• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can pokemon be improved?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
Well Sour made a good post in another thread about his opinion in some ways that pokemon can be improved. Such as more oriented on the story line. And better designs. Which I can agree with him on the most part but instead of going off topic in that thread where it's about if there's too many pokemon. I've decided to make a new thread for how pokemon can be improved. In my opinion Gen VI was a bit of a disaster, While I don't really mind the evolution of old pokemon. And a 4th stage of evolution I will not complain about. It is really the naming of those evolutions that got me. Mega (insert old pokemon name here) really does not impress me nor do god pokemon. Have you ever heard the phrase 'trying to hard'? That's what I think they're doing.

In my opinion they're so caught up with making new pokemon and even more legendary pokemon that they've kind of gone to far and finally went over the boundary to absolute silliness. If I were them with the release of new pokemon I would ask for opinions on ones that fans liked and did not like, that way future games wouldn't be riddled with pokemon nobody likes.

Anyways I want to hear your opinions on how pokemon can be improved :)

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
It would be a lot better if nintendo Deleted/Sued/tell apple to get those shiny/Max iv,Ev/max level maker apps on our mobile devices, I ALWAYS see shinies in competitive and it kinda kills the rarity of then.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I say they need to change up the story. Always going on about saving the world gets boring after 17 years. It would also be nice if they focused more on giving us post game content to have so we don't get bored.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
They need to explain the creating and evolution of Pokemon down to a grain of salt as a start. Simple task? No, but it's something I'm sure a lot of fans would really appreciate and enjoy if they did so. All we know is that Pokemon evolve at a certain level, stone, love, trade, etc. But why, or how? We also have no clue how the Pokemon world was formed, nor do we know this about our own planet but you get the gist of what I'm saying, they're just theories. We don't know what Pokemon created what or how the first Pokemon was created IF there was a first Pokemon. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but I think it would be very interesting to say the least.

And as I mentioned in my thread. I would love to see new Pokemon in new or non obvious areas like they always have. It just seems a little repetitive if you ask me. Put more life and thought into the region and designs as well. Make every game distinct on every level instead of copying the same ideas from the last one. Then to add something. I want a new gameplay other than the same basic ideal of bad vs evil. They just need to start fresh and think about developing a sequel that makes perfect sense.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I say they need to change up the story. Always going on about saving the world gets boring after 17 years. It would also be nice if they focused more on giving us post game content to have so we don't get bored.

And how would you change the story if not saving the world? Also what kind of post-game content are you thinking about?

They need to explain the creating and evolution of Pokemon down to a grain of salt as a start. Simple task? No, but it's something I'm sure a lot of fans would really appreciate and enjoy if they did so. All we know is that Pokemon evolve at a certain level, stone, love, trade, etc. But why, or how? We also have no clue how the Pokemon world was formed, nor do we know this about our own planet but you get the gist of what I'm saying, they're just theories. We don't know what Pokemon created what or how the first Pokemon was created IF there was a first Pokemon. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but I think it would be very interesting to say the least.

And as I mentioned in my thread. I would love to see new Pokemon in new or non obvious areas like they always have. It just seems a little repetitive if you ask me. Put more life and thought into the region and designs as well. Make every game distinct on every level instead of copying the same ideas from the last one. Then to add something. I want a new gameplay other than the same basic ideal of bad vs evil. They just need to start fresh and think about developing a sequel that makes perfect sense.

Yeah I have a pretty good storyline set up for the game I'm making it would quite a lot (at least for my game) evolutions well you've got me there, I'll have to try and think of a way to explain them. If only Charles Darwin was still alive... hint hint...

As for new pokemon let me tell you, I've been asking around for permissions from various artists and they are QUITE reluctant to give their fakemon away :(

As for new gameplay that isn't good vs evil, I've kind of got that in my storyline. Though my storyline is still in it's infancy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
What I'd like to see them do for once is have a main-series game without having any sort of legendaries or criminal organizations incorporated into the storyline. This has been done in every game that they have released so far, and would be pretty cool to see how a game would turn out without following the same, old formula. d: Aside from the that, I really don't have any idea how they could improve their games.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
What I'd like to see them do for once is have a main-series game without having any sort of legendaries or criminal organizations incorporated into the storyline. This has been done in every game that they have released so far, and would be pretty cool to see how a game would turn out without following the same, old formula. d:

I don't think that's the main formula IMHO. I believe that having to get 8 gym badges before entering the Pokemon League is the main formula for Pokemon. There should either be a different requirement of badges or that these type-based gyms should be replaced with trainer battles that specialize in a certain type of battle, like doubles or rotation. Considering the fairly wide range of battles we have in Gen. 6 that might be a possibility.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
And how would you change the story if not saving the world? Also what kind of post-game content are you thinking about?

