• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

S3venAces

Amateur Pixel Artist
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are my least favorite games in the series (I don't dislike them or anything...I just like the other games more).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
Mega evolutions are gimmicky, and many of them look kinda stupid and over-designed.

I was horrified when my Aerodactyl sprouted what appears to be a goatee and bushy black eyebrows mid-battle.

I agree with this, not any megas I actually like and would rather they added new pokemon instead... especially finally giving Pinsir an evo.

Years
Bidoof is a pretty cute Pokemon. It's one of my favorite regional early Normal-types and I think it's got a really clever design that's not too overdone or too simple.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I really don't want any more electric mice or birds, but I wouldn't mind more variants of dog or cat pokémon. Even though there are many of those already.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
-/vp/ is one of the best places to discuss Pokemon on the internet, besides Pokecommunity of course.

-Garchomp is such a redundant design with all those spikes/edges. Its Mega is even worse, an absolute eyesore even for someone who loves Dragon types.

-Black and White are such a chore to playthrough, just so much dialogue for one to digest. Its story is good, but a little too complex.

-I'd say Diamond and Pearl are the worst games in the series if not for the introduction of Wifi battles. Platinum and HGSS did a lot if good for Gen 4 however. Sinnoh is my least favorite region.

-I cannot play Gen 1 with its original colors, or lack thereof. I have to play Yellow or some hack that recolors the game.

-Gen 5's starters are the worst in my opinion, and apparently that's not unpopular with other Pokemon fans.

-Gen 2 does have a bad level curve, and one that was not improved with HGSS. However, people don't consider that random trainers in Kanto shouldn't have higher leveled Pokemon than the Johto Champion Lance.

-Genwunners are not real pokemon fans. They were pokemon fans, and now they aren't. The love for Charizard is too much, and the hate for Charizard is also too much. Charizard is well-designed pokemon and that's that. Some people only hate Charizard because they just hate Fire types.

Driskull

DADDY WAS A FALL DOWN MAN
Years
-Black and White are such a chore to playthrough, just so much dialogue for one to digest. Its story is good, but a little too complex.
-Gen 5's starters are the worst in my opinion, and apparently that's not unpopular with other Pokemon fans.

I must agree with both of these points.

B/W are arguably the second worst of the series in my own opinion.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
- Don't like Gen 3 games onwards (except FR/LG);
- Don't like the humanoid designs that have started to become "mainstream" since Gen 3;
- Don't like Pokémon following the player (or at least not being able to turn that off);
- Don't like the concept of mega evolutions;
- Don't like the mix of sprites and 3D models. I prefer either one or the other;
- Don't like double (or more) battles;

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
One thing I found frustrating is the fact of shiny blocking reshiram and zekrom, what's the point of doing that?, it doesn't affect the storyline. I think shiny blocking legends are one of the worst thing to ever do, it's understandable if it's done for pokemon given via wonder card that are not shiny, but, in-game pokemon? come on. Maybe it's not important for much people, but i guess for people who hunt shiny legends it's important.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
I didn't see how Palika was a Dragon/Water Type. The Mega-Evolution are meh. They can get overpowered at times, BUT all you have to do is throw out the most OP Flying Type there is: Talonflame!

Years
*taps mic* Okay, these are mine:

-I like Ash. He's an actual human being who doesn't win every battle his first time because he actually learns and grows as a Trainer. Red is perfect and boring.
-Liking Gen III isn't that unpopular, but I also like IV. And not in an "eh, it's okay" sense; it's probably my second-favorite gen. The music didn't all sound the same, Sinnoh was huge and the diversity of environments showcased this, the overall aesthetic style was cartoony but not awkwardly pixelated (as happens in V and VI when things are too close to the camera), and I enjoyed having actual new areas to explore after beating the game rather than just a Battle Frontier or whatever.
-Pokemon XD is one of the best games of the franchise, even including main-series, and even surpasses Colosseum.
-Team Flare was implemented horrendously. They don't really have a coherent or interesting goal, they show up at random times (often unnoticed by other NPCs), and by God, does their theme ever get old.
-I will probably never have the motivation to breed for natures or IVs. (I do, however, EV-train.)
-Pokemon: The First Movie is the best film of the series, in storyline and delivery as well as action.
-The Smogon community is condescending and unwelcoming beyond easy forgiveness.
-They shouldn't have included Pikachu's cry in X and Y or any of the Pokemon's cries in Super Smash Bros. It just serves as an awkward connection to the anime.
-Pokemon Channel is quite a fun diversion, although not much of a full game.
-While I don't agree with genwunners, I don't happen to mind them. I know what it's like to be nostalgic.
-I have never in my life cared that Charizard isn't Fire/Dragon. Not all flying reptiles have to be dragons; I haven't seen nearly this amount of stink raised about Aerodactyl not being Rock/Dragon (granted, it doesn't have the fiery motif). However, I've never understood why Flygon isn't part-Flying.
-As frustrating as this could make gameplay for serious Pokemon players, I kinda wish it was random which species would hatch from an Egg when its parents were from different species, as well as which moves it would get. Pokemon in general feels too systematic and exploitable to me.
-One of the best additions to X and Y was that treating your Pokemon right actually matters. It feels like a glorious middle-finger to the smug players who train their Pokemon exclusively by formulas and calculations. Enjoy your darn game!

