• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Game Dev. Contest

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
So I would love to know, would you like to have a Game Development Contest Event?

Comment your suggestion below :)

Last edited:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I always like to show off my stuff in contests or competitions, but, usually, Game-Dev Contests involves making a game from scratch during a timeframe, soley for the contest, and I work really bad under pressure.
But that's just me, and even if I don't enter, it's nice to have some coordinated community fun once in a while! :D

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
Years
First thought, no.
If its something that takes more then a couple of weeks of your time and their isn't a big prize at the end to compensate all that time used up, it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Second thought, maybe.
It would have to end up being something quick, simple and work for a either a novice or a pro.
For example, a one map game contest.
Set the size for the map at a maximum of 1002 and the entire story needs to be played out on this map, possibly with allowances for interiors of buildings if necessary. The game then becomes solely about how the story unfolds in this one space. It shouldn't even need a package like essentials to work from, just stock standard stuff in whatever developing tool is used. Would be good for the older guys here who enter to go back to the roots and would allow those head strong newbies to get some more practice with the tools.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I'd love a Game Dev Competition, but the last one was a make a game in short limit of time, which was very unpratical since it's hard to make even a small game in a month or so, and make it actually winning-worthy.

Something small like making a map, or a special screenshot would be a better idea.

Gexeys

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 16, 2015
I think a screenshot would be best, providing it's not edited or mocked up in Photoshop. Making a faked image doesn't really count as game development. It would also be very cool to see something that includes all games rather than just Pokemon themed ones.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Making any kind of image doesn't really count as game development. It also promotes aesthetics above everything else, which is a bad thing.

It would have to end up being something quick, simple and work for a either a novice or a pro.
For example, a one map game contest.
Set the size for the map at a maximum of 1002 and the entire story needs to be played out on this map, possibly with allowances for interiors of buildings if necessary. The game then becomes solely about how the story unfolds in this one space. It shouldn't even need a package like essentials to work from, just stock standard stuff in whatever developing tool is used. Would be good for the older guys here who enter to go back to the roots and would allow those head strong newbies to get some more practice with the tools.
This sounds like a really interesting idea.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I could get behind a 1 map game contest. It is more in-depth than a simple map making contest and it actually means additional aspects of the game have to be implemented rather than just making a map in Photoshop or GIMP and submitting it.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
A 1-map game would be a fantastic idea, It would allow contestants to utilize a small amount of resources and really make every scene, everyt object, ever inch of a map to it's fullest - it would be a great way to introduce new mappers to the way all maps of a game should be arranged, and also be a fun way to mess around and get some new "completed" games out there.
I would love it, we definitely need this.

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
Years
I have no idea how competitions are started on this site but if anyone wants to run with the one map idea, go for it. I'd personally like to enter it but it would have to have started like a week ago so I could have enough time to plan my game out better. I'm back at uni soon and will likely have no time to enter -__-
Apart from that though, I refined the idea a little bit to actually set up some framework.

Map Details:
- 100x100
- Extra tiles allowed for padding
- Extra map allowances for interior of buildings. This is nullified in the case of major environment changes, they must be on the main map. So for example, you can have a cave but if the cave is going to be a major part of the game or the player is going to spend a lot of their time there, then it has to be on the 100x100 map.
- Tilesets are not Pokemon specific.

Battle Scenarios:
- Not necessary
- If used, feel free to use what you prefer.

Story:
- Heavy emphasis
- Must be a short story. To test, write it out and answer these two questions. Can it be thoroughly explained in a few sentences? If yes, use it. If no, can the entire story with main dialogue be written in under 2000 words? If yes, use it, if no, try something else?

Time Span:
- I wouldn't be the best person to determine this, I always underestimate this. I feel 2 weeks though should be sufficient.

Software:
- What ever you feel comfortable with using. Considering that a lot of us here use RPG XP, it would probably be the go to program.

Judging:
I have no idea how it could be done but,
- If it's with judges, it should use a scoring system.
- If it's open to public for voting, All games entered should be put up on a Survey Monkey and each person voting gets either 5, 4, 3 and 1 points to vote for the games our just 1 vote for the game they like.

