowest starter.
    - Empoleon and Prinplup are unique in the ability to learn both Pound and Tackle.
    - Learns damaging attacks of: Normal, Water, Flying, Steel, Ice, Ground, Fighting, Rock, Dark, Ghost, Grass, Bug (12 types)
    - Only pokemon resistant to both water and dragon.
    - It and Heatran are the only non-ice type pokemon with a double-resist to Ice.
    - Learns 7 HM moves, more than all other starters (not Fly).
    - Only steel-type starter.
    - It and Dialga are the only water-resisting steel-types.
    - One of 3 pokemon to get STAB Steel Wing.
    - Can hit all of the signature types of all 8 Sinnoh Gym Leaders and all 4 Sinnoh Elite Four super-effectively.
    MDP395.png

Spr_4h_389.png
    Spr_b_g4_389.png

#389 Torterra
    Grass/Ground

- Has a unique type combination
    - Has highest Base Def of all starters.
    - Has lowest Base Spe of all starters.
    - Can be hit super-effectively by both other members of its' trio (only Infernape uses STAB)
    - Has the same species name as Groudon (Continent Pokemon)
    - Evolves at the lowest level of all starters, tied with Feraligatr at lv.32
    - Only Sinnoh starter to learn a dragon-type move.
    - Learns damaging moves of: Grass, Normal, Dark, Ground, Steel, Rock, Fighting, Dragon (8 types)
    - Has the least varied movepool of all Sinnoh starters. However, it can still hit the signature types of all 4 Sinnoh Elite Four super-effectively.
    MDP389.png

So, whilst they are all brilliant (Infernape is probably the least imaginative, but I still love him), I would say Torterra probably loses out overall, and for that reason, I'm backing the underdog, Torterra.​

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • It's a tossup between Torterra and Infernape for me. This is odd because they have two distinctly different playstyles. XD

Torterra is very heavily defensive and is more suited for stall teams while Infernape is a glass cannon that finds himself on heavy sweeping teams. They're two of my favorite Sinnoh pokemon designwise, but I give the slight edge to Torterra because of my own affinity for stall teams. XD

None. Dump it ASAP. They are called 'starter' pokemon for a reason people? :/. Nobody seems to understand your only meant to use them for the START -_-.

orly? Is that why they're all designed to have amazing stats when fully evolved? XD

Last edited:
    Years
  • I actually haven't played this series of games yet. On my way to buy one today actually.
    Just thought I'd check out this thread to see which starter everyone thinks is the best. :P
    Although, personally, I prefer the fire starter myself.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • To me, the best starter is Piplup. Unlike either of its affiliates, it can take down both Roark and Gardenia without needing to evolve (Peck ftw). Also, Empoleon rapes Floatzel, Lumineon, Tentacruel, and every other Water-type you can catch prior to National in D/P/Pt. +Steel sub-type makes it resistant to pretty mch everything except Fire, Electric, Fighting, Grass and Ground as those types are either super-effective or deal neutral damage. Only downside is the possible "Unbeatable Rival Battle" when you first start (Barry has Turtwig use Withraw until it's so resistant to damage that you're begging for a critical hit.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2010
    Well i have played Diamond, Pearl and Platinum all with the different starters and i have to say that i think Turtwig. By the time that you evolve into Torterra and you have learnt Earthquake the only Pokemon that you can't beat are flying type Pokemon and even with that you can teach it moves that can beat them anyway. I did Pearl with Turtwig and i almost made it through the entire Pokemon League using Torterra only.

If someone is starting the game for the first time, torterra is the starter to choose

the :D

<- heracross ftw!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2012
    turtwig, grotle, torterra!

torterra is an epic win; he'll kick ass anywhere, seriously - in the end you have earthquake, frenzy plant, giga drain, and crunch. seriously, only like steel-flying or honchkrow can stand up to that.

the only problem with him is his special attack -- or rather, his lack of it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon for me. I don't know, I just feel like it is very steady with good defense while still being a hard hitter with decent speed. Very well rounded, which is what I like in a Pokemon.

123wert50

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Piplup definitly. Did I mention in SS, I have lvl. 100 of all of the third-form's of the starters. Not hacked either. BTW I bread a lot.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    I can't really choose. I find them all very useful in certain situations through the game. However, I would have to choose the Piplup line because of Empoleon's Water/Steel dual type. It renders Grass type moves in-effective, but the only disadvantage is that it lets Fire-pokémon have a chance to kill me as well.

But that's why we got Drill Peck and Hydro Pump, am I 'rite? And that Aqua Jet, I can't tell you how useful it is when your going for a quick KO against a Fire pokémon.

Also for those who dumps starter pokémon, I've only used my starter, no other pokémon and I've beat all the pokémon games really easy. Solo pokémon runs are just for the win!

ScentedLove

Hopeless Romantic
    Years
  • I'm going to say Chimchar because its one of the few fire types you can accquire in the beginning of the game, and its good agains't the first few gyms. Also its my personal favorite I have a shiny female one still in my pokemon platinum that I transferred to my pokemon soul silver.

Team Carbon Boss: Roran

Gonna quit this website.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    The seem to have equal support :)
    I despise torterra for it's bulkiness. It's SSSSOOOOOOO FREAKIN' SLOW!
    Piplup WONT LEARN ANY FREAKIN MOVES! everytime I start out with it, I end up starting over out of PURE FUSTRATION
    CHIMCHAR FTW

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back