[*]I think the best thing in Black & White was the complete absence of old Pokémon. I felt like I was discovering the series all over again while playing those games.
YES. I mean, I agree with all of yours, but this one in particular.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
Smogon rules suck, and many Smogonites arrogant wimps not worth battling. Of course my opinion on the matter is probably not that unpopular, but it feels like if sometimes.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Eh, I'm not sure if I have much in the way of unpopular opinions, but I think I got one: PokeStar Studios in Black2/White2 was a great feature and should've been included in X/Y, and should be included in all future main series games.

Wonder if I got anymore....

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I got another one. Shiny Pokemon. I don't care for them, but a lot of people are really into them (which you can see if you head over to the Quick Trade thread). Most of 'em don't look any better than the non-shiny version. A few even look worse IMO. Then there's some that hardly look any different (Garchomp, for example) There's a few that I think look cool (Haxorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Genesect), but that's it. Otherwise, I don't care for shinies.

Last edited:

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
Here we go.

Gen 1 was for the most part, was too clunky and slow, the Pokemon sprites are god-awful, and
Psychic-types ruled the world.

Am I the only one who likes Lopunny, Gardevoir, Meloetta, etc. that doesn't think they are sexy or "waifus"?

I never really hated the Pikaclones or Pikachu. (I am starting to think that hating Pikachu is popular opinion, but then again I could be wrong.)

I really like Pokemon that are considered weak, Dustox, Cherrim, Mawile, etc.

I don't like Charizard.

I am not interested in Mystery Dungeon.

I don't think there should be Hoenn remakes, the main reason Red/Green and Gold/Silver got remakes is because you couldn't trade your Pokemon to the other games since the hardware was so drastically different. All it really takes to get your Hoenn Pokemon to the newer games is stuff like Pal Park.

Last edited:

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Nobody ever agrees, but I don't believe that Arceus is a god, or created the Pokémon world. There's no evidence that Arceus is anything more than a powerful, but otherwise ordinary, Pokémon.
Legendary Pokémon in general I don't believe are anything but rare, powerful Pokémon; they're not gods, they're not "one-of-a-kind". They're only "legendary" because they're featured in legends and mythology, simple as that. Generally speaking, anyway. I wrote treatise on the subject, "Legendary Pokémon ~ Fact or Fiction?": there's a link to it in my signature.
There are a lot of Pokémon that I like that nobody else seems to care for as well: I prefer Dragonair to Dragonite, I like Drowzee and Hypno, I like Mega Gardevoir, I like Vulpix more than Ninetales, I like Magmar, and prefer Lickitung to Lickilicky. (I guess I'm not totally sure what general opinion on these is, but most of the people I know disagree with me pretty strongly on these ones; there are a lot more too, those are just the ones that I thought of immediately.)

Years
Gen 1 was for the most part, was too clunky and slow, the Pokemon sprites are god-awful, and
Psychic-types ruled the world.
I actually don't think this is that unpopular an opinion anymore. People whose favorite gen is the first usually praise different things about it, like the simplicity of Pokemon designs and the low number of Legendaries. (I do agree, though.)

Am I the only one who likes Lopunny, Gardevoir, Meloetta, etc. that doesn't think they are sexy?
I'm asexual, and I like Gardevoir. The other two I'm pretty indifferent toward.

This reminds me of one, though: Am I the only one who doesn't like Machamp? The darn thing looks like a warped human with Birdie the Early Bird (the freaking McDonald's character)'s beak. Completely ugly.

I don't think there should be Hoenn remakes, the main reason Red/Green and Gold/Silver got remakes is because you couldn't trade your Pokemon to the other games since the hardware was so drastically different. All it really takes to get your Hoenn Pokemon to the newer games is stuff like Pal Park.
Yeah, I'd get one if they came out, but I'm not banking on the event, nor do I care much. (I also think having a game with all the regions would be a terrible idea, as it would keep Nintendo/Game Freak from ever making money off the previous regions again or selling any future games with a smaller scope, and there would be little canonical sense.)

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
I actually don't think this is that unpopular an opinion anymore. People whose favorite gen is the first usually praise different things about it, like the simplicity of Pokemon designs and the low number of Legendaries. (I do agree, though.)

Personally I don't care how many legendaries we get.

This reminds me of one, though: Am I the only one who doesn't like Machamp? The darn thing looks like a warped human with Birdie the Early Bird (the freaking McDonald's character)'s beak. Completely ugly.

Machamp reminds me of a buff King Dedede.

Yeah, I'd get one if they came out, but I'm not banking on the event, nor do I care much. (I also think having a game with all the regions would be a terrible idea, as it would keep Nintendo/Game Freak from ever making money off the previous regions again or selling any future games with a smaller scope, and there would be little canonical sense.)

I agree, if you saw that Pokemon MMO stuff it would be the same way.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Am I the only one who likes Lopunny, Gardevoir, Meloetta, etc. that doesn't think they are sexy?

Hahaha, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most of your friends (or at least Pokémon-savvy friends) are boys? :pink_giggle:
I think Lopunny, Gardevoir, and Meloetta are pretty, and cute, but I wouldn't describe them as sexy. Well, maybe in comparison to other Pokémon, hahaha. In other words, yeah, Gardevoir's sexier than a Jynx, but that's not very hard to do, is it? As Pokémon go, Gardevoir, Lopunny, etc., are fairly "sexy" in comparison, but then that's also assuming that everyone has the same view of what "sexy" is. Somebody could theoretically find Gallade sexy, but not everyone does (at least I don't think they do).

Back