• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Inserting sprites for Emerald using unLZ-GBA

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    You should prepare for epic and hard-to-understand walls of text, i'll add some images later.

I had a problem doing this, (and now i can never look at wobbuffets the same way) but i have recently fixed it using this method, here's what you'll need:

A rom
    IrfanView
    a Hex Editor (i used hex workshop)
    unLZ-GBA
    A Sprite
    A second frame for your sprite (if you want to animate it)

1. Open unLZ-GBA and find the image and frames of the pokemon you want to change. (note: you do not need to edit the single image of the pokemon, if you do, just edit the frames.

2. click on save as, and save it as anything you want, next up, you should probably try to finish the palette, but i won't stop you if you want to do the frames first.

3a. Open the sprite you want to write over the other, Go to Decrease Color Depth, and select 16 colors, edit the palette so that the transparent color matches the one of the sprite you're editing, save it after you have swapped the first color with the other, you may have to paste the pre-indexed sprite after, but this will not affect your result. After that, simply import the sprite, and click write to rom, if you get a message saying that the compressed data is <data> which is bigger. then you will have to repoint the image, which means YAY, time to play with numbers and letters! go to your hex editor and open up your rom, scroll down to a place where you can find a lot of F's, these represent free space, jot down the offset and try to rewrite your sprite to the rom, check export palette (i think) , auto-abort if new data is bigger and automatically fix pointers, if it is successful, then unLZ-GBA will say that theres a pointer found at <pointer> and changes it, and voila, you have a palette!

3b. now try to insert your frames, it should work, if it aborts, then use the hex workshop method, if the palette is messed up then go to irfanview, and change the palette as it appears with your other sprite, then try to write it again, if should work, and the palette problem should be fixed, so test it out on your rom and try to encounter it, the sprite should show, if it messes up then i can't help you there, it shouldn't mess up though.

hope you like this tutorial.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks a lot for this tutorial. I was wondering how I would do this.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • This helps a lot thanks
    you could also use wichu's advance series for this.

Back