I personally like the idea of public voting. We have the whole website at our disposal and I'm sure we could advertise the competition if need be. I feel like a scoring system will however be more fair and harder to cheat. I think Survey Monkey uses IP address to see if someone has voted or not so all you need to do is keep resetting and vote for yourself again and again which would suck.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
I have no idea how competitions are started on this site but if anyone wants to run with the one map idea, go for it. I'd personally like to enter it but it would have to have started like a week ago so I could have enough time to plan my game out better. I'm back at uni soon and will likely have no time to enter -__-
Apart from that though, I refined the idea a little bit to actually set up some framework.

Map Details:
- 100x100
- Extra tiles allowed for padding
- Extra map allowances for interior of buildings. This is nullified in the case of major environment changes, they must be on the main map. So for example, you can have a cave but if the cave is going to be a major part of the game or the player is going to spend a lot of their time there, then it has to be on the 100x100 map.
- Tilesets are not Pokemon specific.

Battle Scenarios:
- Not necessary
- If used, feel free to use what you prefer.

Story:
- Heavy emphasis
- Must be a short story. To test, write it out and answer these two questions. Can it be thoroughly explained in a few sentences? If yes, use it. If no, can the entire story with main dialogue be written in under 2000 words? If yes, use it, if no, try something else?

Time Span:
- I wouldn't be the best person to determine this, I always underestimate this. I feel 2 weeks though should be sufficient.

Software:
- What ever you feel comfortable with using. Considering that a lot of us here use RPG XP, it would probably be the go to program.

Judging:
I have no idea how it could be done but,
- If it's with judges, it should use a scoring system.
- If it's open to public for voting, All games entered should be put up on a Survey Monkey and each person voting gets either 5, 4, 3 and 1 points to vote for the games our just 1 vote for the game they like.

I personally like the idea of public voting. We have the whole website at our disposal and I'm sure we could advertise the competition if need be. I feel like a scoring system will however be more fair and harder to cheat. I think Survey Monkey uses IP address to see if someone has voted or not so all you need to do is keep resetting and vote for yourself again and again which would suck.

Its pretty much nice, but its kinda boring in some ways JK! . I recommend, 3-5 judges will judge the game, they will come from the members of the community. There will be a signup for the participants and the judges' . :)
The judges will be the one that don't want to participate but will love to judge ;)

Gexeys

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 16, 2015
I like the idea we have but it really excludes every other games that aren't pokemon or top down RPG's :/

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Yes, it's strongly limiting the kind of games you could make, but to be honest, we're mostly all here to make Pokémon games anyway, which is a kind of top-down RPG. We'd at least be able to grasp the basics of how to make such a game, especially with the RPG Maker programs making it so easy. I doubt that this restriction would actually excluding anyone, because we're all familiar with the format.

How about an addendum to the "one 100x100 map", to let people instead use "four 50x50 maps" if they prefer? Same overall floorspace, but a bit easier to deal with events and possible lag.

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
Years
How about an addendum to the "one 100x100 map", to let people instead use "four 50x50 maps" if they prefer? Same overall floorspace, but a bit easier to deal with events and possible lag.

I kinda just realised about wild Pokemon encounters too if people wanted to try and fit 2 or more routes/special areas in their games.
I think for me, the 100x100 is more of a design challenge. It sounds like a lot but once you start filling it, it can fill up pretty quickly so it soon becomes how you effectively use the space allocated to tell your story.
Four 50x50's sounds absolutely fine :)

I like the idea we have but it really excludes every other games that aren't pokemon or top down RPG's :/

I'm not entirely sure of what you mean. I guess the notion of battle scenario brought this up? Like I said it isn't necessary. The main point is that you have a restricted space to use for any kind of world and some kind of plot. You could make a game about tetris as long as their is a plot to it. Want to do an FPS too, as long as you can do it in whatever is equivalent to a 100x100 tile map, it'll be all good.The reason I reference RPG XP is that I figured one of the entry requirements might be to also include a copy of your game folder so as to allow the judges to see that you haven't cheated and since the majority of us here have that program, it would be the most logical one to use.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
The idea of the 4 50x50 map is nice since you will be no longer be limiting yourself on a single map. And it will be an ease on the creators side.

Well, if you would like to make/code another game, that will still be okay. As long as it meets the necessary requirements. :D

Back