I mean not having some sort of evil villain team. Every single game has had this so far. There are other ways to make bad guys. xD And getting 8 badges every gen (besides the second) gets old. I want a game where we can get more. That'd be fun. Doing the same thing over and over again just gets boring.

Post-game content wise, I want to be able to rebattle the leaders, actually have areas that you can only get to after the elite four (like in b/w), something like Join Avenue, contests, or the villa from the 4th gen.

They could have done so much with the 6th gen. But they decided to make it sooooo simple and boring. I was really disappointed with the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I don't think that's the main formula IMHO. I believe that having to get 8 gym badges before entering the Pokemon League is the main formula for Pokemon. There should either be a different requirement of badges or that these type-based gyms should be replaced with trainer battles that specialize in a certain type of battle, like doubles or rotation. Considering the fairly wide range of battles we have in Gen. 6 that might be a possibility.

Yes I have an idea to mix things up a bit as far as gyms and leagues are concerned. In fact the entire idea of a pokemon league I don't like. Seems a bit pointless. Gyms I like, but why not let them just be optional instead of forcing the person to play them? Makes it a lot more fun when you have your own say in a matter. I mean it's not to hard to think of a different scenario in order for someone to get past a certain area.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I don't think Pokemon need to improve on much in my view.
In fact I think Gen VI showed a lot of improvements and new features that are worth using like 'Mega' evolutions.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
No more HMs please! Instead, the quests that you would normally do before getting an HM should be mandatory. X and Y was a step in the right direction for simplicity of the game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
How about a pokeworld on the computer, an mmorpg? I'm an old school poke fan and I've been hoping for a world where all the pokemon regions would be on one map, since the 4th gen.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Maybe have 12 badges and the elite four at level 90. They could add something like, your first pokemon is stolen and as you retrieve it, your mother is kidnapped. At the end of the game you save her. Maybe they could add a grass flying starter, fire fairy starter, and a water ice starter.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
I think GameFreak really needs to make the Pokemon world more driven by user content.
GameFreak already strongly encourages a connection between the players through trading Pokemon. It seems to me that they want to encourage more bonds between the players beyond just the Pokemon. This is evident in the Trainer PR videos which serve no purpose other than to share with other players.

Generation III was a step in the right direction with the secret bases. You were able to take a small, but unique, piece of another player's gaming experience. Not only that, but you gained the ability to connect with your friends, to some degree, even when they weren't around (Something you could actually do in Generation II as well.) The Friend Safari is another great step in the right direction. It is an area that can only be unlocked through the help of other players. The weakness, however, lies in that the owners of the area have no control over the area. They can't design the landscape or pick the type the area will have. While you can't give players free reign over which Pokemon will appear there are ways to make it a more interactive experience.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Lately, I've been wanting more interaction with npc's in certain buildings. Take the cafe's in Lumiose for instance. Why can't I just sit down; take a break from all the walking/ skating/ biking and have a latte or order something (that doesn't boost stats or happiness) for my Pokemon, just for the heck of it? Like how they have the cafe for Froufrou and everyone has their Pokemon out, and you could talk to them. Why can't I?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'm fairly content with the gameplay and storylines. My suggestion has to do with the mechanical balance in battling. As evidenced by the tiers, battling (at least competitively) is not balanced at all. A certain crop of Pokemon always rise to the top. I wish players could be rewarded more for using their favorite Pokemon: have all the Pokemon be competitively viable, encouraging innovative teams and strategies and making the battling seen less monotonous. They've done a decent job in recent year introducing hidden abilities (Azumarill come to mind), and even the Mega Evos have played their part. But there are still those Pokemon that exist as "Never Used", and it's a bit sad.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 15, 2013
A Wii U "MMO" type game would be brilliant. Might be enough to get me back into the series.

Non-Legend

Forever Noob
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 8, 2013
I think Game Freak should create boundaries for the base stat value of the pokemon design. For example the total amount of their base stats can't exceed something like 400 and a single stat can't anymore than let's say as an example 150 since so many with those stats have popped up. As well as make it so that a pokemon needs to have at least so many points total so its actually usuable and not a waste of company resources. The pokemon would be a bit more balanced and there would be more focus on the mechanics such as type and move sets.

Story wise, if they're going to use the gym leader formula (which works well from a design standpoint) It wouldn't hurt to add just a little incentive to doing to, such as leader of evil organization IS the champion and you need to dethrone them.
Of course they could go always go a different route with the story and adventure.

In regards for contests I think that could be its own game series all together, because from a child's standpoint when I was younger and tried out the contests I didn't understand a thing all that well and just seemed uninteresting in general

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I want to have it where you need to sleep and eat. How are trainers not dead? They could have restaurants and fast food and stuff. If not that, just do it for the Pokémon. They did that in the first mystery dungeon titles. Where a day passes after each mission and you have to eat if you stay in a dungeon too long. "getting hungry..........."

Back