• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you improve the 3DS?

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I'd want the battery life to be improved, as while it's decent when you consider the heightened resolution and the 3D capabilities, it pales in comparison to the maximum of 17 hours of the DSi XL. I'm quite sure even the original Nintendo DS surpasses it in this respect.

I wouldn't mind the implementation of a way to play Game Boy Advance games. The addition of a slot would add negligible thickness, case in point being the original 3DS, which despite its lack of GBA slot still manages to be as thick as the DS Lite, which does indeed have a GBA slot. Even the addition of GBA games to the Virtual Console would be great, if not better, than the carving out of a GBA slot; it feels very empty when only original Game Boy and Game Boy Colour games are available.

The 3D setting could be a little bit milder, too, as even the lowest setting of 3D makes my eyes sore and gives me a headache. I suppose this could be alleviated by staying off 3D as is, but at least attempt to make it tolerable. Of course, this could be attributed to my numerous vision issues, such as myopia and astigmatism, but I wouldn't go that far.

Melody

Banned
Years
  • Make the "Parental Control" more intelligent; I.E. if I have the Hardware 3D switch in the OFF position, don't ask me to start it in 3D. (I do this because I don't feel the 3D adds much to many games, and often requires you to hold your 3DS perfectly still in that one sweet spot to get 3D effect properly. So this feature is nigh but useless to me.)
  • Don't force me to spend Play Coins to unlock basic command functions. ಠ_ಠ (Swapnote and other titles do this, and it's really annoying)
  • Don't limit how many Play Coins I can earn per day. ಠ_ಠ (Oftentimes when I DO walk, I go on LONG walks. I'd like credit for that kthx)
  • Don't allow titles to block the home button ಠ_ಠ (eshop is the biggest offender)
  • Make all, or as many GBA games as you can, available in eshop. Especially first party Nintendo titles. There's no excuse for not offering your own classic GBA titles.
  • Allow me to place the Game Card, System Settings, and E-Shop into folders on my screen. There's no excuse for not allowing this ಠ_ಠ
  • Allow me to play my DSi titles from the SD card please. There's no excuse for preventing this. ಠ_ಠ
  • Don't insert a 3 second 3DS logo preroll into my game boot/startup sequence, that's just a waste of time. At least let me turn it off! ಠ_ಠ
  • Allow users to enable/disable their Activity Log completely. Sometimes we don't need our playtimes and what we play logged. Add a Parental Control to force it either ON or OFF.
  • Improve the 3D effect so I don't have to be perfectly still to enjoy the effect. I move a lot when gaming sometimes, and that ruins the effect dramatically.
  • Require all games to have a 2D friendly mode/gameplay for visually impaired users who cannot properly enjoy the 3D.
  • Improve the built in Internet Browser in every system update. We don't expect Flash; but the browser needs work. We shouldn't have to browse only sites build specifically with the 3DS in mind.
  • Work with Google; bring Youtube to the 3DS please. Offer a way to restrict it with parental controls if that is a concern.
  • I don't personally care for it, but bring Hulu along as well. I think Hulu Plus users will thank you.
  • Backport a boiled down version of TVii. At least a schedule grid might be nice.
  • Allow customization of the Home Screen in the way the Original DS/DSi firmware did. At least being able to pick a color would be nice.
  • Allow me to choose if picking plays the Title/Banner sound. I don't want to hear noises other than clicks when browsing through my game collection.
  • Allow me to choose if I hear clicks as I'm browsing.
  • Support larger SD cards.
  • Improve loading times of titles like Camera and Music, which take too long to become usable when dealing with many photos/songs respectively.
  • In Friends list, Tell me which of my friends have me registered as a friend.
  • Don't bury the "Block(ed) Mii" so deeply in settings/menus. This should be an easily accessible option in any title where external Mii data is used.
  • Allow me to register more than 6 Wifi Networks
  • Support ALL public hotspots
  • Enable Legacy DS/DSi games to use WPA/WPA2. There's no excuse for this not being implemented. We shouldn't have to downgrade our routers to WEP in order to continue playing an older game online. ಠ_ಠ
  • Improve boot time from a powered off state.
  • Don't Region Lock Games. This is unacceptable profiteering, and unfair to consumers worldwide. ಠ_ಠ
  • Allow us to access Home Menu controls from DS/DSi titles. I should be able to control brightness and things like that without having to restart the game! ಠ_ಠ
  • Allow us to permit or deny titles from showing up on our "Recently Played" in Streetpass/Spotpass encounters with other players.

