• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Affirmative Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
    • Seen today
    Hey PokeCommunity,

Given that most of us are progressive, educated, liberal thinkers - would most of you give up your job for a black man (or woman)? Black people have been treated so unfairly and to this day, receive inequality in society. Being open minded liberals, shouldn't we be willing to be the first to better our world and help balance out the equation?

In short - Would you be willing to give you job to a black person to fight racism?

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Nope. The world ain't like how it was years ago. Slavery is non-existent in America and we're more accepting of minorities more than we have ever been. Personally, I don't witness any racism against blacks in the working world, if anything I see minorities getting hired on more often just because of their skin color. It's hard enough to find work now-a-days, so I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna give up something I worked hard to achieve. Join the military if finding work is really that hard. Great opportunities there if they utilize them correctly.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Given that most of us are progressive, educated, liberal thinkers

I am? This is news to me! Everybody here calls me a right-wing extremist.

That's not how you fight racism or how affirmative action works.

The solution is education: making sure that schools everywhere, but especially in neglected or impoverished areas that don't have the tax revenue, get as much funding and trained teachers as they need. That's the simplified version anyway.

Or we can help by sending kids from impoverished areas to the schools that are located in areas that have plenty of tax revenue, or even give them a scholarship to send them to private schools. Oh, wait. The teacher's unions that fund the Democrat's campaigns draw the line at helping kids get a better education!

Years
  • Well, let me add my two cents.

The reason why black students are likely to perform worse in their educational endeavors, is the fact that the children come from impoverished families and low-income urban areas. Thus, the creation of predominantly white suburban areas, which are away from the intercity, indigence, and crime. With the expansion to suburban area, also goes the money and funding.

Essentially, inter-city schools, that are predominantly comprised of racial minority student body, are disadvantaged in two profound ways:

1) Less affluent families are more likely to not have finances to bolster their children's education, or educational excellence is less stressed as a necessity. 2) Indigent areas are catalyst for crime. In order to supplement needs for low income, their is a higher tendency to commit theft-related crime. And thus, the creation of gangs. The same was true of the Industrial Age factory-working population. (i.e. Gangs of New York).

Thus, a viscous cycle. Environment creates a poor educational background, and the poor education background stimulates poverty, by which creates the poor environment.

Essentially, revamping and throwing money at the inter-city schools does not solve the problem since it does not change the indigent environment. You can have the best trained teachers in these areas, with little results and large expenses. It is not cost-effective.

Thus, the impoverished areas are what need to be addressed, and affirmative action does little to remedy that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hey PokeCommunity,

Given that most of us are progressive, educated, liberal thinkers - would most of you give up your job for a black man (or woman)? Black people have been treated so unfairly and to this day, receive inequality in society. Being open minded liberals, shouldn't we be willing to be the first to better our world and help balance out the equation?

In short - Would you be willing to give you job to a black person to fight racism?

I'm guessing this question is mostly directed towards american people? In Sweden, where I live, there isn't really any specific discrimination towards black people. At all, unless I've been living an extremely sheltered life. If I would tell someone that I'd give up my job for them just because they are black and I wanted to "balance out the equation", they would think my offer was offensive. So no.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Heh, look man, that's not how that works.
    Doing that is, too be quite honest, just as racist as you're trying to not be.
    (I already know I'm not using a textbook definition here people, thank you.)
    The thing you're not seeing is that to actually fight racism, you just stop talking about it. Don't be so preoccupied with somebodies colour. That means no "BET" or "Black Heritage Month" and no "KKK" or stereotypical "Black guy? Probably a Thug." thoughts or actions. No describing people as "White" or "Black".
    We're all humans. Bottom line.

With that logic, would I give my job up for some random guy/girl?
    That, my friend, depends entirerly on how desperately they need it. More then me? Less so?
    That. That is what you should be asking.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • This reads like a troll thread. That aside, affirmative action is racist garbage. It treats people differently based on their skin color. There is nothing more to it than that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back