• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A suggestion for the starting pokemon.

Years
  • As we know Black and White 2 are the new pokemon games they are working on. I don't see B and W 2 as a 'third game' for this generation, like platinum, crystal and emerald. I see these 2 more as unique games, like silver in comparison to red. But because the game is in the Unova region we should have to start with the same starters again right? Well, I think it is time to change that. This is the second time we are in the Unova region, but the setting has changed (2 years in the future, other enviroments ed) so I think it is also good to make a change to the starting pokemon. What is that change, you might wonder. My proposal is that we don't have to choose between the 3 unova region starters, but between every starter pokemon ever had to offer. Your rival will then pick a random pokemon of the list of pokemon which are strong against yours. Like if I decide to pick totodile, my rival will randomly pick between bulbasaur, chickorita, treecko, turtwig or snivy. I think it will be a good thing for B and W 2 not to havew to choose between the same 3 starters again, but to be able to make new choices. What do you guys think? I would love to start B and W 2 with a totodile, as an example.

Strange, I wrote this text in paragraph's, but they don't seem to show up here. Is the text correctly divided by you guys?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The games are already released. It's too late to change anything in it now, even the starters you get to choose from. And Black 2/White 2 are sequels to the original Black/White games; the events in the former games take place 2 years after the events of the latter games.

But while the above concept of you and your rival choosing random starters is cool, I don't think this is likely to happen because going with any of the regional starters makes the player feel right at the region.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Yeah, it's a little to late for this to happen now. The only way for you to get that is if somebody tampered with the ROM. Making the Rival randomly have any five of a certain type Pokemon would also be to much work for nothing (you would have to create 15 different 'Rival trainers' for each situation, and that is only first the first Rival Battle, 15 more would follow for the next rival battle as well as all the others. It's just to much work for such a little effect.)

I do agree the Unova starters are getting old but there is a wide selection of Pokemon in BW2 that you can even in the very beginning replace them with so it's not that bad.

NiGHtsBeta09

Rescuer/Explorer/Trainer
    Years
  • I think this is still like the "3rd Version" scenario from before, but to a greater degree. Nintendo probably figured just mixing the two games and having some extra content wouldn't work forever, so they decided to change it up. Besides, wasn't Platinum set 1-2 years at least, after Diamond and Pearl? The scenery changed there as well, just not so much...

But I do like the idea. I would love to run around with my Charmander or Totodile as well! :D

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I think this is still like the "3rd Version" scenario from before, but to a greater degree. Nintendo probably figured just mixing the two games and having some extra content wouldn't work forever, so they decided to change it up. Besides, wasn't Platinum set 1-2 years at least, after Diamond and Pearl? The scenery changed there as well, just not so much...

But I do like the idea. I would love to run around with my Charmander or Totodile as well! :D

No all the thirds (Which were Director's Cut versions of the games Minus Yellow which was just the Special Pikachu Edition) are at the same time as the original two games they were with. Only G/S had a direct time change with R/B and now B2W2 have a direct time change. B2W2 can't really be considered 3rds because they don't act like 3rds in any aspect.

Years
  • Well since BW2 is the same as BW, I would suggest choosing Oshawott because the final evolution, Samurott is so cool. Water-type Pokemon rule compared to some other types like grass. Also, Oshawott has high Attack and Speed if you level it up quickly.

Back