..And that's all I can think of at the moment.

Years
I think really, the 3DS is ok. It could do with better resolution for NDS games. Seriously, it's sad that I can play Ocarina of Time in what I consider amazing quality, but my white version is painful to play on the 3DS.

Hold down start or select when loading these games.

I just wish it was more ergonomic, it hurts to play most games that use the D-Pad and it's just more uncomfortable to hold than the DS Lite (or the best designed DS Phat).

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2013
I'd probably do away with the gyroscope gimmick in order to focus on other things, like battery life, or perhaps higher quality screens, especially on the XL, where everything is just scaled up.

Oh. And a second thumb stick, of course.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Only two things I'll add to the original design of the 3DS. A game boy advance cartridge slot and longer lasting battery!

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2016
extended battery life, probably a built in capture device (for recording games to put on youtube)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
No region locking. That's all I'd change.

If they didn't restrict games by region on the 3DS, I'd easily have double the games I have. As it is, I'm impressed I even have 6 since importing them is so expensive. (I imported my 3DS so I could play games from Japan.) If I could buy NA games and play them on my console, I'd have so many more since games are cheap here. I don't care about the eShop or anything--they can restrict that by region if they want--but I see NO reason why cartridge-based software can't be unlocked.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
  • Enable Legacy DS/DSi games to use WPA/WPA2. There's no excuse for this not being implemented. We shouldn't have to downgrade our routers to WEP in order to continue playing an older game online. ಠ_ಠ

• Doesn't it do this already? I can't play my DS games online on my actual DS since getting a new router that supports WPA2. But I do play them through my 3DS using WPA2.

Anyway, my recommendations would be...

- Battery life: It's just vital for a portable system. It's fine as it is, but it can always be better
    - Screen quality: Not sure how'd they fix this, but especially when 3D is on any little speck on the screen just sticks out like a sore thumb. It's somehow more noticeable than on my DS, even when its in pure 2D mode. I'll wipe it clean, but something always pops up again within seconds and it is so distracting
    - Remove region locking: Overall, I'm indifferent to region locking. But, in the handheld space I think it makes sense to be region free because it is so easy to bring with you on a plane to wherever. I bought a game in France for my DS when I visited and I was playing it there. That instant...ness is a neat feature of portable. You're going there, rather than importing here.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Honestly, I just want the region lock removed and as many classic games as Nintendo could possibly get onto the eshop, on the shop. If Nintendo would do both these things, then not only would I be able to buy cool imported games and play them on my 3DS, but there would be more than 3 or 4 games I'd actually want to buy off the eshop. In fact, by having not already done these things, I feel that Nintendo has really missed a chance to make some profit.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
*IMPROVE THE RESOLUTION. I can see individual pixels on my 3DS XL, that's a bad thing. At least give us 720p. This would also fix the problem with blurry DS games.
*An internet browser that actually uses all of the system's RAM, and is much faster
*Give us SNES and GBA titles on the eShop. There's really no excuse for not doing that.
*Camera quality that isn't laughably bad. I mean, last spring break I went to Japan with my family, and we were at that huge tech-tower place in Tokyo, and there were lots of little kids taking pictures of it with their 3DS. It actually made me laugh and feel kinda bad for them, because the why the hell would you even take pictures with a 3DS? The camera quality is absolutely terrible, and it makes me wonder why Nintendo actually put that in thinking it was "acceptable"

Back