• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Fakemon? Yes or No

Fakemon?

• Total voters

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
I am going to make a rom hack, and I decided to ask everyone, Fakemon? Yes or no.

I am two completely separate plotlines and other things in mind for each version. So the three options are:

1. Everyone Pokemon gens 1-4 will be obtainable.

2. A completely Fakemon Pokedex.

3. What's a rom hack?

Thanks for your opinions.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Why not a mix?

I'm working on one myself, and currently going through the process of which ones of the previous (now 6) generations make the cut.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
That is a good idea, but I am not sure which Pokemon to keep, and which to add. I can, of course figure that out, leave some of the more popular ones in the game. Maybe using hex I can create new Pokemon slots, actually. I just want to get more opinions first.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
Okay, yah, Marble's Pokemon are derpy to say the least. My profile picture is an example of one that would be in. Do you like it?

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
That is a good idea, but I am not sure which Pokemon to keep, and which to add. I can, of course figure that out, leave some of the more popular ones in the game. Maybe using hex I can create new Pokemon slots, actually. I just want to get more opinions first.

I just finished a draft of the roster for mine. Including the fakes I created, it comes to a total of 360. A number that I can work with.

What I did was simply cut each generation in half, but that resulted in about 350+ 'mons. So then I tallied up how many of each type I had, and cut the remaining 50 according to what there simply were too much of.

Picking who makes the cut can be pretty tough, although by eliminating the Starters and Legendaries of the previous gens, that already chops nearly 70 off the block.

I tried to gauge things by how popular/iconic/useful the 'mons were. Pikachu- for example- is the series mascot; wouldn't get rid of him.

Others that I've kept are Absol, Gardevoir, Alakazam, Steelix, Arcanine, Tentacruel- ones that I think have simply made names for themselves or are otherwise simply more memorable. The ones that people would notice were missing.

This is, of course, rather subjective.

But I adhered to my rule of half the 'mons per generation. Only at the end did I start making adjustments with outright discrimination along the lines of "Nah, this one's pretty dumb. Don't like 'em".

Hope that helps some.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
I just finished a draft of the roster for mine. Including the fakes I created, it comes to a total of 360. A number that I can work with.

What I did was simply cut each generation in half, but that resulted in about 350+ 'mons. So then I tallied up how many of each type I had, and cut the remaining 50 according to what there simply were too much of.

Picking who makes the cut can be pretty tough, although by eliminating the Starters and Legendaries of the previous gens, that already chops nearly 70 off the block.

I tried to gauge things by how popular/iconic/useful the 'mons were. Pikachu- for example- is the series mascot; wouldn't get rid of him.

Others that I've kept are Absol, Gardevoir, Alakazam, Steelix, Arcanine, Tentacruel- ones that I think have simply made names for themselves or are otherwise simply more memorable. The ones that people would notice were missing.

This is, of course, rather subjective.

But I adhered to my rule of half the 'mons per generation. Only at the end did I start making adjustments with outright discrimination along the lines of "Nah, this one's pretty dumb. Don't like 'em".

Hope that helps some.

Actually, yes, that's very helpful. I think I will have to start a list of my own, thanks!

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
Maybe you should just because some people don't like Fakemon (maybe all) you should but only you could me it really good some people judge by their designs (like me) like DJG (DestinedJagold) made a series of good fakemon hacks but still has Original Pokemon. :D

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Okay, yah, Marble's Pokemon are derpy to say the least. My profile picture is an example of one that would be in. Do you like it?

No, monkey face with wings doesn't look good.
Err.. some fake pokemon are good, depends on how the spriter imagines it.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years

No, monkey face with wings doesn't look good.
Err.. some fake pokemon are good, depends on how the spriter imagines it.

Okay, what parts don't you like about it? Is it the contrast in color, what?
(If you are going to say something sucks please leave constructive criticism with it thanks.)

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2015
It seems that the better fakemon creators don't care for making their own hack, sadly. The horrible fakemon we get in many hacks are not a good representation of fakemon in general. There's some really creative artists out there!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Okay, what parts don't you like about it? Is it the contrast in color, what?
(If you are going to say something sucks please leave constructive criticism with it thanks.)

In my opinion, it looks like an edit of Monferno. I haven't checked whether it is not but at first glance it does. Similarly, it looks like Pidgeotto or some other bird Pokemon's wings have been spliced to it. It's not terrible though, I think the colours work but I think it just needs to be a bit more original. :)

Which runs nicely into the question. :) Bare in mind OP this isn't a direct attack, but just general statements. I too create Fakemon, and one thing I like to see are original Fakemon. Pokemon that are either clearly edits of pre-existing Pokemon or poor-quality Pokemon are a huge turn-off. Getting someone's opinion on something before putting it into the game is ideal. I remember when I first started making sprites they were terrible. Seriously. Here's a comparison:

hector_sprite_timeline_by_superjub-d6dhcvt.png

Even now I know I can improve so much more. But I realise the first sprite from the example above sucks. Hard. But when I was younger, I was much more naive and didn't think it looked as bad as it did. So getting someone's opinion, especially from the Pixel Art section, is definitely a must if you're making your own sprites.

Overall, I like seeing Fakemon in a hack if they're done well. They can be a refreshing change. I've noticed that there aren't that many long-lasting hacks nowadays that use Fakemon which is a shame in my opinion. :(

It's also worth noting that the hack I'm making atm (Pokemon Aureolin) does not use Fakemon at all. I don't really like the combination of Pokemon and Fakemon if there isn't a good balance and I don't think I've made enough good quality sprites to pull it off just yet. :)

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
In my opinion, it looks like an edit of Monferno. I haven't checked whether it is not but at first glance it does. Similarly, it looks like Pidgeotto or some other bird Pokemon's wings have been spliced to it. It's not terrible though, I think the colours work but I think it just needs to be a bit more original. :)

Which runs nicely into the question. :) Bare in mind OP this isn't a direct attack, but just general statements. I too create Fakemon, and one thing I like to see are original Fakemon. Pokemon that are either clearly edits of pre-existing Pokemon or poor-quality Pokemon are a huge turn-off. Getting someone's opinion on something before putting it into the game is ideal. I remember when I first started making sprites they were terrible. Seriously. Here's a comparison:

hector_sprite_timeline_by_superjub-d6dhcvt.png

Even now I know I can improve so much more. But I realise the first sprite from the example above sucks. Hard. But when I was younger, I was much more naive and didn't think it looked as bad as it did. So getting someone's opinion, especially from the Pixel Art section, is definitely a must if you're making your own sprites.

Overall, I like seeing Fakemon in a hack if they're done well. They can be a refreshing change. I've noticed that there aren't that many long-lasting hacks nowadays that use Fakemon which is a shame in my opinion. :(

It's also worth noting that the hack I'm making atm (Pokemon Aureolin) does not use Fakemon at all. I don't really like the combination of Pokemon and Fakemon if there isn't a good balance and I don't think I've made enough good quality sprites to pull it off just yet. :)

Right, okay. Yah, I definitely have a lot to work on with my sprites. (Actually that Fakemon was the first one I ever made. So It's not great.) I think I have developed a solid idea for my next hack, and I think I am going to do that. (Not Fakemon) Thanks for all of your opinions!

Back