• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games you once liked, but now dislike

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Inverse of this thread, since I thought it'd get more interesting answers the other way.

--

For me it's TES IV: Oblivion. It was the first game of its kind I played, of a genre I'd previously only imagined. It was wonderous and all to finally play something of this ilk, but ultimately it has a massive flaw which became apparent the more I levelled up... indeed, this is that common complaint: the level-scaling system killed my immersion and enjoyment of the gameplay both at once. There's simply no justification for certain enemies pretty much disappearing (ex. imps) or gaining so much health they could literally take an hour to kill (ex. rats), the appearance of bandits and outcasts with top-grade gear. nor for why iron ceases to be capable of rending the flesh of an unarmoured goblin (or protecting my own).

Oh well. Skyrim handles most things better, even at the expense of depth.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • For me it's TES IV: Oblivion. It was the first game of its kind I played, of a genre I'd previously only imagined. It was wonderous and all to finally play something of this ilk, but ultimately it has a massive flaw which became apparent the more I levelled up... indeed, this is that common complaint: the level-scaling system killed my immersion and enjoyment of the gameplay both at once. There's simply no justification for certain enemies pretty much disappearing (ex. imps) or gaining so much health they could literally take an hour to kill (ex. rats), the appearance of bandits and outcasts with top-grade gear. nor for why iron ceases to be capable of rending the flesh of an unarmoured goblin (or protecting my own).
    I play Oblivion on PC and still love it because of mods. There are several leveling system mods out there that fix that extremely apparent flaw, which really is a game-killer. That's the one thing that prevents the game from being great: You level up and life gets harder for you. If you don't level up right, then you get clobbered. And "leveling up right" essentially means jumping up and down all over town while casting a spell to boost one of your minor skills... it just doesn't make sense.

On my most recent Oblivion file, I was like level 21 when I first got to Kvatch given all the stuff I'd gone through. That entire sequence was NUTS because of how high-level the monsters were, and nobody stood a chance without messing with the difficulty slider. There's also the possibility of not leveling up, but then you won't get the health and magicka boosts you need to use the toys you want to use... it's really a poorly-designed leveling system, but as it can be modded, there's always some room.

Just thought I'd give you a few pointers. If you don't have Oblivion for PC, then you're SOL :/

For me... uh, Resident Evil 4 comes to mind. Loved it at first, as it was a thrilling survival horror action game, but in a replay, the awkward controls and slow pacing just weren't good anymore. I don't necessarily dislike it per se, it just isn't the same exhilarating ride that it once was. Still a revolutionary game for its time, but now the controls alone make it dated and hard to play. Maybe I should try it again...

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The only real time when I grew a dislike to a game I once enjoyed is probably Mario Kart 7. I used to enjoy it, but then I realised It requires far too much luck with the item boxes. The hax I get in this game is ridiculous.

Infact, I can stretch this dislike and say that I don't like any Mario kart game that isn't super circuit. It's a shame the path that the series took was more of a party game rather than a casual racer.

Last edited:

Zozma

I'm a blur
    Years
  • Tales of Symphonia. I was totally taken in by it years ago but now I just find it kinda meh and a bit childish. I prefer most of the other Tales games over it now.

TheCollector

Merely a collector
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2014
    Battlefield and COD.

Realised that shooters with shallow story modes are as boring as taxes.

Years
  • Normally games that have had so many squeals, it is difficult to keep up. Mario, Call of Duty, Halo and so on.

I loved the old Mario games but can't stand the new ones, same with Call of Duty and Halo! :/​

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    i know its immature to say but no one is perfect....i dont like the MegaTen(persona,devil survivor) series anymore because EVERYONE and their little brother loves it now even though they barely understand it. i miss when the series was underrated but understood....awww here comes nostalgia lol

FrankOcean

OFWGKTA ALL DAY
    Years
  • I used to be in love with the GTA series but GTA IV ruined it for me.
    I honestly don't know what it did, but GTA isn't fun for me anymore...

Aeon.

Carrion
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 22, 2016
    I used to really enjoy Call of Duty... until Modern Warfare 2 came out. I gave Black Ops a chance but started disliking it the night I bought it.

Battlefield is a somewhat-different story. I loved Bad Company 2 and was a bit excited for BF3. The more I played of it though, the more boring I found it to be (maybe because it's on console or something I don't know.)

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Like most people, CoD.
    I really began to lose interest in that series once Modern Warfare 2 came out.
    I'd still play CoD4 if console wasn't ridden with hackers, but whatever.

Halo also comes to mind.
    Halo reach was ok, but Halo 4 is pretty much Call of Duty in Space, So I'm not even going to bother with it.

EDIT: oh, and final fantasy too. I still love games pre FFXII, but all the FFXIII titles so far has killed this series for me.
    Lolcorridors, and plot line thinner than bog roll, etc.

Back