• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other Chat Thoughts and Improvements/Revamp/Q&A

What would you like to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Merge OC, OVP and C&M together into one super forum. But, more seriously, could we have some more lighthearted chat in OC? Most of the time that I have an idea for a thread I want to make I find it seems more suited for OVP because either it's not too serious (and OC has a more "serious" vibe to it) or I don't expect it would generate too much discussion (even if I think there's the potential for a lot of discussion). I suppose that's second reason is my own fault for not giving OC as many chances.

Have you though of doing what's going on in OVP and having a 'thread of the week'? That would mean more stickies though and people seem to hate those. :/

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • ^Valid point about more lighthearted discussions. But those aren't interesting, I tried, or maybe the subject just isn't so hot (Myths thread) xD

Oh and I love the Debate Team suggestions! It could be like a tournament and non-debaters could vote for who they' like to win. More than two teams obviously for a tournament it needs to be more than 2 teams.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • What the hell is with everybody's hard-on about less stickies? Seriously OC DOES NOT HAVE A STICKY PROBLEM!

Nor does anywhere else.
    When I load a page and have to PgDn twice to see the non-sticky threads, then yes... yes, there is a problem. :/ Mind you, that's on a netbook (though with a full maximized browser), but anyone browsing on a mobile device would have the same problem. Too many stickies means the really important ones get lost in the mass of them. Any more than 4 and I find it hard to read each one in the list and it's more unlikely I'll bother with anyone. 3 is ideal for me, though.

Years
  • ^Valid point about more lighthearted discussions. But those aren't interesting, I tried, or maybe the subject just isn't so hot (Myths thread) xD

Oh and I love the Debate Team suggestions! It could be like a tournament and non-debaters could vote for who they' like to win. More than two teams obviously for a tournament it needs to be more than 2 teams.

Please, make more lighthearted discussions then. If enough people are on board, then we can begin to shift to focus away from serious topics. But that means I need the members help - Don't make a thread simply because it's controversial, and don't post so much in the ones that already are. OP's especially should really tend to (by that I mean Post intelligibly) and watch the threads they make so they can make them successful.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    OP's especially should really tend to (by that I mean Post intelligibly) and watch the threads they make so they can make them successful.

I love that you said that because I don't see a lot of people do it. I always go back to threads I've made and post something responding to somebody else, because I want more people to see it. I like the topics I make so I always want to see more posts about it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What makes lighthearted discussion so hard is that it's the controversy that fires people up enough to come back to a thread over and over and discuss, which makes it difficult to stir up enough interest in a lighthearted thread to make it an actual discussion and not just OVP material, post and go.

But I'll make an effort to make/reply to lighthearted threads too! /salute

Years
  • I love that you said that because I don't see a lot of people do it. I always go back to threads I've made and post something responding to somebody else, because I want more people to see it. I like the topics I make so I always want to see more posts about it.

That's the one thing I wish people did more. From what I've seen, if they word the thread correctly, and if they follow it close enough, you can really direct the tone and nature of the thread, and then build it to a nice 100+ post thread worthy of the 'Discussion master' emblem.

Melody

Banned
    Years

• Having personally read almost all the threads in the T-dome, I can safely say we're no way even close to some of the atrocities I've seen in there yet.

I like having a lot of stickies. Makes the forum look bigger, etc. :<

True, we aren't there yet. But allowing controversial topics, is like allowing tinder near a fire. It could happen to a thread when no staff around are able to act on it. (Mods of other sections perhaps?)

I don't want to see the whole debates allowed thing go up in smoke, we all know how obsessively your predecessor obliterated such topics. She was in her right to do so but I like being able to debate serious things from time to time. It provides good discussion and I don't like the prospect of that failing again.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • As for the stickies issue, I don't mind them so much but I see what people mean. So let's remove "Seasonal Editions" from the Daily Chit-Chat and The Pairing Thread can be somewhere else, maybe OVP.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years

• Please, make more lighthearted discussions then. If enough people are on board, then we can begin to shift to focus away from serious topics. But that means I need the members help - Don't make a thread simply because it's controversial, and don't post so much in the ones that already are. OP's especially should really tend to (by that I mean Post intelligibly) and watch the threads they make so they can make them successful.

