• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Zelda-like Adventuring

Years
Hello, I've been having a great game idea for a year and a half now, but it's just that, and an idea doesn't make a game, so I wanted to know what actually can be made into reality.
I was thinking of adventuring, but without the need of the ever so annoying hms.
Optimistically, this would open for a lot of adventuring and exploring possibilities, right?
So how about making so that the character can swim, dive, climb and jump without the aid of any pokemon?
Instead, the character would progressively be able to do these things thanks to the aid of some item or event in the story, like a torch instead of flash, or an artifact that would bestow water breathing capabilities of sorts, and so on.
That would surely add novelty to a fan game...
Anyhow, I wanted to know how much of this zelda-like adventuring could be implemented in a pokemon game and what is your opinion about this.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
All of it. This idea is really nothing new. Buying Shovels, Climbing Gear, Scuba Gear can certainly be done and has been an idea shared by many.

I originally wanted to implement it in Dissension way back when, but ultimately, I decided that HMs let your pokemon do things too which is still pretty great for trying to take your player into your game a bit more. I have thrown around the idea of keeping HMs and making one use items for certain things, kind of like how the escape rope works

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
If you know how, all of it is doable. Pokemon Nightmare has these already implemented, and I did my own spin on a concept like that. You'd need to have some knowledge of Ruby, and how Essentials' codes work (if that is what you're using). Just don't be discouraged to try to do it. It is very feasible, and (in my opinion) not very difficult.

Years
If you know how, all of it is doable. Pokemon Nightmare has these already implemented, and I did my own spin on a concept like that. You'd need to have some knowledge of Ruby, and how Essentials' codes work (if that is what you're using). Just don't be discouraged to try to do it. It is very feasible, and (in my opinion) not very difficult.
Well, thanks for the responses!
I didn't think something like this could be implemented, so I'm happy to be wrong.
In the future I will surely try this.
Anyhow, another question: a year back or so I saw some pictures on deviantart where the character sprites looked very tall, not like the original pokemon games where they're cartoonish and don't reflect much anatomy. Of course, the architecture and everything else was bigger and taller too to reflect the change.
What I wanted to know is if such a thing was feasible with essentials, and if you know about any pokemon game which is being worked on that uses such tall and anatomical sprites

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Well, thanks for the responses!
I didn't think something like this could be implemented, so I'm happy to be wrong.
In the future I will surely try this.
Anyhow, another question: a year back or so I saw some pictures on deviantart where the character sprites looked very tall, not like the original pokemon games where they're cartoonish and don't reflect much anatomy. Of course, the architecture and everything else was bigger and taller too to reflect the change.
What I wanted to know is if such a thing was feasible with essentials, and if you know about any pokemon game which is being worked on that uses such tall and anatomical sprites

It is possible, as long as you have the correct resources. RPG Maker XP is very flexible with graphics.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Surf is one of the easiest one. Essentially, just make your item call pbStartSurfing from PokemonHiddenMoves, and you're good!

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I really disagree about the Gam Freak idea of more than 4 HMs, so several players use some pokémon to be HMs slaves, this is really that the Game Freak devs wants? Turning HM moves to items is a very better thing to do, I use this for Surf in my game.

If someone wants this in Essentals I wrote a tutorial explaining how to do this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304725

Back