• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advanced generation? Old? Well...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I get this weird view of this section every time I come here. Advanced generation has a lot of nostalgia for me. Generation V is on the way though, so generation III is like a middle child that gets forgotten now. But okay, I'm drifting away from what I'm trying to say. Do you view the advanced generation as...well, "old"? Sometimes I still think it's new, because I can remember carefully saving my little 11-year-old earnings to buy Sapphire version. Now I'm 18 and generation IV is in its last limelight and generation V is on the rise, yet I still seem to forget about that and I keep thinking generation III is ~new~ or something.

Seems like a weird topic, but it's been bugging me every time I look in here, mainly cause it's about as inactive as Metal/Color, which are ~obviously~ old.

Saitou

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    Yeah, I also wonder whether the AG games are getting old, with the fifth one on the way, but to be honest, I don't, really. Believe it or not, I still play FireRed from time to time, and have restarted it more than 10 times this year. It was my favorite version and it will stay that way.

I used to go every week to the store next to my house, to check whether FireRed is released yet. I was friends with the owner so he called me one day, and I bought it.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah...I just got to Battle Frontier in Emerald again...god I love that game...only problem is lack of good training spots....I've lost to all 7 Frontier Brains once each (Tucker was nearly defeated, but my attack missed and he got a crit).

I got LeafGreen when Platinum came out....but I still loved it. I think the Advanced Generation is in an awkward position because it's got good colour...but it's the last of the 2D games....Gen IV has 3D, Gen V has newness...Gen I/II has crappyness (graphics-wise, please don't flame me, you know I'm right about that) and nostalgia for a huge proportion of people. Us who started on Gen III are a minority online...as are Gen IV starters (Wait a couple of years until they all get to 12+ and they'll appear, xD)

So...they're old, in years (7) but that's nothing compared to Gen I (13??Or just 12??). They're a bit forgotten, though, sadly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It's been a while since I played an Advance gen. game. Maybe it's because I've been playing D/P/Pt/HG/SS too much and got used to the new graphics.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I think Gen 4 and 5 have really grown from these older games, but still, I find myself playing Emerald and Fire red from time to time. I'm kinda used to new features though.

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
  • I love the advance gen. My only problem is buying the games now, as my Firered truned out to be fake and died, and I lost my emerald. They are my favourite genartion, probably partly becuase I have'nt got any newer games becuase I don't own a DS, I only borrow friends.
    Basically, I love Gen 3, and when it's remakes come out, that's when I'll buy myself a DS, Becuase I love this gen so much.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Gen III doesn't seem old to me. Emerald was my first Pokemon game, and I remember my brother's friend/our next-door neighbor helping me through the first time. It doesn't seem long ago at all, and I still play Emerald. I play it more than I play Platinum, Pearl, and HG. But it was definitely awhile ago... we haven't lived in that house in at least four years.

Quirky

The satellites are down..
    Years
  • Gen. III doesn't strike me as being old. It does strike me, however, as being a game that seems old, because so many people have tried to forget about it. It is constantly labelled as the worst Pokemon generation, a title it doesn't deserve to have. Gen. III will never seem old to me, as it is, and will be, my favourite generation.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It's not quite to the point where it's "old" yet, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has been with the franchise since the beginning. I don't feel that it's old because the gameplay is similar (where you have to concern yourself with natures, EV spreads and so forth) and the fact that you can still transfer the Pokemon to the 4th generation games, and from there on to the 5th gen ones.

Heck, I'm considering playing through Leaf Green again. Maybe I'll even do a "Let's Play" about it.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Well its not like the graphics got any WORSE when the new game's graphics got BETTER.
    Its not old until I can look at the game and say "Those graphics are ancient!"

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I don't think the Advanced Generation have gotten old yet. That is, until Nintendo decides to make a remake of Hoenn. It could possibly be right after Generation V. I grew up and started with Gen. III, more specifically Pokemon Sapphire. That was about five years ago when it came out, but I can still remember begging my parents for Pokemon Sapphire when I first got my Gameboy Advance.

To be honest, Hoenn is in the middle of the classic and modern era of Pokemon. It was the stepping stone for future games and generations. Graphics improved, competitive battling was formed, fans bashed it for its changes, and Mirage Island is a pain in the butt; Pokemon still prospered. Pokemon, overall, is old school; Gen. III is just part of that.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I don't consider it old, as I still play Emerald at least once a week.
    It helps that I kinda got stuck in the 3rd generation, as I do not have a DS and do not like to play Pokémon Roms that much. I skipped the 4th generation, as it could not appeal to me at all. And if it wasn't for HG/SS I would have probably just stopped playing the newer games (maybe until B/W came out).

I still remember the feeling when I heard Ruby and Sapphire were on the way. It was a different feeling compared to the announcement of Sinnoh...
    I only found out aboutit a little while before it came out. I was not part of the internet community yet, and I collected everything that had pictures of the new Pokémon.
    I still remember when the 2nd Generation started to "leak". That was fun.

I agree with what BHwolfgang said earlier, that the 3rd Gen is somewhere in the middle.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I grew up with Sapphire, FireRed, Disney and POPCORN. So, whenever I come here, a lot of nostalgia just rises.
    And stuff with mom from when I was telling her what happened at school.

"Ah, well, it was... hold on, this guy got a critical ! What, err, what I ate ? Well my Pokemon ate a Sitrus Berry.... NO NO ! What are you doing ! PLEASE, let me SAVE, please..."

I really loved those times back then. :-)
    So no, they're not old, but they're old for me, since they were my first. ;-)

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I'm an old fart. So I'd consider them "rusty", not "old". I still remember the DAY me and my friends were talking about which ones we were going to get, days before they came out. I would never call them old...just somewhat forgotten (but not as bad as spinoffs *shot*).

Pancake86

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2012
    Hmm, interesting topic.
    I feel like an old fart myself. When I was 11 or 12, Gen I came out. I loved it. All the middleschoolers made fun of me for liking Pokemon since I was in middle school back then. I didn't care. I skipped generation II. When I was 18 or 19 (in 2005), I bought Ruby and Sapphire and got into Pokemon again. Then I preo-ordered Diamond and Pearl in 2007 when I was uh I think I was 20. I'm 23 now (24 in five days OMG), and I have most of the advance and current gens (except my Emerald got hacked due to my stupidty on a dare to clone a Pelliper, and I never bought HG/SS due to a weird and confusing rage I had at the time). I guess they're old to the youngsters, but hey, I recently met an 11 year old boy (my cousin's cousin who's not my cousin) this year who owns the generation III AND IV games sooooooo I guess they're not that old yet.

Remember, you can transfer Gen III Pokemon to Gen IV games via the pal park. You never know when you'll need the pal park. But hey, i'm just stupid in that reguard. :D

Peach Fresca

Underrated Pokémon Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2010
    Nope. I, too, am very nostalgic about ADV games, but I still see them as "new."
    Not sure why, honestly.

Back