I'm not opposed to lighthearted discussions, but I personally wouldn't want to see the focus shift away from serious topics. If we don't discuss serious things here, where would be discuss them? That's the fun part of coming to Other Chat, getting fired up into a debate! Besides, I think a forum full of light-hearted chatter would have a higher probability of degenerating into nonsense and spam.

Years

• The Rules are pretty strict here, i suppose it the strictness must lessen.

No, no, and no. Members here have enough trouble as is with following the rules, lessening them would only complicate things and devolve the arguments here even further.

Also guys, we do kinda have a DCC emblem?

navi.png
    The Navi Award
    You chatter as much as Navi does! ...Is that really a good thing?
    Awarded: January 13th, 2011 02:41 AM

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Can I suggest that we don't make any more seasonal themed DCC's? Just make the one thread at the start of the year and leave it at that.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Can I suggest that we don't make any more seasonal themed DCC's? Just make the one thread at the start of the year and leave it at that.
    The reason why we decided on Seasonal DCC's was because one thread for the year became rather big in that matter of time. That said, not everyone wanted to join in on conversations in the DCC, because of its large size, feeling intimidated, and the fact that they might be ignored or their post might get lost in the conversation. So, we refresh it every time a new season comes in to help that situation.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • just gonna copypaste what i posted on your blog

get rid of other voting polls. create a new forum called debate or discussion or anything along those lines. current ovp topics and dcc can be in other chat. discussion and debate threads will go in, obviously, the debate and discussion forum.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    The reason why we decided on Seasonal DCC's was because one thread for the year became rather big in that matter of time. That said, not everyone wanted to join in on conversations in the DCC, because of its large size, feeling intimidated, and the fact that they might be ignored or their post might get lost in the conversation. So, we refresh it every time a new season comes in to help that situation.

That doesn't make any sense. The number of pages doesn't have any bearing on the current conversation and how fast it's going.

Years
  • That doesn't make any sense. The number of pages doesn't have any bearing on the current conversation and how fast it's going.

If you wanted to look back in the thread, it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to look back through hundreds of pages like the DCC's of old.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I wish there was a way we could discuss more serious and controversial issues without starting flame wars. I personally do not have much interest in some of the light-hearted issues, although I do acknowledge that some people really enjoy more light-hearted discussions. Perhaps the responsibly to be mature and respectful with responses should be in the hands of each individual member. I think that the person that starts the thread also has a responsibility to help make the atmosphere of the discussion productive rather than making personal attacks/reciprocating personal attacks. This way, the first members that start to get off-track and disrespectful can either be warned or get a strike in order to prevent a snowball effect into a multi-member flame war! I might also suggest that those whom received strikes for rude and disrespectful comments may not be ideal for starting threads; should that privilege be taken away from those members if they have been involved with conflicts?

I thought that the debate events would be an interesting idea. I am not sure how these events would be judged, or how to carryout such an event with organization, but it sounds interesting.

BTW... I like the pic threads being merged! Hope my suggestions/thoughts help.

Years
  • Change the name to your recommendation. Dungeons and Dragons D&D! :P

But yeah I checked all of the above on the poll. I would love to see political discussion here promoted rather than put down just because people don't want to come into an agreement. :/

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Perhaps the pairing thread should be relocated to OVP, maybe? Given the nature of the thread, it seems like an appropriate place for such a thread since it isn't a discussion thread and has the same (again) nature in posting once (or more if you like to change pairs like you change your socks) and then go, not really bothering to pay attention to other posts other than copying the prior pair names. </awesomerunon>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back