• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That nagging doubt

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    You know what I mean. That voice in the back of your head that makes you doubt yourself and your writing because "nobody will like it" making you afraid of being torn apart for it. Have you ever had that? And how do/can you over come it?

I ask this because I write to entertain people and knowing that I'm not entertaining then but rather displeasing them isn't a comforting thought. No matter how much I tell myself to not worry, I still feel scared deep down for not writing anything "amaing" or "groundbreaking" even if that shouldn't matter (not that I'm accusing anyone of that here, just my own irrational fears). When I write, it feels like that voice is holding me back.

Thoughts?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I started having this when I first started writing. After my first fanfiction was posted, I had to step away from the computer and go do something else for the rest of the day because I was so nervous about other people reading it. I actually didn't check if I got any replies until the next morning. I think my main concern was that someone was going to say that it sucked.

Now, I don't really have that voice anymore. I know that if people dodn't find it interesting, they won't be bothered to comment and I shouldn't even worry about it. After my first couple positive reviews, I realized that this might be something I could actually do, and the voice gradually started to go away. Now, I post chapters almost without a second thought. I still worry whether or not people will find it entertaining, but it's more of a curious "I have to find out" worry instead of a petrifying fear.

I imagine the only thing that would make me worry would be starting a new story altogether and me worrying over whether it's a good idea. But, that's still a long way off.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
    Years
  • Hm. Interesting question: I'm not sure I get that when posting my work online. I used to get quite nervous about showing my work to people in person, but I never felt nervous about posting it online; maybe it's because I can't see the other person's face when they're reading it. Now I don't get nervous in either situation unless I'm giving my work to the judge of a writing contest or something like that - someone who I know has excellent critical abilities and who, therefore, I desperately want to make a good impression on.

Back